Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [9]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 371 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In the diagram above, WZ = XZ, and circular arc [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
johnwesley wrote:
I can bet this is not a real GMAT question. Too much complicated, and I always say GMAT is complicated... but not that much. It is not possible to have a question that will take you more than 3 minutes for sure. And I did GMAT two years ago.

I would say, this is probably at the outer limit of what could appear on the GMAT, in terms of difficulty. I would imagine the CAT would throw something like this at you only if you were getting almost every other math question right. It's true, most people cannot solve this in under 3 minutes, but most people would not ever see this question --- the CAT would have no reason to give them something this hard. Someone very skilled in math, someone acing the Quantitative Section, could see something like this and probably could dispatch this question in under a minute. It's all a matter of perspective.

BTW, I love your founder-of-the-Methodists screenname. :-)

Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
I agree Mike, that GMAT might throw this to someone who has aced 15 questions in a row. Someone in higher rungs of Q50 and lower rungs of Q51. Still now harm in flexing your maths muscle. I was on the right track to solving this in 90 seconds but miscalculated the area of the entire arc by twice. Hence took 3 mins. The graph question on the link you shared is a bit too tough and needs very accurate graphing (one needs to verify where the line cuts the 4 sides of the square, which is not an easy task without graph).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 371 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
johnwesley wrote:
I can bet this is not a real GMAT question. Too much complicated, and I always say GMAT is complicated... but not that much. It is not possible to have a question that will take you more than 3 minutes for sure. And I did GMAT two years ago.

I would say, this is probably at the outer limit of what could appear on the GMAT, in terms of difficulty. I would imagine the CAT would throw something like this at you only if you were getting almost every other math question right. It's true, most people cannot solve this in under 3 minutes, but most people would not ever see this question --- the CAT would have no reason to give them something this hard. Someone very skilled in math, someone acing the Quantitative Section, could see something like this and probably could dispatch this question in under a minute. It's all a matter of perspective.

BTW, I love your founder-of-the-Methodists screenname. :-)

Many thanks... you are right: this is a very difficult one. Many thanks for posting it.

And are you the Michael McGarry (born 17 May 1965)? The successful association footballer who frequently represented New Zealand in the 1980s and 90s? :lol:

Best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Attachment:
right isosceles triangle with sector.JPG

In the diagram above, WZ = XZ, and circular arc XY has a center at W. If a point is selected from anywhere within this figure, what is the probability that it is selected from the shaded region?

(A) \(\frac{{\pi}-2}{{\pi}}\)

(B) \(\frac{{\pi}-1}{2{\pi}}\)

(C) \(\frac{2{\pi}-3}{4{\pi}}\)

(D) \(\frac{4{\pi}-1}{8{\pi}}\)

(E) \(\frac{6{\pi}-3}{8{\pi}}\)

For the complete solution to this problem, as well as a detailed discussion of geometric probability, please see this post:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/geometric- ... -the-gmat/

\(Beauty\). It is a definite GMAT type question because I encountered a similar sort of problem in the real exam! I know I got it right!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts