It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 240 [2], given: 2

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:03) correct 38% (01:36) wrong based on 327 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House scientific
conference on new findings that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and
emotional skills as
an active process that may be largely completed before age three.

A. that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
B. that are indicative of a child acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills,
that it is
D. indicating that a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills is
E. indicative of a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills as
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Last edited by dkverma on 18 Oct 2010, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 240 [2], given: 2

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7872 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)
Re: New Findings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:11
D for me; Explanation follows.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7872 [0], given: 363

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 18

Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:19
dkverma wrote:
In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day White House scientific
conference on new findings that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and
emotional skills as an active process that may be largely completed before age three.

A. that indicates a child’s acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
B. that are indicative of a child acquiring language, thinking, and emotional skills as
C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills,
that it is
D. indicating that a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills is
E. indicative of a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills as

D is correct.
A- Incorrect: there is subject-verb disagreement. should be "indicate". Moreover, the se of "as" is incorrect in this context.
B- Incorrect: very awkward. "as" is wrongly used.
C- Incorrect: parallelism, infinitive.
D- Incorrect: awkward construction.

Manager
Manager

Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:20
daagh wrote:
D for me; Explanation follows.

How did you know that :lol:

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 7872 [2], given: 363

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

- Findings that indicates - Serious S- V mismatch; Don’t take the argument that -indicates - is the singular verb of conference; A conference never indicates, its discussions or findings do.

-Indicative of a child – a circumlocutory expression – Findings that indicate or indicating - is more forthright

C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills, that it is

-Findings to indicate -is awkward and unidiomatic –

D. indicating that a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills is -best among the lot.

As in B, -Indicative of a child – a circumlocutory expression – Findings that indicate or indicating - is more forthright

D therefore is the right choice

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7872 [2], given: 363

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 13:58
Thanks daagh for the explanation. D is the OA.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2013, 21:37
daagh wrote:

- Findings that indicates - Serious S- V mismatch; Don’t take the argument that -indicates - is the singular verb of conference; A conference never indicates, its discussions or findings do.

-Indicative of a child – a circumlocutory expression – Findings that indicate or indicating - is more forthright

C. to indicate that when a child acquires language, thinking, and emotional skills, that it is

-Findings to indicate -is awkward and unidiomatic –

D. indicating that a child’s acquisition of language, thinking, and emotional skills is -best among the lot.

As in B, -Indicative of a child – a circumlocutory expression – Findings that indicate or indicating - is more forthright

D therefore is the right choice

Could you please explain why indicating can not refer to ' Hillary Rodham Clinton'. I thought indicating is ambiguous and so ruled D out

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 7872 [1], given: 363

Re: In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2013, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
@Conquistador22

If ‘indicating’ were to modify Hillary, then there should be a comma between findings and indicating. In the absence of a comma, the participle modifier will simply attach to the noun before.

Kudos [?]: 7872 [1], given: 363

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 08:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 11:44
daagh wrote:
Conquistador22

If ‘indicating’ were to modify Hillary, then there should be a comma between findings and indicating. In the absence of a comma, the participle modifier will simply attach to the noun before.

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola Company in July 1985 yielded to
thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
A. demanding that it should
B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to

In this example there was no comma, and the right answer was D since A could refer to The coca cola company. Can you explain how I should attack such problems? In this question i thought that indicative is better since indicating may have referred to hilary.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 11:44

In April 1997, Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted an all-day

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap