It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 33 [4], given: 5

In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 14:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:11) correct 45% (00:56) wrong based on 765 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters had been trained over the past two years, and they received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.

A) had been trained over the past two years, and they
B) were trained over the past two years, and they had
C) were trained over the past two years and they have
D) had been trained over the past two years and that they had
E) had been trained over the past two years and that they have
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 33 [4], given: 5

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Babson '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.8
Re: In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 17:08
Somehow confusing but got it right:

First, A,B,C and wrongly imply that those " few hundred of their fighters had been trained over the past two years" received money, guns and other goodies. A,B,and C are out.

Now, in E and D, the second part of the sentence looks nice: "...they estimated that smth, and that they received.....". However only D keeps both parts parallel in Past Perfect.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 21:12
A B C are out for they create a confusion as who received the things when in fact logically the rebels received the things
D and E make it clear however E uses unnecessary change of tense when in fact we don't need any tense change as doing so would illogically put sequencing to events.the logic of the sentence does not demand any such sequencing
also note that its not because we want to maintain parallelism that we are keeping the clause in same tense for parallelism can be made even when the tense changes !!

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 61

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [2], given: 26

Schools: ISB '16

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
From the sentence we gather that :

1. interview happened last month (past)
2. rebels estimated two things during that - x&y

Since the sentence talks about something was estimated in an interview in the past - use of 'had been' is required

As estimation is of two things, parallelism is to be maintained - estimated THAT x & THAT y

Only option D fulfills both these requirements. Hence D must be the answer.

Kudos [?]: 17 [2], given: 26

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 09:46
I am sorry, I do not thing this question is right.
past perfect is used to show an acction completed before a past action.

past perfect is not used to show a past action over a period in the past, simple past is

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2014, 23:23
I got this question wrong, as i learn that past perfect tense can only be used while presenting sequence of past events,
for earlier event had + verbed form & for later simple past,

Although here no sequencing is present, can some one through light on use of past perfect tense where we used had +verb ed form in above sentence

Regards
ST

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 385 [0], given: 886

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2014, 11:13
Posting the original solution provided by Veritas.

Solution
In this problem, the most obvious decision points all revolve around verb tense. There is a clear timeline expressed in the sentence. Last month (in the past) the rebels estimated what had taken place in the time period before. This is a clear case of when the past perfect should be used (remember that it may not be REQUIRED if the timeline is clear with other words expressing time). In (A) the first part of the answer choice is perfect, but there are both structural and tense errors in the second part. The second verb “received” must be in the past perfect to match “had been trained” and it should not be separated as an independent clause: the rebels estimated two things - that fighters “had been trained” and that they “had received” two million dollars worth. (B) and (C) contain nearly identical errors but with slight changes in tense and structure. (E) has the proper parallel structure but has the improper present perfect “have received” at the end. Only (D) has both the proper structure and the correct parallel tense for the two events that took place before another event in the past. Correct answer is (D).

Kudos me if you like the post !!!

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Kudos [?]: 385 [0], given: 886

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 12:58
I have a problem in understanding the question, can any one help me here.
How are many sure that THEY refers to rebels rather than a few hundred fighters ? The question is more of selecting least incorrect answer than deliberate incorrect option.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 19:15
akhil911 wrote:
Posting the original solution provided by Veritas.

Solution
In this problem, the most obvious decision points all revolve around verb tense. There is a clear timeline expressed in the sentence. Last month (in the past) the rebels estimated what had taken place in the time period before. This is a clear case of when the past perfect should be used (remember that it may not be REQUIRED if the timeline is clear with other words expressing time). In (A) the first part of the answer choice is perfect, but there are both structural and tense errors in the second part. The second verb “received” must be in the past perfect to match “had been trained” and it should not be separated as an independent clause: the rebels estimated two things - that fighters “had been trained” and that they “had received” two million dollars worth. (B) and (C) contain nearly identical errors but with slight changes in tense and structure. (E) has the proper parallel structure but has the improper present perfect “have received” at the end. Only (D) has both the proper structure and the correct parallel tense for the two events that took place before another event in the past. Correct answer is (D).

Kudos me if you like the post !!!

pls, help

past perfect never go with a specific time in past , but simple past do
past perfect is used to show a preceding action before a past point of time

I learned english in 2000 and I learned gmat in 2001

above sentence require both simple past, we do not use past perfect for the previous past

this is basis grammar. question in og and gmatprep never have a the case inhere.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 12:36
Yes,

Even I agree that HAD should only be used to reflect a series of time point. I dont like the OA.

two HADs confuses which one happened first.

Saying that,

the parallel maker here is 'THAT'. The only two option left are D and E.

I am at least convinced towards E.

sathyadev09 wrote:
In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters had been trained over the past two years, and they received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 113

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7927 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 02:44
The confusion about this question is the use of the wrong word ‘estimated that’. When you make an estimate you always make estimate about a future event or number. If the event had happened earlier than the time of the estimation, you already have those figures in front of you. Why will you then still estimate? When you estimate about something that had happed in the past, the correct tense is to use would be perfect tense, such as would have been trained and would have received.
Had the question said that the rebels 'announced' rather than 'estimated', then it would have made perfect sense.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7927 [0], given: 364

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 112

CAT Tests
In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 10:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I want to understand more on the 'THAT and THAT' construction. Is this construction only required for 'AND' or this is required for other FANBOYS also.
For example:

Most Americans surveyed think that international environmental treaties are useless
now but that they will, or could, be useful in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could
(C) they will be or could,
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the treaties will be or could

Is the construction 'THAT...BUT THAT' is applicable here?

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you! Please give me a kudos if you like my post

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 10:30
A good question. The THAT and THAT construction is needed for other FANBOYS (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) as well. It is an example of the parallel structure that is so loved by the test makers. Tenses are also important in the first question you put up. The rebels estimated (past tense) that something had occurred in the period before their estimation. An action before another in the past takes past perfect. Thus, D is correct.

Economist GMAT Tutor
Claim your completely free, full-access trial: http://econgm.at/GMATFreeTrial
Follow us @econtestprep
Contact us at (866) 292-0660 or support@gmat.economist.com

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 283 [1], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

I want to understand more on the 'THAT and THAT' construction. Is this construction only required for 'AND' or this is required for other FANBOYS also.
For example:

well i think the answer to your question LIES in the DETAILS of PARALLELISM . the thing that we have to keep in mind is that TWO ideas can be made PARALLEL only when they are needed to be made parallel.
now with this thing in mind ,if you look at option A /B /C then you can easily knock out these choices -----why? because the ideas presented by option A/B/C are not parallel in the first place
look at option A for instance : A says: In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters had been trained over the past two years, and they [the rebel] received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.----->the ideas in bold are made parallel by default; however they are not suppose to be parallel

AND this is where you NEED that EXTRA "THAT" after "AND" ,as is done in option D.

D says: In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters had been trained over the past two years and that they had received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.
------> the parallelism is between TWO THINGS that they had ESTIMATED

Kudos [?]: 283 [1], given: 61

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 10:54
Note the OA to the second question about treaties is E, and is without the THAT and THAT construction. That is because "they" is ambiguous in all the other options. I agree with you that it is not always as simple as saying that THAT and THAT is required. When a case of ambiguity arises with the use of a THAT and THAT construction, we have to eliminate that option as a possible answer. However, if no ambiguity arises, and there is no other problem in an option containing THAT and THAT, it is often the best choice.

Economist GMAT Tutor
Claim your completely free, full-access trial: http://econgm.at/GMATFreeTrial
Follow us @econtestprep
Contact us at (866) 292-0660 or support@gmat.economist.com

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 11:39
stevekeating wrote:
Note the OA to the second question about treaties is E, and is without the THAT and THAT construction. That is because "they" is ambiguous in all the other options. I agree with you that it is not always as simple as saying that THAT and THAT is required. When a case of ambiguity arises with the use of a THAT and THAT construction, we have to eliminate that option as a possible answer. However, if no ambiguity arises, and there is no other problem in an option containing THAT and THAT, it is often the best choice.

Thanks for the explanation!
But I think the antecedent for THEY is not ambiguous because the construction 'Americans will or could be useful in the future' is not making sense. so the only possible antecedent is TREATIES.
Please correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you! Please give me a kudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 11:40
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

For example:

well i think the answer to your question LIES in the DETAILS of PARALLELISM . the thing that we have to keep in mind is that TWO ideas can be made PARALLEL only when they are needed to be made parallel.
now with this thing in mind ,if you look at option A /B /C then you can easily knock out these choices -----why? because the ideas presented by option A/B/C are not parallel in the first place
look at option A for instance : A says: In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters had been trained over the past two years, and they [the rebel] received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.----->the ideas in bold are made parallel by default; however they are not suppose to be parallel

AND this is where you NEED that EXTRA "THAT" after "AND" ,as is done in option D.

D says: In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few hundred of their fighters had been trained over the past two years and that they had received close to two million dollars worth of ammunition, guns, and heavy artillery during the same time period.
------> the parallelism is between TWO THINGS that they had ESTIMATED

Simple explanation. Thank you so much!

G

Kudos [?]: 9086 [0], given: 1155

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 12:35

Kudos [?]: 9086 [0], given: 1155

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 02:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 05:07
May I ask a question?

I wonder if it would be also right to say
-estimated that a few hundred of their fighters "had been trained over the past two years and they had"?
Do we have to repeat "that" in a parallelism like that?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2017, 05:07

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

In an interview last month, the rebels estimated that a few

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap