Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:00 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33041 [1]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [3]
Given Kudos: 175
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Initially there was confusion among the first English colonists about [#permalink]
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. explain Sir Walter Raleigh's historical role in the English colonization of North America
That is only a small part

B. contrast the structure of joint-stock companies with that of modern corporations
No mention of mnodern organisations

C. portray the hardships experienced by many of the early English colonizers of North America
Only one problem is mentioned which is they didnt know the purpose of colony

D. argue that privateering was detrimental to England's political self-interest during the period of North American colonization
That was the conclusion but that was not something being argued for

E. describe the historical context in which joint-stock companies developed during the English colonial enterprise in North America
Last two paras are about JSC and first para is a base for how it came into being

Ans E

Question 2

2. According to the passage, which of the following was true of English "colonial promoters" (Highlighted) during the period discussed?

A. They were all unified in support of the objectives of the colonies.
We do not know

B. They were all glamorous and individualistic people.
We do not know

C. They all supported piracy against the Spanish.
We do not know

D. They all contributed significant personal wealth to their ventures.
We do not know

E. They all undertook their ventures primarily to make money.
Yes mentioned in second para

Ans E

Question 3

3. According to the passage, investors in joint-stock companies such as the Virginia Company of London were motivated by which of the following factors?

I. Patriotism-- National prestige was a strong motive for the investors, but they also expected to reap a steady income from their shares.
II. Hope for individual glory-- Not mentioned
III. Desire for economic gain-- National prestige was a strong motive for the investors, but they also expected to reap a steady income from their shares.

A. I only
B. III only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Ans C

Question 4

4. According to the passage one reason members of the nobility gained influence in joint-stock companies was that middle-class merchants

A. wanted military protection from Spanish pirates
No mention

B. lacked access to the king and his court
True because we know aristocrats alone had this access

C. lacked expertise in large-scale economic ventures
No mention

D. had an undue regard for purely formal social status
No mention

E. had borrowed considerable amounts of money from them for previous ventures
No mention

Ans B

Question 5

5. The passage states that the earliest English colonists in North America generally expected to

A. return to England after their stay in the colonies
Mentioned in the first para

B. become members of an aristocracy in North America
Not true

C. receive strong economic support from the English government
Not true

D. establish plantations for trade with England
This was uncertain

E. create self-supporting communities independent of England
Not true

Ans A

Question 6

6. The passage implies which of the following about joint-stock companies?

A. They were made possible for the first time by the colonization of North America.
We do not know whether any were created before

B. They were ineffectual because the investors did not share the same motives.
We do not know the outcome of JSCs

C. They were merely formal organizations lacking both money and power.
Opposite

D. They were necessary to the prosperity of the English colonial enterprise in North America.
True they were set up to raise funds for colonisation

E. They were created to limit the wealth of capi¬talist merchants.
This is not true

Ans D

Question 7

7. It can be inferred from the passage that joint-stock companies were not entirely modern because

A. they were not primarily involved in the manu¬facture of goods
Not true

B. they were restricted by the power of the king and the nobility
True as stated in the passage

C. most of them had monopolistic control of a market or a profit
Not true

D. few of them realized the profits their investors expected
Thats not the reason why

E. some of them were composed almost entirely of middle-class merchants
Not mentioned

Ans B

Question 8

8. The author implies that which of the following contributed to the failure of Sir Walter Raleigh's Roanoke colonies?

I. His policy of piracy against the Spanish treasure ships-- Yes this is what the last leader said. "diversions of privateering helped to kill the colony."
II. His lack of strong financial backing-- True "It soon became clear to the English that colonization required such massive initial investment that a small Troup led by an individual did not have sufficient resources"
III. His lack of knowledge about the environment in North America-- Not mentioned

A. I only
B. III only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

Ans C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
Send PM
Re: Initially there was confusion among the first English colonists about [#permalink]
EECBAACC

A. explain Sir Walter Raleigh's historical role in the English colonization of North America -->This isn't the primary purpose.
B. contrast the structure of joint-stock companies with that of modern corporations -->There is no contrast provided in the passage.
C. portray the hardships experienced by many of the early English colonizers of North America -->Hardships are mentioned but not as the primary goal.
D. argue that privateering was detrimental to England's political self-interest during the period of North American colonization -->It was never argued in the passage.
E. describe the historical context in which joint-stock companies developed during the English colonial enterprise in North America -->Yes, that's the purpose.

2. According to the passage, which of the following was true of English "colonial promoters" (Highlighted) during the period discussed?

A. They were all unified in support of the objec¬tives of the colonies. -->They were not united in this.
B. They were all glamorous and individualistic people. -->Indiviualistic, yes but there is no mention of glamour.
C. They all supported piracy against the Spanish. -->This is not mentioned in the passage.
D. They all contributed significant personal wealth to their ventures. -->Again, not mentioned in the passage.
E. They all undertook their ventures primarily to make money. -->Yes, this is mentioned.

3. According to the passage, investors in joint-stock companies such as the Virginia Company of London were motivated by which of the following factors?

I. Patriotism
II. Hope for individual glory
III. Desire for economic gain

A. I only -->Not the only reason.
B. III only -->This was not the only reason.
C. I and III only -->Yes, these two were the main reason.
D. II and III only -->II wasn't the reason.
E. I, II, and III -->II wasn't the reason.

4. According to the passage one reason members of the nobility gained influence in joint-stock companies was that middle-class merchants

A. wanted military protection from Spanish pirates -->No, not mentioned.
B. lacked access to the king and his court -->Yes, that's the reason.
C. lacked expertise in large-scale economic ventures -->Not mentioned in the passage.
D. had an undue regard for purely formal social status -->Out of scope.
E. had borrowed considerable amounts of money from them for previous ventures -->No mention of this.

5. The passage states that the earliest English colonists in North America generally expected to

A. return to England after their stay in the colonies -->Yes, this is mentioned in the start.
B. become members of an aristocracy in North America -->Not mentioned anywhere.
C. receive strong economic support from the English government -->It was actually the opposite.
D. establish plantations for trade with England -->No, this wasn't the reason.
E. create self-supporting communities independent of England -->No mentioned in the passage.

A. They were made possible for the first time by the colonization of North America. -->I eliminated the other 4 options to select this.
B. They were ineffectual because the investors did not share the same motives. -->Not mentioned anywhere.
C. They were merely formal organizations lacking both money and power. -->Out of scope.
D. They were necessary to the prosperity of the English colonial enterprise in North America. -->again, not mentioned.
E. They were created to limit the wealth of capi¬talist merchants. -->This wasn't the goal.

7. It can be inferred from the passage that joint-stock companies were not entirely modern because

A. they were not primarily involved in the manu¬facture of goods -->Out of scope.
B. they were restricted by the power of the king and the nobility -->There was restriction but not in this manner.
C. most of them had monopolistic control of a market or a profit -->Yes, that's the reason.
D. few of them realized the profits their investors expected -->That's not the reason.
E. some of them were composed almost entirely of middle-class merchants -->Not mentioned in the passage.

8. The author implies that which of the following contributed to the failure of Sir Walter Raleigh's Roanoke colonies?

I. His policy of piracy against the Spanish treasure ships
II. His lack of strong financial backing
III. His lack of knowledge about the environment in North America

A. I only -->Yes but not the only reason.
B. III only -->Not mentioned in the passage.
C. I and II only -->Yes, that's it.
D. I and III only -->III isn't mentioned in the passage.
E. I, II, and III -->III isn't mentioned in the passage anywhere.

EECBAACC
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [1]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Kudos

P1: Initial English Colonists were confused about the objective of Colonies in North America.
P2: Loss of Sir Walter Raleigh's colonies due to privateering. Realization that the colonization will require significant funding support .
P3: Inception of the first Joint Stock Companies- It's funding members: Colonial Merchants, Major Control:Aristocrats
P4: King favors the decision by aristocrats and this leads to resentment among Capital Merchants

A. explain Sir Walter Raleigh's historical role in the English colonization of North America ~ Sir Walter Raleigh role is discussed to only highlight why his personal ambition resulted in loss of the Roanoke colonies.

B. contrast the structure of joint-stock companies with that of modern corporations ~ The structure of the modern corporation is not mentioned in the passage.

C. portray the hardships experienced by many of the early English colonizers of North America ~ No hardships as such is mentioned in the passage.

D. argue that privateering was detrimental to England's political self-interest during the period of North American colonization ~ Although it is true that England lost the colonies earlier due to privateering. But the main reason is the lack of significant fund and resources.

E. describe the historical context in which joint-stock companies developed during the English colonial enterprise in North America ~ Correct, author mentions that initial loss of Roanoke colonies made British realize that Colonization will require significant funding which can be provided by Joint Stock Companies. Later how these companies are formed, their members, funding, and mode of operation are discussed.

A. They were all unified in support of the objectives of the colonies. ~ Their objective initially was not clear, refer to the line "Initially there was confusion among the first English colonists about the purpose and character of their colonies in North America"

B. They were all glamorous and individualistic people. ~ It is characteristics of some (Raleigh and Sir Humphrey Gilbert), We cannot infer that all have such characteristics.

C. They all supported piracy against the Spanish. ~ This view is not supported by John white "John White, the leader of Raleigh's last colony at Roanoke, believed that the diversions of privateering helped to kill the colony."

D. They all contributed significant personal wealth to their ventures. ~ Their contribution of wealth to the ventures is not mentioned.

E. They all undertook their ventures primarily to make money. ~ Correct, refer to the line "His primary goal, like that of all colonial promoters, was to make money,"

I. Patriotism ~ Correct refer to the line "National prestige was a strong motive for the investors, but they also expected to reap a steady income from their shares.
II. Hope for individual glory ~ This is the objective of the colonist
III. Desire for economic gain ~ Correct refer to the line "National prestige was a strong motive for the investors, but they also expected to reap a steady income from their shares.

A. I only
B. III only

C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

A. wanted military protection from Spanish pirates ~ Not mentioned.

B. lacked access to the king and his court ~ Correct, refer to the line "Unlike the capitalist merchants, who provided most of the money, the aristocrats were selected because they would lend prestige to the venture and because they alone had access to those members of the king's court who actually issued patents on territory and controlled colonial policies."

C. lacked expertise in large-scale economic ventures ~ Not mentioned.

D. had an undue regard for purely formal social status ~ Not mentioned.

E. had borrowed considerable amounts of money from them for previous ventures ~ Not mentioned.

A. return to England after their stay in the colonies ~ Correct, refer to the line "Most who embarked for the colonic expected to return to England."

B. become members of an aristocracy in North America ~ Not mentioned.

C. receive strong economic support from the English government ~ Initially, the colonist did not get any strong economic support.

D. establish plantations for trade with England ~ Not mentioned.

E. create self-supporting communities independent of England ~ Not mentioned.

A. They were made possible for the first time by the colonization of North America. ~ Yes, but they are made after the england lost the initial Roanoke colonial control due to privateering.

B. They were ineffectual because the investors did not share the same motives. ~ Investor share two motives which are national prestige and return on their investments. They are not divided on the motives.

C. They were merely formal organizations lacking both money and power. ~ They are backed by the money from the capital merchants and given power by the king.

D. They were necessary to the prosperity of the English colonial enterprise in North America. ~ Correct, refer to the line "It soon became clear to the English that colonization required such massive initial investment that a small Troup led by an individual did not have sufficient resources, especially when the colonies required infusions of funds over several years." Joint stock companies are formed to mobilize funds requirement for several years, for the colonization.

E. They were created to limit the wealth of capitalist merchants. ~Although, Capitalist merchant are not able to generate wealth from these companies,this is not the reason for which the joint-stock companies are set up.

Refer to the line "Unlike the capitalist merchants, who provided most of the money, the aristocrats were selected because they would lend prestige to the venture and because they alone had access to those members of the king's court who actually issued patents on territory and controlled colonial policies."

A. they were not primarily involved in the manufacture of goods ~ This cannot be inferred refer to the line "The king's court controlled the economy because the king used monopolies of the manufacture or importation of vital products to reward those he favored."

B. they were restricted by the power of the king and the nobility ~ Correct, It is due to this those capitalist merchant who provided most of the money cannot take decisions and ultimately not able to generate wealth from their investments.

C. most of them had monopolistic control of a market or a profit ~ It cannot be determined that they have a monopolistic control of a market.

D. few of them realized the profits their investors expected ~ This is already mentioned in the passage Refer to the line "In the early years, however, few prospered. "

E. some of them were composed almost entirely of middle-class merchants ~ Those companies consists of aristocrats, only funding was done by merchants.

I. His policy of piracy against the Spanish treasure ships ~ Correct, Refer to the line "Indeed, John White, the leader of Raleigh's last colony at Roanoke, believed that the diversions of privateering helped to kill the colony.".

II. His lack of strong financial backing ~ Correct, Refer to the line "Troup led by an individual did not have sufficient resources, especially when the colonies required infusions of funds over several years."

III. His lack of knowledge about the environment in North America ~ Not mentioned.
A. I only
B. III only

C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 801 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM

A. explain Sir Walter Raleigh's historical role in the English colonization of North America
B. contrast the structure of joint-stock companies with that of modern corporations
C. portray the hardships experienced by many of the early English colonizers of North America
D. argue that privateering was detrimental to England's political self-interest during the period of North American colonization
E. describe the historical context in which joint-stock companies developed during the English colonial enterprise in North America
the author sets the background, and thereafter develops the argument wherein it is shown that the joint stock-companies served the purpose for the English colonial enterprise in North America

A. They were all unified in support of the objectives of the colonies.
B. They were all glamorous and individualistic people.
C. They all supported piracy against the Spanish.
D. They all contributed significant personal wealth to their ventures.
E. They all undertook their ventures primarily to make money.
highlighted in the lines of the 2nd paragraph -- '...primary goal, like that of all colonial promoters, was to make money,..' -- while discussing the Sir Walter Raleigh's enterprise, which has been shown as representative of early English colonization in North America.

I. Patriotism --> highlighted in the line '...to make money, but he was also in search of glory for himself and for England....'
II. Hope for individual glory --> highlighted in the passage (in the same line)
III. Desire for economic gain --> highlighted in the line '...to make money, but he was also in search of glory for himself and for England....'

A. I only
B. III only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

A. wanted military protection from Spanish pirates
B. lacked access to the king and his court
reference from the passage -- '...the aristocrats were selected because they would lend prestige to the venture and because they alone had access to those members of the king's court who actually issued patents on territory and controlled colonial policies.'
C. lacked expertise in large-scale economic ventures
D. had an undue regard for purely formal social status
E. had borrowed considerable amounts of money from them for previous ventures

A. return to England after their stay in the colonies
Can be inferred using the reference line in the 1st paragraph --'...Most who embarked for the colonic expected to return to England...'
B. become members of an aristocracy in North America
C. receive strong economic support from the English government
D. establish plantations for trade with England
E. create self-supporting communities independent of England

A. They were made possible for the first time by the colonization of North America.
B. They were ineffectual because the investors did not share the same motives.
C. They were merely formal organizations lacking both money and power.
D. They were necessary to the prosperity of the English colonial enterprise in North America.
the joint-stock companies provided the steady financial aid --served the purpose by ensuring the prosperity and success of the English colonial enterprise in North America.
E. They were created to limit the wealth of capitalist merchants.

A. they were not primarily involved in the manufacture of goods
B. they were restricted by the power of the king and the nobility
reference point from the last paragraph of the passage -- '..Care must be taken not to overemphasize the modernity of economic venture in England at this time. The king's court controlled the economy because the king used monopolies of the manufacture or importation of vital products to reward those he favored...'
C. most of them had monopolistic control of a market or a profit
D. few of them realized the profits their investors expected
E. some of them were composed almost entirely of middle-class merchants

Sir Walter Raleigh's Roanoke colonies, representative of early English colonization in North America....hence,

I. His policy of piracy against the Spanish treasure ships --> reference point (1st paragraph) : '...create bases for privateering against Spanish treasure ships..'
II. His lack of strong financial backing --> reference point (2nd paragraph) : '..colonization required such massive initial investment that a small Troup led by an individual did not have sufficient resources, especially when the colonies required infusions of funds over several years...'
III. His lack of knowledge about the environment in North America --> can't be inferred using the facts presented in the passage

A. I only
B. III only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

EEEBADBC is the CORRECT sequence
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33041 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Explanation

A. This option is mentioned in the passage, particularly Sir Walter Raleigh's role as a colonial promoter, but it is not the primary purpose of the passage. The passage provides a broader context about the development of English colonization, the role of joint-stock companies, and the challenges faced by early colonists. Raleigh's role is discussed, but it's not the central focus of the passage.

B. This option suggests that the passage aims to contrast joint-stock companies with modern corporations. However, the passage does mention joint-stock companies and their role in colonization, but it does not directly compare or contrast them with modern corporations. The passage primarily provides historical information about early English colonization in North America.

C. This option suggests that the passage's primary purpose is to portray the hardships faced by early English colonizers. While the passage does mention challenges faced by colonists, such as confusion about the purpose of colonies and the need for financial resources, this is not the central focus of the passage. The passage is more about providing historical context for the development of joint-stock companies.

D. This option suggests that the passage argues that privateering was detrimental to England's political self-interest during North American colonization. While the passage mentions privateering and how it may have affected one of Raleigh's colonies, it does not make a strong argument that privateering was inherently detrimental to England's political self-interest. The passage is more about historical context and the development of joint-stock companies.

(E) The passage provides historical background and context for the development of joint-stock companies in the early English colonization of North America. It discusses the initial confusion among English colonists about the purpose of their colonies, the role of individual promoters like Sir Walter Raleigh, and the emergence of joint-stock companies as a means to provide the necessary financial resources for successful colonization. The passage also touches upon the economic and political factors influencing colonization during that period.

Answer: E
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Explanation

A. This statement is not supported by the passage. The passage mentions that colonial promoters like Sir Walter Raleigh had different motivations and goals, including making money and seeking glory for themselves and England. There is no indication that they were all unified in support of the objectives of the colonies; in fact, the passage suggests some confusion among colonizers about the purpose of their colonies.

B. This statement is partially correct. The passage mentions that individual promoters like Raleigh and Sir Humphrey Gilbert were often associated with the image of the "swashbuckling Elizabethan" who contributed to England's prestige through daring and skill. However, it does not state that all colonial promoters were glamorous and individualistic. It only describes the stereotype associated with some of them.

C. This statement is not accurate. While the passage mentions privateering as one of the possible goals of the colonizers, it does not suggest that all colonial promoters supported piracy against the Spanish. In fact, it notes that John White believed that privateering had a negative impact on Raleigh's colony.

D. This statement is not explicitly mentioned in the passage. The passage primarily focuses on the motivations and goals of colonial promoters, such as making money and seeking glory, but it does not provide specific information about their personal financial contributions to their ventures.

E. This statement is supported by the passage. The passage explicitly states that Sir Walter Raleigh's primary goal, like that of all colonial promoters, was to make money. This implies that the primary motivation of colonial promoters during that period was financial gain, making option E the correct choice.

Answer: E
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Explanation

The passage mentions that investors in the Virginia Company of London were motivated by national prestige (which can be considered a form of patriotism) and the expectation of reaping a steady income from their shares (economic gain). Therefore, the correct answer is option C, indicating that investors were motivated by patriotism (I) and the desire for economic gain (III).

Answer: C
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Explanation

A. This option is not mentioned in the passage. The passage discusses the motivations of members of the nobility gaining influence in joint-stock companies, but it does not suggest that middle-class merchants sought military protection from Spanish pirates as a reason for this influence.

B. This option is supported by the passage. The passage states that members of the nobility were given shares and high offices in joint-stock companies because they had access to those members of the king's court who issued patents on territory and controlled colonial policies. It implies that middle-class merchants did not have the same access to the king and his court, which is why members of the nobility gained influence.

C. This option is not explicitly mentioned in the passage. While the passage discusses the influence of members of the nobility and their access to the king's court, it does not suggest that middle-class merchants lacked expertise in large-scale economic ventures as a reason for the influence of the nobility.

D. There is no information in the passage indicating that middle-class merchants had an undue regard for formal social status. The passage focuses on the aristocrats being chosen for their prestige and court connections, not because of any attitudes held by the middle-class merchants.

E. The passage does not mention anything about middle-class merchants borrowing money from the nobility for previous ventures. It primarily discusses the selection of aristocrats based on their social status and court connections.

Answer: B
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Explanation

A. This is the correct answer, as mentioned in the passage. The passage states that "Most who embarked for the colonies expected to return to England." This means that the earliest English colonists initially anticipated returning to England after their time in North America.

B. The passage does not mention that the earliest English colonists expected to become members of an aristocracy in North America. It discusses how members of the gentry and nobility were given shares in joint-stock companies, but it doesn't suggest that the colonists themselves had this expectation.

C. The passage doesn't directly address the expectation of receiving economic support from the English government by the earliest English colonists. It focuses more on the roles of individual promoters, joint-stock companies, and the aristocracy in financing and supporting colonization.

D. The passage does not mention that early English colonists' primary expectation was to establish plantations for trade with England. It does discuss confusion among colonists about their purpose, but it does not specify that trade with England was their primary goal.

E. The passage does not suggest that early English colonists expected to create self-supporting communities independent of England. In fact, it highlights their initial confusion about the purpose and character of the colonies, suggesting that they did not have a clear plan for complete independence from England.

Answer: A
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Explanation

A. This statement is not supported by the passage. The passage does not suggest that joint-stock companies were made possible for the first time by the colonization of North America. Instead, it discusses their formation as a response to the need for financial support in the context of colonization but does not attribute their existence solely to North American colonization.

B. The passage does not suggest that joint-stock companies were ineffectual due to differing motives among investors. It discusses the motives of the investors, including a desire for national prestige and a steady income, but it does not imply that these differing motives made the companies ineffectual. In fact, it mentions that the Virginia Company of London was the first and most famous of these joint-stock companies for colonization, indicating their significance.

C. This statement is not supported by the passage. The passage does not characterize joint-stock companies as merely formal organizations lacking both money and power. On the contrary, it emphasizes their role in providing financial support for colonization and mentions that they were formed to aid the English colonial enterprise.

D. This is the correct option. The passage explicitly suggests that joint-stock companies were necessary for the prosperity of the English colonial enterprise in North America. It states that colonization required massive initial investment, and joint-stock companies were formed to provide the steady aid required for these ventures.

E. The passage does not indicate that joint-stock companies were created to limit the wealth of capitalist merchants. It focuses on the role of these companies in supporting colonization and the reasons for selecting aristocrats as investors, but it does not suggest any anti-wealth motives related to capitalist merchants.

Answer: D
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Explanation

A. This statement is not a reason for considering joint-stock companies as not entirely modern. The passage doesn't focus on whether joint-stock companies were involved in the manufacture of goods or not, but rather on their role in financing colonization and their relationship with traditional institutions.
B. This is the correct option. The passage explicitly mentions that the king's court controlled the economy through the use of monopolies, and this power constricted economic opportunity. It implies that joint-stock companies were not entirely independent and were subject to restrictions imposed by the king and the nobility, which reflects a lack of modern economic autonomy.

C. This option is not supported by the passage. The passage doesn't provide information about whether joint-stock companies had monopolistic control over markets or profits. It focuses more on their formation and the role of investors, rather than their market control.

D. While the passage mentions that in the early years, few prospered, it does not specifically state that few joint-stock companies realized the profits their investors expected. The passage focuses more on the motives of the investors and the selection of aristocrats rather than the profitability of the companies themselves.

E. The passage does not provide information about the composition of joint-stock companies in terms of middle-class merchants. It mentions the involvement of aristocrats and gentry in the Virginia Company but does not specify the composition of other companies. Therefore, it does not support this statement about the composition of these companies.

Answer: B
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Explanation

I. His policy of piracy against the Spanish treasure ships

The passage mentions that Sir Walter Raleigh was involved in privateering against Spanish treasure ships. However, it also states that John White, the leader of Raleigh's last colony at Roanoke, believed that the diversions of privateering helped to kill the colony. This suggests that Raleigh's policy of piracy may have had a negative impact on the colony.

II. His lack of strong financial backing

The passage indicates that colonization required a massive initial investment and that joint-stock companies were formed to provide steady financial support for colonization. While it doesn't explicitly mention Raleigh's personal financial backing, it suggests that a lack of sufficient financial resources was an issue for early English colonists. This implies that Raleigh may have faced challenges related to financial backing.

III. His lack of knowledge about the environment in North America

The passage does not directly mention Raleigh's lack of knowledge about the environment in North America as a contributing factor to the failure of his colonies.
Based on the information in the passage, it can be inferred that factors I and II contributed to the failure of Sir Walter Raleigh's Roanoke colonies. Therefore, the correct answer is:

C. I and II only

Answer: C
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

OAs are posted.

E E C B A D B C

OEs are also posted. Competition mode is off.

1. nivivacious 9.5/10
2. Catman (slightly better than #3) 7/10
3. PK1 6/10
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

D. This is the correct option. The passage explicitly suggests that joint-stock companies were necessary for the prosperity of the English colonial enterprise in North America. It states that colonization required massive initial investment, and joint-stock companies were formed to provide the steady aid required for these ventures.

Ok, it seems that everyone else--excluding me--got this right but I still don't understand how people are connecting "colonization" or "steady-aid" to "prosperity"?
I can't see how both are the same thing? If you are saying that colonization leads to prosperity then that's outside info that isn't actually mentioned in the passage?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Sajjad1994 i got all right so hwy dont i have a rank
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
Sajjad1994 i got all right so hwy dont i have a rank

You are at number 4 and I mentioned only top 3.

All the explanations are being marked or evaluated based on the following factors.

1. Accuracy
2. Logical connection of explanations
3. Efforts put in to write up the explanation
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
0Lucky0 wrote:
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

Ok, it seems that everyone else--excluding me--got this right but I still don't understand how people are connecting "colonization" or "steady-aid" to "prosperity"?
I can't see how both are the same thing? If you are saying that colonization leads to prosperity then that's outside info that isn't actually mentioned in the passage?

@Sajjad(and others who got this right),
Am I wrong in my reasoning? If yes, then how? Can anyone please explain if possible?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts