GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

In need of GMAT counselling Please Help :)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
In need of GMAT counselling Please Help :)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 15:05
Hi,

I'm a B.tech student (Mechatronics Department), I have completed my B.tech in july 2018. I have strong plans to give GMAT in 2019 september and study and settle abroad Australia, USA or Canada preferably.
Right now I'm working with a US based IT company in Gurgaon since last 2 months
I've gone through a lot of videos over the internet and a lot of methods to prepare.
But the more I look at the more it confuses.

Please help with following Queries.

How much experience should I take from this job to get a good B-school and job assurance after it?
    As I don't get much time from how much time how much time do I need to invest if I start studying by end of September.??
    Which would be the best time to apply?
    I have a low gpa 6.5/10.0 in B.tech due to some reason but have a good determination and brain to crack and study, even the 12th percentage is much better i.e 87% how much will this affect my admision.? And how to improve them?
    and most importantly
    How to start preparing and with what kind of study material?

Looking forward and relying on your replies.
Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In need of GMAT counselling Please Help :)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 20:29
aishps wrote:
Hi,

I'm a B.tech student (Mechatronics Department), I have completed my B.tech in july 2018. I have strong plans to give GMAT in 2019 september and study and settle abroad Australia, USA or Canada preferably.
I've gone through a lot of videos over the internet and a lot of methods to prepare.

How much experience should I take from this job to get a good B-school and job assurance after it?
    As I don't get much time from how much time how much time do I need to invest if I start studying by end of September.??
    I have a low gpa 6.5/10.0 in B.tech due to some reason but have a good determination and brain to crack and study, even the 12th percentage is much better i.e 87% how much will this affect my admision.? And how to improve them?
    and most importantly

Hi
I will try to answer your questions:
How much experience should I take from this job to get a good B-school and job assurance after it? - Varies from college to college. Its better to go through the individual college websites and check the eligibility criteria for MBA.
As I don't get much time from how much time how much time do I need to invest if I start studying by end of September.?? - The following post will help you:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html

Which would be the best time to apply? - Based on the eligibility criteria of number of years of experience required.
I have a low gpa 6.5/10.0 in B.tech due to some reason but have a good determination and brain to crack and study, even the 12th percentage is much better i.e 87% how much will this affect my admision.? And how to improve them? - Try to get a high score on the GMAT (Atleast near or higher than the mean Gmat score mentioned in the college website)
and most importantly
How to start preparing and with what kind of study material? - Refer the following post -
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 23:03
hey there, I don't have answers for all your questions, but here's what I do:

As I don't get much time from how much time how much time do I need to invest if I start studying by end of September.?? You have a year till you plan to take the GMAT. This is actually more than I would recommend to prepare for the GMAT. Depending on your level of English, 100 to 120 hours of effective learning should suffice.The optimal time is between 6 to 8 weeks, but this amount of hours can alternately be spread out over a longer amount of time. Less is not sufficient, and, on the other hand, if you give yourself too long, like 3 to 4 months, you’ll start forgetting what you learned at the beginning. This is important, because all the knowledge is interconnected.
3 months is is really the longest study plan I would suggest - if that's what you decide to go for, you may want to [url]=https://exampal.com/gmat/blog/how-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-in-3-months/read this[/url]

and most importantly
Here are a few quick thoughts on the different ways one can study:
- A classroom based GMAT Course
makes sense if you feel comfortable in a classroom setting, your budget is very high, you are self-motivated and don’t have big gaps in your knowledge that need special attention, and your schedule can accommodate a course that meets at a specific time every week. However, as every GMAT student knows, the real work happens back at home, outside the classroom, when you practice and try to figure out solutions by yourself.
- online courses allow us to choose our own time and place. However, many of these are videos of a power point presentation showing the course material followed by a bulk of practice questions.
- Live online courses are also an option. These have a similar experience to the old fashioned GMAT class except you watch the tutor through a screen. When taking an in-person or live-online course we should make sure that we will have enough face time.
- Private tutoring makes sense if we need a very high score and an individual study plan, and especially – if we have extra money to spare in order to get additional attention and feedback or to spend more time on certain areas. Putting cost aside, even the best private tutors only know what they see in the few questions that you’ve solved in front of them.
- regarding books, the OG is a must. aside from that, I wouldn't base my studies on books. the gmat is a computer adaptive test, while books are neither of those things.
- Exampal (my company) has a different type of course, online computer assisted customised learning. This uses personalised machine learning to monitor thousands of students, and provides you with the approaches that proved most efficient for each given question.

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 23:55
Hi aishps,

I see that among other things you are confused about the amount of time required, how to study, and which resources to use. We have covered answers to all these questions in our detailed article on Personalized Study Plan. It also has 3 sample plans which you can adapt to your situation or write to us at support@e-gmat.com if you need help with it.
While reviewing the various options for courses that you have, you must look at the following factors: 
1. Will the course work for you? Look at the free trial resources of various courses out there and evaluate their teaching methodologies. Choose the one which suits your needs. 
2. Is the course proven to deliver success to students like you? – Look at the reviews of courses out there and see what others have to say and then decide. 

EXPERIENCE THE e-GMAT FREE TRIAL

  I’m sharing some direct links of free trial material with you which can help you evaluate our course better. More of them (25 video lessons and 380+ practice questions) are available on your free trial dashboard. 
  
Check out our Video concept files.  
• Learn to identify "Verb-ed" forms that don’t act as verbs - Play Video Lesson 
• Learn to understand the "Main Point" or purpose of a RC Paragraph - Play Video Lesson

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 08:52
Top Contributor
aishps wrote:
Hi,

and most importantly

You want to allocate 3 months with at least 1 month of serious studying.

Start off studying sort of "on-the-side" -- then once you commit to kicking things into high-gear -- then it's nothing but studying. Live, breath, and sleep the GMAT for full entire days. And then rest -- and then go at it again - then rest. Then review - and kickass on the exam.

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

We also recommend a "Divide and Conquer" approach first.

That is - focus on specific sections - like Sentence Correction. Dedicate an entire day - heck, dedicate multiple consecutive days dedicated ONLY to sentence correction.

For example: tomorrow is "Sentence Correction Day" - and don't move on until you feel you've made a significant improvement and have results to show.

If you operate with that kind of work ethic - and apply that process to RC, RC, PS, DS, etc. -- then you will have individually made good progress in each section.

Then from there, it's about mixing and matching different verbal and quant questions - just as you would see them on the actual test. So take practice tests to simulate this mental switch between different question types under time pressure.

For practice, we recommend the practice tests from mba.com as was from supplemental resources such as this one from GMAT Pill:
http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

To learn more about GMAT Pill - read our stories at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 21:01
Hi aishps,

If you're not planning to take the GMAT for another year, then you have plenty of time to plan out your studies and your application timeline - which is good.

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to, but it's not clear whether you've actually defined those factors or not. Here are some factors to consider:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

When you do choose to begin your studies, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 18:30
Hi aishps,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Before I provide advice regarding your most important question of how to prepare for the GMAT, it would be helpful to know your baseline GMAT score. Thus, could you please take an official MBA.com practice exam?

Once you complete the exam, please report back here with your score breakdown, and I can provide some further advice.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In need of GMAT counselling Please Help :) &nbs [#permalink] 24 Aug 2018, 18:30

In need of GMAT counselling Please Help :)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap