Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2829 [38]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [7]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618800 [6]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 400 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: In the XY co-ordinate plane, circle C has center at (8,0) and tangent [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel - the graph in post above is for a circle at centre (0,8) and not (8,0) as asked in the question

one can use coordinate geometry formula to solve this as well.

Since the line y=x is tangent to the circle with centre (8,0) the length of the perpendicular dropped from point (8,0) to this line would be equal to radius.

Now, length of perpendicular dropped from point (X,Y) to any line ax+by+c=0 is given by the formula Mod ((aX+bY+c)/(a^2+b^2)^0.5))

So, length of perpendicular from point (8,0) is 8/(2)^0.5

and Diameter = 2*radius = 16/(2)^0.5 = 8*(2)^0.5. Answer C
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618800 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the XY co-ordinate plane, circle C has center at (8,0) and tangent [#permalink]
Expert Reply
beyondgmatscore wrote:
Bunuel - the graph in post above is for a circle at centre (0,8) and not (8,0) as asked in the question

Yes, actually it is. Though as the diagram is symmetric to y=x it doesn't matter at all: for any point (8,0), (0,8), (-8,0), (0,-8) the answer would be the same.

Also I wouldn't recommend approach you used as it involves memorizing the formula you don't really need for the GMAT. As you can see one can solve this problem in pretty straightforward way without this formula.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 400 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Yes - symmetry makes it immaterial in this particular case.

I agree with you about not needing to remember this formula, but if one knows this concept, quite a few questions of similar nature can be done faster - so this might be useful for some people.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618800 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
beyondgmatscore wrote:
Yes - symmetry makes it immaterial in this particular case.

I agree with you about not needing to remember this formula, but if one knows this concept, quite a few questions of similar nature can be done faster - so this might be useful for some people.

OK then here it is:

DISTANCE BETWEEN THE LINE AND POINT:
Line: \(ay+bx+c=0\), point \((x_1,y_1)\)

\(d=\frac{|ay_1+bx_1+c|}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\)

DISTANCE BETWEEN THE LINE AND ORIGIN:
As origin is \((0,0)\) -->

\(d=\frac{|c|}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\)

Please note again that it's highly unlikely that you'll need this on the GMAT.

Problems:
distance-to-line-point-on-coordinate-plane-please-help-102776.html
gmatclub-hardest-questions-co-geometry-q1-92566.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Hi bunuel please explain the solution in more steps, it is unclear to me. From where does square root 2 came? please help me to understand this.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618800 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SandhyAvinash wrote:
Hi bunuel please explain the solution in more steps, it is unclear to me. From where does square root 2 came? please help me to understand this.

Triangle formed is a 45-45-90 right triangle.

• A right triangle where the angles are 45°, 45°, and 90°.

This is one of the 'standard' triangles you should be able recognize on sight. A fact you should also commit to memory is: The sides are always in the ratio \(1 : 1 : \sqrt{2}\). With the \(\sqrt{2}\) being the hypotenuse (longest side). This can be derived from Pythagoras' Theorem. Because the base angles are the same (both 45°) the two legs are equal and so the triangle is also isosceles.

For more on this issues check Triangles chapter of Math Book.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts