It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In what sceario do you retake? (numbers inside)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 12

Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
In what sceario do you retake? (numbers inside) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 17:50
I scored a 700 (43q/41v) on my GMAT today. In my practice tests, my highest q was a 45, so I think I'm sort of at the ceiling in that area (of course this could probably change if I were willing to keep spending money buying new materials). I have B's in my 3 quant courses from H/Y/P/S undergrad, I have some exposure to quantitative work via my job but I'm not in a heavy quant field nor is it my intention to go into a quant field. At the risk of having a lower verbal score (41 was actually my best on my practice test), should I retake or just focus on addressing this "issue" in my essays and possibly take another quant course from a CC? (oh yea, I'm a female :lol: )

PT 1: MGMAT 670 (45q/36v)
PT 2: GMATprep 650 (37q/41v)
PT 3: MGMAT 680 (42q/40v)
PT 4: GMATprep 610 (33q/33v) :?: (took this late at night after the gym and long day at work)
PT 5: MGMAT 620 (38q/36v) :?: (same situation as above)

As you can see from my practice test, I pretty much got my max score from separate practice tests as my real score. I studies on my own and this was my first take.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
http://gmatclub.com/forum/700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: In what sceario do you retake? (numbers inside) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 18:27
with a 700 on record, I'd just start hitting essays. You've hit the "hurdle" so your score won't be an issue. You also said you're female, so that will play into your favor. Great score. My advice is take the 700 and move on with your application process.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Wharton, LBS, Kellogg

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 22:13
My advice is go with the 700. But much would depend on what kind of workex you have and which schoold you are targeting..

AD

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 86

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2009, 00:34
I'm surprised to see that Q43 V41 yielded a 700. I don't think it's too difficult to go from Q43 to 46/47, but you're not likely to see a very sizable increase in your overall GMAT score.

The decision to retake is really dependent upon which schools you plan to apply to and whether you believe you can increase your score substantially.

The 700 won't keep you out of anywhere, but some of the quant-heavy schools might be concerned with your Q43.

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 86

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 14

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2009, 05:20
Based on your practice test scores, I would like to give you an advice - don't retake. You are on the upper side of your practice scores and you are unlikely to see any progress without couple of months studying. With 3-4 months of study you could push your score towards 730, but those 3 or 4 months could have easily be invested in much better way - essays, recommendations and other aspects of your application.

Please, take this advice seriously since it comes from someone who retook after 720 - pretty unreasonable move. Although I have never regretted for retake, I know I could have spent my time more wisely than studying for GMAT again.

In addition, I don't think that someone who scored Bs in quant courses in H/Y/P/S and scored 700 in GMAT should address anything regarding his/her quant abilities in optional essays.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 14

Current Student

Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2009, 08:12
thanks for the input. i think i will move on to the other parts of my app as well as take another quant course just to solidify any doubt.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
http://gmatclub.com/forum/700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Re: In what sceario do you retake? (numbers inside)   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2009, 08:12

In what sceario do you retake? (numbers inside)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap