It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Indian Non Engineer Male Candidate - Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Indian Non Engineer Male Candidate - Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 05:18
Hi,

My aim is to apply for a 2 year MBA at Top 10 US Business Schools (specifically HSW, Kellogg, Tuck, Yale/Haas and Columbia) and INSEAD for the batch of 2021 (I intend to apply in 2018). Would be great to get your feedback.

Ethnicity: Indian

Current Age: 24

Undergrad: Studied Business at a Tier 1 Indian Business College (Part of Delhi University) - Not as popular as IIT, St. Stephens, SRCC but has a recent record of admits to Wharton, Kellogg, Booth, INSEAD and lower ranked schools
GPA: 3.85 according to WES, ~78% on a percentage scale

GMAT score: Yet to take. Target score 760 (Scored 710 and 720 in diagnostic, after preparing for a month)

Work ex: ~3.5 years (~4 at the time of applying) of which:

- Worked for ~3 years at Bain & Company's Bain Capability Centre (hires from top undergrad colleges in India) where I did consulting like work in the Private Equity Group, Consumer Products & Retail and also help setup the Zero Based Budgeting Practice for Bain globally (was part of Bain's first ZBB engagement). At the time of leaving, I was managing 2-3 analysts on a case.
- Post Bain, I worked at LinkedIn as a contract Sales Strategy and Operations Associate (internal consulting for the sales team) for 3 months - could have continued, but didn't want to stay on contract and also wanted to change industries to non profit.
- Now I have moved to East Africa and am a part of the internal consulting team of this reputed East Africa based Non profit that works for farmers (founded by a Kellogg Alum). I am helping the organization scope new products in order for them to expand their portfolio. This move was driven by my longing to do meaningful work while I still can, and also to identify if I'd want to pursue my masters in public policy/administration instead of business

Extracurriculars:

- Was part of the college chapter of Enactus (an international non profit that helps develop businesses for the underprivileged. Addressed the problems of sanitation in slums of Delhi and the issue of paper wastage, while creating employment opportunities for 50+ underprivileged individuals. Led marketing and fundraising for these ventures. Our college Enactus chapter is one of the most active in the country and won the national championship twice during my association
- Nothing spectacular post college. Was leading training initiatives for new analyst hires at Bain. Developed content, organized onboarding and through the year training sessions. Also participated in community giving initiatives at Bain consistently

International Experience:

- Worked with International clients (not onsite) spread all across the world, through my time at Bain. Also went for global trainings.
- At LinkedIn, I was part of a multi-cultural team spread across APAC
- Currently divide time between Kigali and Nairobi. Part of a diverse team that includes a lot of Americans, some Europeans and East Africans.

Post MBA goals: Slightly fluid right now. Confused between:

- going back to MBB consulting (this time client facing instead of remote) with the end goal of moving to a development consulting firm/non profit in a leadership role (non-profits and dev. consulting firms don't hire internationals directly out of b-schools, plus I will have debt burden so won't be able to opt for an average paying job)
- product marketing at internet companies (think Google, Facebook and LinkedIn)
- sales strategy/business strategy at internet companies (sort of like internal consulting teams at tech. firms)

I know there is still about a year to go, but I want to get some early feedback so that I can fill any gaps that will prevent me from getting an admit to target schools. Also would be great to know what you think of my profile as of now, as I believe I will struggle to get time to improve it drastically over the next one year (driven by a new and hectic job in a new industry and geography)

Thanks,
Divik

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Indian Non Engineer Male Candidate - Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 20:52
Hi Divik!

Overall I think your profile is really strong (pending GMAT of course). See below for some more detailed feedback.

Good luck!
Kate

divikgirdhar wrote:
Hi,

My aim is to apply for a 2 year MBA at Top 10 US Business Schools (specifically HSW, Kellogg, Tuck, Yale/Haas and Columbia) and INSEAD for the batch of 2021 (I intend to apply in 2018). Would be great to get your feedback. I think you've got a strong enough profile to be targeting top schools, though HSW could still be a stretch for you. Also, INSEAD is a 1 year MBA program so wanted to make sure you were aware of that difference.

Ethnicity: Indian

Current Age: 24

Undergrad: Studied Business at a Tier 1 Indian Business College (Part of Delhi University) - Not as popular as IIT, St. Stephens, SRCC but has a recent record of admits to Wharton, Kellogg, Booth, INSEAD and lower ranked schools
GPA: 3.85 according to WES, ~78% on a percentage scale This sounds good -- not IIT but sounds strong and I like that you studied business too.

GMAT score: Yet to take. Target score 760 (Scored 710 and 720 in diagnostic, after preparing for a month) This is a good starting point - good luck!

Work ex: ~3.5 years (~4 at the time of applying) of which:

- Worked for ~3 years at Bain & Company's Bain Capability Centre (hires from top undergrad colleges in India) where I did consulting like work in the Private Equity Group, Consumer Products & Retail and also help setup the Zero Based Budgeting Practice for Bain globally (was part of Bain's first ZBB engagement). At the time of leaving, I was managing 2-3 analysts on a case. Top firm of course so that will look good. Sounds like you can show strong leadership in the practice and mentoring/managing others. I am curious about the "consulting like work" term you use and whether that may not look as strong. Otherwise sounds great.
- Post Bain, I worked at LinkedIn as a contract Sales Strategy and Operations Associate (internal consulting for the sales team) for 3 months - could have continued, but didn't want to stay on contract and also wanted to change industries to non profit. Interesting...you'll need to have a well crafted explanation for why you left Bain for this role and why it didn't work out.
- Now I have moved to East Africa and am a part of the internal consulting team of this reputed East Africa based Non profit that works for farmers (founded by a Kellogg Alum). I am helping the organization scope new products in order for them to expand their portfolio. This move was driven by my longing to do meaningful work while I still can, and also to identify if I'd want to pursue my masters in public policy/administration instead of business. Great! This is quite different from other applicants and I think this work will help set you apart, not just because of the nature of the work, but also because of the exposure to business in Africa. Sidenote, I would not say that you took the job to decide on MPP vs. MBA, as that could make you sound less convincing in your reasons, but I understand why you mentioned that here :)

Extracurriculars:

- Was part of the college chapter of Enactus (an international non profit that helps develop businesses for the underprivileged. Addressed the problems of sanitation in slums of Delhi and the issue of paper wastage, while creating employment opportunities for 50+ underprivileged individuals. Led marketing and fundraising for these ventures. Our college Enactus chapter is one of the most active in the country and won the national championship twice during my association
- Nothing spectacular post college. Was leading training initiatives for new analyst hires at Bain. Developed content, organized onboarding and through the year training sessions. Also participated in community giving initiatives at Bain consistently
This is pretty strong, but if you're able to add / re-engage with an activity, I recommend doing so.

International Experience: All sounds great -- definitely highlight this international experience!

- Worked with International clients (not onsite) spread all across the world, through my time at Bain. Also went for global trainings.
- At LinkedIn, I was part of a multi-cultural team spread across APAC
- Currently divide time between Kigali and Nairobi. Part of a diverse team that includes a lot of Americans, some Europeans and East Africans.

Post MBA goals: Slightly fluid right now. Confused between: Good news is that you have plenty of time to figure out your goals...but they do need to be mores specific. I also wonder about how it will look as someone who has already made two career shifts, to make another one. Is continuing to work in non profit an option? If not then I think the MBB with a non profit focus goal makes most sense to me. But again, you've got time to nail down this goal story. Check out our personal statement guide as you work on this: https://shop.mbamission.com/products/pe ... ment-guide

- going back to MBB consulting (this time client facing instead of remote) with the end goal of moving to a development consulting firm/non profit in a leadership role (non-profits and dev. consulting firms don't hire internationals directly out of b-schools, plus I will have debt burden so won't be able to opt for an average paying job)
- product marketing at internet companies (think Google, Facebook and LinkedIn)
- sales strategy/business strategy at internet companies (sort of like internal consulting teams at tech. firms)

I know there is still about a year to go, but I want to get some early feedback so that I can fill any gaps that will prevent me from getting an admit to target schools. Also would be great to know what you think of my profile as of now, as I believe I will struggle to get time to improve it drastically over the next one year (driven by a new and hectic job in a new industry and geography) I think overall your profile is really strong! Your main priority should be GMAT. After that, I think you could add an extracurricular activity (though it sounds like you don't have much time, and given the non-profit nature of your job, I think this is less important for you). And I would dedicate some time to researching/refining your career goals, and networking/engaging with your target schools.

Thanks, You're welcome, and best of luck!
Divik

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Indian Non Engineer Male Candidate - Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap