GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the diagram, what is the value of x?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 17
In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Jul 2013, 15:16
18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:30) correct 67% (02:41) wrong based on 141 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
isofindx.jpg
isofindx.jpg [ 7 KiB | Viewed 18719 times ]
In the diagram, what is the value of x?

A. \(1+sqrt(2)\)
B. \(1+sqrt(3)\)
C. \(2sqrt(2)\)
D. \(sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)\)
E. \(2sqrt(3)\)


I know we aren't supposed to solve this through any use of trigonometry rules, but I'm not sure how to go about solving this within 2 minutes. I've tried dropping perpendicular from one of the vertices at the base to form a 30-60-90 triangle within the triangle, but I think I'm getting stuck with the algebra now?

Originally posted by essarr on 31 Mar 2012, 13:06.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Jul 2013, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58430
Re: find side length of isosceles triangle  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2012, 14:16
7
5
essarr wrote:
In the diagram, what is the value of x?

A. \(1+sqrt(2)\)
B. \(1+sqrt(3)\)
C. \(2sqrt(2)\)
D. \(sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)\)
E. \(2sqrt(3)\)


I know we aren't supposed to solve this through any use of trigonometry rules, but I'm not sure how to go about solving this within 2 minutes. I've tried dropping perpendicular from one of the vertices at the base to form a 30-60-90 triangle within the triangle, but I think I'm getting stuck with the algebra now?


Rotate the diagram as shown below:
Attachment:
Ttriangle.png
Ttriangle.png [ 23.26 KiB | Viewed 18704 times ]
Triangle BDC is a 30°-60°-90° right triangle. Now, in a right triangle where the angles are 30°, 60°, and 90° the sides are always in the ratio \(1 : \sqrt{3}: 2\), the leg opposite 30° (BD) corresponds with \(1\), thethe leg opposite 60° (DC) corresponds with \(\sqrt{3}\), and the hypotenuse \(BC=x\) corresponds with 2. So, since \(BC=x\) then \(BD=\frac{x}{2}\) and \(DC=\frac{x\sqrt{3}}{2}\).

Also notice that \(AD=AC-DC=x-\frac{x\sqrt{3}}{2}\).

Next, from Pythagoras theorem \(AB^2=BD^2+AD^2\) --> \(2=(\frac{x}{2})^2+(x-\frac{x\sqrt{3}}{2})^2\) --> \(2=x^2(\frac{1}{4}+1-2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{3}{4})\) --> \(2=x^2(2-\sqrt{3})\) --> \(x^2=\frac{2}{2-\sqrt{3}}\) --> rationalize: \(x^2=\frac{2*(2+\sqrt{3})}{(2-\sqrt{3})(2+\sqrt{3})}=4+2\sqrt{3}\) --> \(x^2=4+2\sqrt{3}=(\sqrt{3})^2+2\sqrt{3}+1=(\sqrt{3}+1)^2\) --> \(x=\sqrt{3}+1\).

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 17
Re: find side length of isosceles triangle  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2012, 15:36
1
Bunuel wrote:
In the diagram, what is the value of x?

...
--> \(x^2=4+2\sqrt{3}=(\sqrt{3})^2+2\sqrt{3}+1=(\sqrt{3}+1)^2\) --> \(x=\sqrt{3}+1\).




I got up to the \(x^2 = 4 + 2sqrt(3)\)... lol, i don't think i'd ever be able to recognize the way you rationalized it after that in a test situation, although it does make perfect sense.. bringing back memories of first-year calculus when we had to rationalize like this..

thanks so much!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Posts: 302
Find length x of triangle  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2015, 15:57
1
I was looking at the advanced quant book for mgmat and I came across this problem. In my head I figured that it is an isosceles triangle, with the remaining angles as 75 degrees. Since the 30 degree angle matches up with a √2 (~1.4), and 75 degrees is 2.5x bigger than the 30 degrees, then the triangle side X must be 2.5 (~1.4). That is around 3.5, which is answer E. The thing is, that isn't the answer and I am confused why that wouldn't work.

I appreciate the assistance!
Attachments

Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 2.52.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 2.52.52 PM.png [ 31.34 KiB | Viewed 14979 times ]

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58430
Re: In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2015, 17:03
TheLostOne wrote:
I was looking at the advanced quant book for mgmat and I came across this problem. In my head I figured that it is an isosceles triangle, with the remaining angles as 75 degrees. Since the 30 degree angle matches up with a √2 (~1.4), and 75 degrees is 2.5x bigger than the 30 degrees, then the triangle side X must be 2.5 (~1.4). That is around 3.5, which is answer E. The thing is, that isn't the answer and I am confused why that wouldn't work.

I appreciate the assistance!


Merging topics. please refer to the discussion above.

Also, please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to rules 1, 2, 3, and 6. Thank you.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Posts: 198
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Re: In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 02:28
TheLostOne wrote:
I was looking at the advanced quant book for mgmat and I came across this problem. In my head I figured that it is an isosceles triangle, with the remaining angles as 75 degrees. Since the 30 degree angle matches up with a √2 (~1.4), and 75 degrees is 2.5x bigger than the 30 degrees, then the triangle side X must be 2.5 (~1.4). That is around 3.5, which is answer E. The thing is, that isn't the answer and I am confused why that wouldn't work.

I appreciate the assistance!



I tackled this problem in the same way...

this was my approach....

as it's an isosceles triangle =

30 + a + a = 180 ---------> a = 75

Now area of triangle is given by

1/2(x*x) sin30 and 1/2(x* sqrt2) sin75

as area will be same

(x*x) sin30 = (x*sqrt2) sin75

sin 30 = 0.5
sin 75 < 1 (close to 0.9)

on solving

x < 2 * sqrt2

option A and Option B left

Safe pick is Option B (as 2*sqrt2 = 2.8 and 1 + sqrt3 = 2.73)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2015
Posts: 6
GMAT ToolKit User
In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 18:14
Bunuel wrote:
essarr wrote:
In the diagram, what is the value of x?

A. \(1+sqrt(2)\)
B. \(1+sqrt(3)\)
C. \(2sqrt(2)\)
D. \(sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)\)
E. \(2sqrt(3)\)


I know we aren't supposed to solve this through any use of trigonometry rules, but I'm not sure how to go about solving this within 2 minutes. I've tried dropping perpendicular from one of the vertices at the base to form a 30-60-90 triangle within the triangle, but I think I'm getting stuck with the algebra now?


Rotate the diagram as shown below:
Attachment:
Ttriangle.png
Triangle BDC is a 30°-60°-90° right triangle. Now, in a right triangle where the angles are 30°, 60°, and 90° the sides are always in the ratio \(1 : \sqrt{3}: 2\), the leg opposite 30° (BD) corresponds with \(1\), thethe leg opposite 60° (DC) corresponds with \(\sqrt{3}\), and the hypotenuse \(BC=x\) corresponds with 2. So, since \(BC=x\) then \(BD=\frac{x}{2}\) and \(DC=\frac{x\sqrt{3}}{2}\).

Also notice that \(AD=AC-DC=x-\frac{x\sqrt{3}}{2}\).

Next, from Pythagoras theorem \(AB^2=BD^2+AD^2\) --> \(2=(\frac{x}{2})^2+(x-\frac{x\sqrt{3}}{2})^2\) --> \(2=x^2(\frac{1}{4}+1-2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{3}{4})\) --> \(2=x^2(2-\sqrt{3})\) --> \(x^2=\frac{2}{2-\sqrt{3}}\) --> rationalize: \(x^2=\frac{2*(2+\sqrt{3})}{(2-\sqrt{3})(2+\sqrt{3})}=4+2\sqrt{3}\) --> \(x^2=4+2\sqrt{3}=(\sqrt{3})^2+2\sqrt{3}+1=(\sqrt{3}+1)^2\) --> \(x=\sqrt{3}+1\).

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.
Being naive here... How do you define Triangle BDC as 30 60 90 ? isn't the entire angle B 60?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9701
Location: Pune, India
Re: In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 22:18
1
1
essarr wrote:
Attachment:
isofindx.jpg
In the diagram, what is the value of x?

A. \(1+sqrt(2)\)
B. \(1+sqrt(3)\)
C. \(2sqrt(2)\)
D. \(sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)\)
E. \(2sqrt(3)\)


I know we aren't supposed to solve this through any use of trigonometry rules, but I'm not sure how to go about solving this within 2 minutes. I've tried dropping perpendicular from one of the vertices at the base to form a 30-60-90 triangle within the triangle, but I think I'm getting stuck with the algebra now?



Here is how I approached this question:
Create a 30-60-90 triangle by dropping an altitude from one of the base angles. The sides are in the ratio \(1:\sqrt{3}:2\). Since side x corresponds to 2 in the ratio, the length of the altitude will be x/2.
Say the altitude from 30 degree angle to side \(\sqrt{2}\) is of length y.

Area of triangle = \((\frac{1}{2})*y*\sqrt{2} = (\frac{1}{2})*(\frac{x}{2})*x\)
\(y = \frac{x^2}{2\sqrt{2}}\)

Now use the pythagorean theorem:

\(y^2 + (\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})^2 = x^2\)

\(\frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{1}{2} = x^2\)

\(x^4 - 8x^2 + 4 = 0\)

Put \(x^2 = a\)

\(a^2 - 8a + 4 = 0\)

\(a = 4 + 2\sqrt{3}\)

\(x^2 = 3 + 1 + 2\sqrt{3} = \sqrt{3}^2 + 1 + 2\sqrt{3}\)

\(x = \sqrt{3} + 1\)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2015
Posts: 6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 08:58
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
essarr wrote:
Attachment:
isofindx.jpg
In the diagram, what is the value of x?

A. \(1+sqrt(2)\)
B. \(1+sqrt(3)\)
C. \(2sqrt(2)\)
D. \(sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)\)
E. \(2sqrt(3)\)


I know we aren't supposed to solve this through any use of trigonometry rules, but I'm not sure how to go about solving this within 2 minutes. I've tried dropping perpendicular from one of the vertices at the base to form a 30-60-90 triangle within the triangle, but I think I'm getting stuck with the algebra now?



Here is how I approached this question:
Create a 30-60-90 triangle by dropping an altitude from one of the base angles. The sides are in the ratio \(1:\sqrt{3}:2\). Since side x corresponds to 2 in the ratio, the length of the altitude will be x/2.
Say the altitude from 30 degree angle to side \(\sqrt{2}\) is of length y.

Area of triangle = \((\frac{1}{2})*y*\sqrt{2} = (\frac{1}{2})*(\frac{x}{2})*x\)
\(y = \frac{x^2}{2\sqrt{2}}\)

Now use the pythagorean theorem:

\(y^2 + (\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})^2 = x^2\)

\(\frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{1}{2} = x^2\)

\(x^4 - 8x^2 + 4 = 0\)

Put \(x^2 = a\)

\(a^2 - 8a + 4 = 0\)

\(a = 4 + 2\sqrt{3}\)

\(x^2 = 3 + 1 + 2\sqrt{3} = \sqrt{3}^2 + 1 + 2\sqrt{3}\)

\(x = \sqrt{3} + 1\)
Again sorry how do you substitute x= sq rt 2 when you initially define x corresponds to 2...coming back after a break..sorry I'm being rusty here!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2015
Posts: 6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 10:38
1
vinny87 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
essarr wrote:
Attachment:
isofindx.jpg
In the diagram, what is the value of x?

A. \(1+sqrt(2)\)
B. \(1+sqrt(3)\)
C. \(2sqrt(2)\)
D. \(sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)\)
E. \(2sqrt(3)\)


I know we aren't supposed to solve this through any use of trigonometry rules, but I'm not sure how to go about solving this within 2 minutes. I've tried dropping perpendicular from one of the vertices at the base to form a 30-60-90 triangle within the triangle, but I think I'm getting stuck with the algebra now?



Here is how I approached this question:
Create a 30-60-90 triangle by dropping an altitude from one of the base angles. The sides are in the ratio \(1:\sqrt{3}:2\). Since side x corresponds to 2 in the ratio, the length of the altitude will be x/2.
Say the altitude from 30 degree angle to side \(\sqrt{2}\) is of length y.

Area of triangle = \((\frac{1}{2})*y*\sqrt{2} = (\frac{1}{2})*(\frac{x}{2})*x\)
\(y = \frac{x^2}{2\sqrt{2}}\)

Now use the pythagorean theorem:

\(y^2 + (\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})^2 = x^2\)

\(\frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{1}{2} = x^2\)

\(x^4 - 8x^2 + 4 = 0\)

Put \(x^2 = a\)

\(a^2 - 8a + 4 = 0\)

\(a = 4 + 2\sqrt{3}\)

\(x^2 = 3 + 1 + 2\sqrt{3} = \sqrt{3}^2 + 1 + 2\sqrt{3}\)

\(x = \sqrt{3} + 1\)
Again sorry how do you substitute x= sq rt 2 when you initially define x corresponds to 2...coming back after a break..sorry I'm being rusty here!

Never mind...got it :-D
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 05 Dec 2016
Posts: 236
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 06:51
The hardest thing here is to rationalize like did Bunuel :)
I picked B just doing approx calculation...after I got 4+2(3)^1/2...
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1263
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 09:21
Hi
A small formula might save u a lot of precious time in the real GMAT.
For a triangle with sides a,b and c and angles A, B and C the cosine rule can be written as: a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc cos A.
According to this
We get \((\sqrt{2})^2\) = \(x^2 +x^2 - 2X^2* Cos 30\)
\(2 = 2x^2-2x^2*(\sqrt{3}/2)\)
hence \(x^2 = 2/(2-\sqrt{3})\)
rationalizing we get \(x^2 = 4+2\sqrt{3}\)
or x = \(1+\sqrt{3}\)
Attachments

sine-and-cosine-rule-19-638.jpg
sine-and-cosine-rule-19-638.jpg [ 35.4 KiB | Viewed 4635 times ]


_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Status: Gathering chakra
Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 435
Premium Member
Re: In the diagram, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 09:02
The MGMAT book also talks about estimating in a problem like this. Assume the diagram is drawn with the altitude added as above to make a 30:60:90 triangle:

√2 ≈ 1.4 (a bit more than) Now, obviously the perpendicular line is a bit less than this. However, if we assume that its length is also 1.4 then we can use the 30:60:90 triangle ratios right away and eliminate some answers.

If 1.4 = s (angle with 30) then x = 2s, or 2.8 So we know our maximum possible value is a bit less than this. Right away we can eliminate C, D and E.

C) 2*1.4 = 2.8
D) 1.4 + 1.7 = 3.1
E) 2*1.7 = 3.4

We're left with A and B.
A) 1+1.4 = 2.4
B) 1+1.7 = 2.7

Here I would just guess and move on, we assumed the line is just a bit less than 1.4 so B) is closest. You can also note that the answers vary by .3 except for B and C which can potentially be a hint (or not...)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the diagram, what is the value of x?   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2019, 09:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the diagram, what is the value of x?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne