Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 960 [21]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Overall, considering the placement of commas and the modifications, It looks A and C are equally good. But the controversy about a smoking habit or habit of smoking is something that we have to endure. There could be arguments and counter - arguments for and against both. For example; we may argue that a leading person is one who is leading; a flying bird is the one that is flying (and not stationary). Similarly, can’t we mean that a smoking habit is a habit that smokes? We can also say, the habit of smoking is a habit possessed by smoking. Ain’t GMAT SC questions more decisive?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [6]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
'the' smoking habit refers to particular smoking habit. Ex. Chain or occasional or any other type. 'a' smoking habit refers to general habit. Common noun.

Ex. Dwight is too smart to make a mistake. >>> any mistake
Dwight is too smart to make the mistake. >>> a particular mistake

Hope you got it.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [16]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here we have to understand whether information is necessary for the sentence to convey the idea or additional.
Here in option A. located behind the ear is additional information. Thus, it is presented as non essential form separated by comma.

Even without this information we can deliver the intended message. Therefore, presenting this part separated by comma is ok.

Further a habit or the habit is a split. We should use a habit, because we are talking about general habit of smoking not any specific referenced smoking.
C and E can be eliminated.

We can eliminate B and D because located behind the ear is presented as essential information, but in original sentence it is presented as non essential.

In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.
a. brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.
b. brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
c. brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
d. brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.
e. brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
PiyushK wrote:
Here we have to understand whether information is necessary for the sentence to convey the idea or additional.
Here in option A. located behind the ear is additional information. Thus, it is presented as non essential form separated by comma.

Even without this information we can deliver the intended message. Therefore, presenting this part separated by comma is ok.

Further a habit or the habit is a split. We should use a habit, because we are talking about general habit of smoking not any specific referenced smoking.

We can eliminate B and D because located behind the ear is presented as essential information, but in original sentence it is presented as non essential.

In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.
a. brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.
b. brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
c. brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
d. brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.
e. brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking

I thought that the comma was not logically placed because that part of the sentence was crucial for understanding.

Either way, don't you prefer the term "the habit of smoking" to the term "a smoking habit"?
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
ronr34 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

I thought that the comma was not logically placed because that part of the sentence was crucial for understanding.

Either way, don't you prefer the term "the habit of smoking" to the term "a smoking habit"?

Read following sentence don't you think that sentence without modifier is expressing main idea.
Scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.

Further to understand the difference between the and a have a look at following sentences.
I saw a animal
I saw the animal

a animal refers to any animal not any specific one.
Lets say we know the context and we know a tiger is around and if some one says I saw the animal then in that case the animal is referring to the tiger a specific animal. Similarly the smoking is referring to some specific case of smoking but we want to express general smoking.

I hope its clear now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
bibha wrote:
 brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
 brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
 brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
 brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
 brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking

Here is the OA/OE:

The original sentence is correct as written. Commas are used correctly to separate the parenthetical expression located behind the ear from the rest of the sentence.
(A) The phrase located behind the ear is correctly separated from the rest of the sentence by commas.

(B) The lack of commas in this option turns the sentence into a run-on.

(C) Though commas are used correctly here, the phrase the habit of smoking is wordy.

(D) A comma is needed after the word brain to make the sentence grammatically correct.

(E) The phrases the one located by behind the ear and the habit of smoking are both unnecessarily wordy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM