Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2410 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Incomplete Essay on the Exam! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
What do you mean by incomplete? How would you tell a complete essay from an incomplete one?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DD, thanks for responding to the post! To give an example of a "incomplete" essay - suppose in case of a argument essay, following the template, one types the introductory paragraph, and then the subsequent paragraphs explaining the reasoning or citing examples, but fails to conclude the essay with a last paragraph - which is supposed to include the summary of the reasons cited and points that could strengthen the argument. In such a case, would the e-rater give the candidate a very low score (say something below 3) or is there a scope to score in the range of 4-4.5?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
 Q51  V37
Send PM
abhi758 wrote:
DD, thanks for responding to the post! To give an example of a "incomplete" essay - suppose in case of a argument essay, following the template, one types the introductory paragraph, and then the subsequent paragraphs explaining the reasoning or citing examples, but fails to conclude the essay with a last paragraph - which is supposed to include the summary of the reasons cited and points that could strengthen the argument. In such a case, would the e-rater give the candidate a very low score (say something below 3) or is there a scope to score in the range of 4-4.5?

Thanks again!

First things first, e-rater (or the manual evaluator) will score the essay on its current content. So, if you failed to write the concluding paragraph, then ofcourse both e-rater and evaluator will evaluate the essay considering there is no concluding paragraph. Hence, your overall score will be less.

One advice that i used on my actual exam was to write the Introductory and Concluding para first, and then start with body paras. If you think you do not have sufficient time, you can always reduce the content of body paras or the number of body paras.

hope you find it useful.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhi758 wrote:

Thanks again!

It is hard to tell, so let's wait and see.
Based on some reports, e-rater rates longer essays higher (officlal-gmat-awa-tool-gmat-write-practicing-awa-77678.html#p762269)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks DD! the insight in the link that you posted was really helpful. Looks like no other choice but to write more words..:)

Thanks maanavrelan4gmat, I'll keep your suggestion in mind.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Just wanted to see if any one had further insight on this? I took the gmat today...(felt extremely unprepared and never actually wrote a complete essay - just wrote some bullets on GMAT practice exam 1). On the actual exam, I did not have time to finish the section, (much less check over any of what I wrote), and the screen skipped before I could delete 2-3 blank lines in my introduction...To be honest, I am not even sure if the intro was even in complete sentences/coherent to begin with.

Will this automatically result in a 0 or 1? And how would a top school look at my app? I would be happy with a 4 on AWA. Unfortunately, I already decided to send my score because I was pleased with it and wanted to take advantage of the 5 free reports but forgot to think about what a bad AWA score could do to my application. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts