GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In trying to reduce the amount of fat in their diet, on average people

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Status: PhD-trained. Education, Research, Teaching, Training, Consulting and Advisory Services
CAT Tests
In trying to reduce the amount of fat in their diet, on average people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 11:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (01:35) correct 29% (01:47) wrong based on 78 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In trying to reduce the amount of fat in their diet, on average people have decreased their consumption of red meat by one-half in the last two decades. However, on average those who have reduced their consumption of red meat actually consume substantially more fat than those who have not.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to resolve the apparent discrepancy described above?

(A) Many more people have reduced their consumption of red meat over the last two decades than have not.

(B) Higher prices over the last two decades have done as much to decrease the consumption of red meat as health concerns have.

(C) People who reduce their consumption of red meat tend to consume as much of other foods that are high in fat as do those who have not reduced their consumption of red meat.

(D) People who reduce their consumption of red meat tend to replace it with cheese and baked goods, which are richer in fat than red meat.

(E) Studies have shown that red meat contains slightly less fat than previously thought.
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In trying to reduce the amount of fat in their diet, on average people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 00:33
Here is what I think - We need to find a statement which states that the people who are consuming less red meat and replacing it by some other 'Fatty' food. Only 2 statements which show this relation are Options 'C' and 'D' and the more I read them, the more I got confused :lol:. I chose option 'C'. Tough call :)

(A) Many more people have reduced their consumption of red meat over the last two decades than have not. :thumbdown: Easy out 1

(B) Higher prices over the last two decades have done as much to decrease the consumption of red meat as health concerns have. :thumbdown: Easy out 2

(C) People who reduce their consumption of red meat tend to consume as much of other foods that are high in fat as do those who have not reduced their consumption of red meat. :cool: The statement shows that they tend to consume other fat foods in the same intake quantity like the intake quantity of people who are not reducing red meat. I chose this option to get in line with 'Substantial' and 'Other Food' which can include the most fatty food

(D) People who reduce their consumption of red meat tend to replace it with cheese and baked goods, which are richer in fat than red meat. :roll: Tough call. The statement shows that they replaced it with cheese and baked goods, which are richer in fat but unable to clarify the consumption

(E) Studies have shown that red meat contains slightly less fat than previously thought. :thumbdown: Easy out 3

I might be wrong. I would appreciate the clarification.
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Intern
Intern
B
Re: In trying to reduce the amount of fat in their diet, on average people  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 10:46
D is correct.

To add to sjas31's point, it comes down to C and D and now it's all about the hidden details. C and D are talking about the same critical question here - eat other food with lots of fat is replaced with the portion of red meat reduced in these people's diet. The point breaker here is "actually consume substantially more fat than those who have not".

If you look at C " People who reduce their consumption of red meat tend to consume as much of other foods that are high in fat as do those who have not reduced their consumption of red meat." "As much" here indicates these people should have the same level of fat consumption as those who do not reduce red meat consumption. But the stimulus said they have a higher level - they must have eaten something with more fat, like cheese and baked food.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 22:50
I will go with D.

(A) Many more people have reduced their consumption of red meat over the last two decades than have not. -- We don't care about this

(B) Higher prices over the last two decades have done as much to decrease the consumption of red meat as health concerns have. --We cant question the premise that they reduced having red meat to improve health

(C) People who reduce their consumption of red meat tend to consume as much of other foods that are high in fat as do those who have not reduced their consumption of red meat. -- This rather negates an underlying possible resolution to the paradox..

(D) People who reduce their consumption of red meat tend to replace it with cheese and baked goods, which are richer in fat than red meat. -- Helps to give a possible resolution to paradox

(E) Studies have shown that red meat contains slightly less fat than previously thought. --None of our business.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In trying to reduce the amount of fat in their diet, on average people   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2019, 22:50

In trying to reduce the amount of fat in their diet, on average people

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics