GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 11:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2014
Posts: 58
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User
In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Dec 2014, 07:43
2
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (01:06) correct 69% (01:50) wrong based on 150 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 40 degrees. What is the value of angle DAB?

(1) AD is angular bisector of angle A.
(2) AB x CD = AC x BD

Originally posted by raj44 on 12 Dec 2014, 07:10.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Dec 2014, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Posts: 66
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 500 Q36 V23
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2014, 15:03
Can anybody explain why the answer is E?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2014
Posts: 58
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2014, 00:33
viktorija wrote:
Can anybody explain why the answer is E?


The answer is E because the question stem doesn't specify which 2 angles are equal, angle A or angle C could both be equal to 40. Also, the 2 statements mean the same- AD as angle bisector itself means ab x bd = ac x dc
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2014
Posts: 137
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 06:55
raj44 wrote:
viktorija wrote:
Can anybody explain why the answer is E?


The answer is E because the question stem doesn't specify which 2 angles are equal, angle A or angle C could both be equal to 40. Also, the 2 statements mean the same- AD as angle bisector itself means ab x bd = ac x dc


Unable to understand how ab x bd = ac x dc means AD is angle bisector?

ab ac
--- = ----
bd dc

means ABD and ACD are simliar triangles , not same triangles.
Sides are in proportion, does it mean angles are same?

Kindly clarify.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8132
Location: Pune, India
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 08:59
2
anupamadw wrote:
raj44 wrote:
viktorija wrote:
Can anybody explain why the answer is E?


The answer is E because the question stem doesn't specify which 2 angles are equal, angle A or angle C could both be equal to 40. Also, the 2 statements mean the same- AD as angle bisector itself means ab x bd = ac x dc


Unable to understand how ab x bd = ac x dc means AD is angle bisector?

ab ac
--- = ----
bd dc

means ABD and ACD are simliar triangles , not same triangles.
Sides are in proportion, does it mean angles are same?

Kindly clarify.


It's the angle bisector theorem. Check Wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_bisector_theorem
_________________

Karishma
Private Tutor for GMAT
Contact: bansal.karishma@gmail.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 174
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 02:04
raj44 wrote:
In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 40 degrees. What is the value of angle DAB?

(1) AD is angular bisector of angle A.
(2) AB x CD = AC x BD




Bunuel,
I have one query here.
Does the angle bisector extends 90 degree angle at base?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47157
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 02:17
ssriva2 wrote:
raj44 wrote:
In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 40 degrees. What is the value of angle DAB?

(1) AD is angular bisector of angle A.
(2) AB x CD = AC x BD




Bunuel,
I have one query here.
Does the angle bisector extends 90 degree angle at base?


Sorry, I don't understand what you mean...
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 174
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 03:06
I hope its clear now.i have attached figure for same
Attachments

File comment: Does angle bisector extends 90 degree on the hypotenuse
IMG_20150525_153013_AO_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150525_153013_AO_HDR.jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 4225 times ]

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47157
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 03:12
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 1792
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 08:11
1
ssriva2 wrote:
I hope its clear now.i have attached figure for same


Hi ssriva2,

You can also understand this property in the following manner. Refer the diagram below:

Image

In the diagram, ABC is an isosceles triangle with sides AB = AC. As angles opposite the equal sides are equal we have ∠B = ∠C = \(x\). Also AD is the angle bisector of ∠A, therefore ∠BAD = ∠CAD = \(\frac{y}{2}\).

We can also see from the above figure that ∠BDA = ∠CDA = \(z\) (as ∠BDA = ∠CDA = \(180 - x - \frac{y}{2}\))

We also know that in triangle ABC, \(2x + y = 180\). Similarly in triangle ABD we can write \(z + x + \frac{y}{2} = 180\) i.e. \(2z + 2x + y = 360\).

Since \(2x + y = 180\), we have \(2z + 180 = 360\) i.e. \(z = 90\).

However please note that the only the angle bisector of the non-equal angle of an isosceles triangle will be perpendicular to the opposite base i.e. the non-equal side. Also AD bisects base BC i.e. BD = DC. These properties will not apply to the equal angles and the equal sides.

In case of an equilateral triangle, we know that \(x = 60\) and \(\frac{y}{2} = 30\), hence \(z = 90\).
In an equilateral triangle since all angles and sides are equal, these properties would apply to any of the angles and sides.

Hope it's clear :)

Regards
Harsh
_________________







Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets



| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 361
CAT Tests
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 03:07
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
ssriva2 wrote:
I hope its clear now.i have attached figure for same


Hi ssriva2,

You can also understand this property in the following manner. Refer the diagram below:

Image

In the diagram, ABC is an isosceles triangle with sides AB = AC. As angles opposite the equal sides are equal we have ∠B = ∠C = \(x\). Also AD is the angle bisector of ∠A, therefore ∠BAD = ∠CAD = \(\frac{y}{2}\).

We can also see from the above figure that ∠BDA = ∠CDA = \(z\) (as ∠BDA = ∠CDA = \(180 - x - \frac{y}{2}\))

We also know that in triangle ABC, \(2x + y = 180\). Similarly in triangle ABD we can write \(z + x + \frac{y}{2} = 180\) i.e. \(2z + 2x + y = 360\).

Since \(2x + y = 180\), we have \(2z + 180 = 360\) i.e. \(z = 90\).

However please note that the only the angle bisector of the non-equal angle of an isosceles triangle will be perpendicular to the opposite base i.e. the non-equal side. Also AD bisects base BC i.e. BD = DC. These properties will not apply to the equal angles and the equal sides.

In case of an equilateral triangle, we know that \(x = 60\) and \(\frac{y}{2} = 30\), hence \(z = 90\).
In an equilateral triangle since all angles and sides are equal, these properties would apply to any of the angles and sides.

Hope it's clear :)

Regards
Harsh




So based on this itself why is it E? why not D?
Re: In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4 &nbs [#permalink] 05 Nov 2017, 03:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In an Isosceles Triangle ABC, point D lies on segment BC. Angle B is 4

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.