GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 06:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 61
In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Mar 2019, 22:05
6
19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (02:00) correct 63% (01:50) wrong based on 988 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.


(A) In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(B) In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(C) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion.

(D) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion.

(E) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

Originally posted by actleader on 31 Oct 2012, 12:48.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Mar 2019, 22:05, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 510
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2012, 07:04
8
1
kamalpreet151 wrote:
how is king Henry's defiance is in contrast with a drama???


Contrast: The tensed drama is "PRIVATE", while King Henry's defiance is "PUBLIC"

The defiance heralded an end of Act III, which was characteristics of certain activities:
as the king defies..., divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and
proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

In that sense, E is correct.
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2012, 04:14
2
1
actleader wrote:
In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(A) In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(B) In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(C) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion.

(D) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion.


(E)
In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.


I choose C as the OA...
All the other option has a pronoun he, which doesn't have an antecedent because king henry is serving as adjective not as noun
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2012, 05:04
how is king Henry's defiance is in contrast with a drama???
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Posts: 28
GPA: 3.65
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2012, 12:35
1
actleader wrote:
In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(A) In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(B) In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(C) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion.

(D) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion.


(E)
In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.




I had selected Option B,,,,can anyone explain my mistake??/or can explain OA??
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 510
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2012, 14:07
4
Quote:
I had selected Option B,,,,can anyone explain my mistake??/or can explain OA??


Hi Maryam,
if you've read the original sentence carefully, you would realize that its trying to compare two things.
For example, in contrast to X, Y; as in saying: in contrast to a military regime, the civilian administration
makes laws, which requires both the Senate and House of Reps to subject such bills to debate before it
is passed into law.
In contrast to a dude, a lady will most likely prefer to be a good listener in matters of relationship.

Does that make sense?

Now, back to your question.
We can equally say: unlike X, Y.
Unlike the private drama, the public defiance of King Henry brought Act III to a thrilling conclusion..2 opposing
scenario.
However, option B compares the "tensed private drama" to "a thrilling conclusion of Act III"...that's illogical, right?
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 510
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2012, 14:16
1
Quote:
(E)In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic
Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine,
takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.


Even I have doubts regarding E, the OA.
It says: ".....KING HENRY'S PUBLIC DEFIANCE of the Roman Catholic Church brings..., as HE defies ..."

What does "HE" refer to?

On such occasion, it might be noteworthy to ask what the source might be.
Over to you, Actleader.
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 510
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Nov 2012, 17:31
gmatbull wrote:
Quote:
(E)In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic
Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine,
takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.


Even I have doubts regarding E, the OA.
It says: ".....KING HENRY'S PUBLIC DEFIANCE of the Roman Catholic Church brings..., as HE defies ..."

What does "HE" refer to?

On such occasion, it might be noteworthy to ask what the source might be.
Over to you, Actleader.

I was making reference to the possessive poison rule, but I learn the rule is of no effect,
Meaning, "he" can actually refer to "King Henry's"
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.


Originally posted by gmatbull on 11 Nov 2012, 13:45.
Last edited by gmatbull on 28 Nov 2012, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1102
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Premium Member
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2012, 02:48
2
gmatbull wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
Quote:
(E)In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic
Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine,
takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.


Even I have doubts regarding E, the OA.
It says: ".....KING HENRY'S PUBLIC DEFIANCE of the Roman Catholic Church brings..., as HE defies ..."

What does "HE" refer to?

On such occasion, it might be noteworthy to ask what the source might be.
Over to you, Actleader.

I was making reference to the possessive poison rule, but I learn the rule is of no effect,
Meaning, "he" can actually refer to "King Henry"



The rule still applies. It states:

Possessive noun + Possessive Pronoun - CORRECT (X's salary is too high as is his stature) (dont try to make sense out of these sentences :) )
Possessive noun + non-possessive pronoun - INCORRECT (X's salary is too high as he lives in NY)
NP noun + P Pronoun - CORRECT ( X is a great man, and his children are blabla)
NP Noun + NP Pronoun - CORRECT (X is a great man, and he is blabla)

basically:
if the referent is a 'normal' (non-possessive) noun, then the pronoun can be in any case.
if the referent is in the possessive case, then the pronoun can only be possessive.

so essentially only when the noun is in possessive case and the pronoun is not in possessive case is this construction wrong. That is the case here.

Hence there is ambiguity and probably the question is not reflective of what you might get on the test day.

Best
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 510
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2012, 11:41
Hi Jumsumtak,

I actually encountered a number of "official" questions from recognized Test Preps, which violate the so-called
"Possessive Poison" rule.
Am sorry, I have not been able to trace the questions, but the post from Manhattan (the originator or the concept)
may be of help.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... t5164.html

Also, you can read this:
here-is-the-latest-flash-on-the-possessive-poison-front-108522.html



Just google "possessive poison" on gmat forums.

Hope the information was helpful...
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

VP
VP
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1102
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Premium Member
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2012, 15:27
2
gmatbull wrote:
Hi Jumsumtak,

I actually encountered a number of "official" questions from recognized Test Preps, which violate the so-called
"Possessive Poison" rule.
Am sorry, I have not been able to trace the questions, but the post from Manhattan (the originator or the concept)
may be of help.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... t5164.html

Also, you can read this:
here-is-the-latest-flash-on-the-possessive-poison-front-108522.html



Just google "possessive poison" on gmat forums.

Hope the information was helpful...



Hey gmatbull,

Request you to re-read the Manhattan post you mentioned. It says the same thing as I wrote in my post above. In fact I picked a part of it from there itself.

I quote Ron here:

the "rule" is:
* POSSESSIVE NOUN with NON-POSSESSIVE PRONOUN is NOT OK.
BUT
ALL OTHER COMBINATIONS are ok.
i.e.
possessive noun with possessive pronoun is ok.
non-possessive noun with non-possessive pronoun is ok.
non-possessive noun with possessive pronoun is ok.

that's the complete version of the rule -- which, not surprisingly, tends to confuse a lot more than it tends to enlighten. also, although it may help you eliminate the odd answer choice here and there, it has NEVER actually been required to solve an official problem.

so:
ONLY use this "rule" if you understand it 100.0000%. if there is absolutely any confusion at all, just ignore this rule and pretend that you have never seen it.


Hope this helps.

Best
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2013
Posts: 24
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2013, 23:33
(A) In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. - passive voice. incorrect.

(B) In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. - passive voice. incorrect.

(C) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion. - modifier issue, TENSE issue. incorrect.

(D) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion. - same as C. incorrect.

(E)In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. - active voice, no modifier issue. correct.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4692
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2015, 22:32
2
2
The issue at stake is the comparison. We need something to contrast the private drama
A. In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. --- Act III is not a proper contrast to the private drama – so wrong

B. In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. –--- a thrilling conclusion is not a contrast to the private drama.

C. In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion. ----– King Henry is not a contrast to private drama.

D. In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion. – mere defiance is not an adequate contrast to a private drama.

E. In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England ---- Public defiance is the correct contrast. Hence, E is the answer
_________________

GMAT tuition under able guidance is less expensive and time-consuming than self-study in the final reckoning

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1107
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2015, 14:15
1
In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

A. In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.............possessive form of antecedent does not correlate to its pronoun.

B. In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.
possessive form of antecedent does not correlate to its pronoun.

C. In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion........king is compared to drama

D. In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion.........................defiance repeats in redundancy and option s wordy and clumsier

E. In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

Although E is better than other choices, how can he refer to Henry when noun is in possessive form?
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2562
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 19:45
1
i have encountered this question before.
NONE of the answers is correct.
a pronoun cannot refer to a "possessive" thing, as "king henry's" is an adjective. since a pronoun MUST refer to a noun, E is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 179
GPA: 3.31
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 09:33
In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

King Henry's public defiance is compared with 'tense private drama'.

(A) In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.
Act III is not in contrast to tense private drama

(B) In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

a thrilling conclusion is not in contrast to the tense private drama.

(C) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion.

King Henry is not ' In contrast to the tense private drama'
(D) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion.
wrong sentence construction.

(E)In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.
_________________

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 261
Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 00:44
Hi Expert,

please help why choice A is incorrect and Choice C is correct. Choice A correctly compares tense private drama with Act III, and there is no other difference between choice A and choice other than choice a is passive and choice E is active. To me, choice A makes more sense.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2883
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 02:42
2
AR15J wrote:
Hi Expert,

please help why choice A is incorrect and Choice C is correct. Choice A correctly compares tense private drama with Act III, and there is no other difference between choice A and choice other than choice a is passive and choice E is active. To me, choice A makes more sense.


You are right - in the real test it is not expected that an answer is eliminated just because of the voice issue - passive voice is NOT grammatically wrong.

Moreover note the pronoun error - "he" does not have an antecedent ("King Henry's" is possessive and hence cannot be an antecedent of a subject pronoun).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 387
Schools: Dartmouth College
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 04:18
mvictor wrote:
a pronoun cannot refer to a "possessive" thing, as "king henry's" is an adjective. since a pronoun MUST refer to a noun, E is incorrect.

A subject pronoun may refer to a possessive.
The OA to SC805 in the OG18:
Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.
Here, the referent for she (subject pronoun) is Elizabeth Barrett Browning's (possessive).
_________________

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Status: when you say,"I can or I can't", Both times you are right!
Joined: 26 Nov 2018
Posts: 28
Location: India
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 23:47
gmatbull wrote:
kamalpreet151 wrote:
how is king Henry's defiance is in contrast with a drama???


Contrast: The tensed drama is "PRIVATE", while King Henry's defiance is "PUBLIC"

The defiance heralded an end of Act III, which was characteristics of certain activities:
as the king defies..., divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and
proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

In that sense, E is correct.




what "he" is referring to?

Rescue me out!!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2019, 23:47

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrill

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.