It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 03:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD Jan 2015 Applicant Asked to Reapply - Advice Appreciated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 132

INSEAD Jan 2015 Applicant Asked to Reapply - Advice Appreciated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2014, 07:06
I have been a longtime stalker of this forum and this is my first post. I have witnessed how responsive, helpful and insightful the people of this forum are and I am hoping that you can be of assistance to me, too.

I recently applied to INSEAD (R3) for the January 2015 intake. I received a response from the Admissions Committee earlier this week. I was disappointed but I was also encouraged by the message. I was essentially told that I had been unsuccessful at this time because my GMAT quant score did not match the overall quality of my application. I have been asked to redo the GMAT and improve my quant score. If I can do this, I am "strongly encouraged" to reapply. I understand that INSEAD generally does not welcome reapplicants and so this is clearly a positive message.

My dilemma is whether to go ahead and redo the GMAT. I have a slight case of GMAT fatigue. I have already sat the test three times and have struggled mightily with the quant (I am a lawyer by training, enough said). I knew my quant score was very low and was taking a gamble (which has not paid off) by throwing my application into the ring. Are there people out there who have been in a similar position as me? Are there any recommendations you would make in terms of how I can go about improving my quant score? (e.g. quant resources, techniques, odd practices, anything at all). Prior to my third resit, and in an attempt to bolster my quant score, I did a Kaplan course (including several hours of Kaplan private tutoring) and I can honestly say that it was the biggest waste of money. With the benefit of hindsight, I would not enrol on another GMAT course. So if I do proceed with retaking the GMAT, it will be through sheer self-study. Having said that, I am loathe to put myself through the excruciating GMAT process again (made even more excruciating by the long hours I regularly put in at work) if I am not going to see any real improvement in my quant score.

Any feedback, thoughts, questions, etc very much welcome.

Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 132

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 130

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: INSEAD Jan 2015 Applicant Asked to Reapply - Advice Appreciated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2014, 23:04
womanonamission wrote:
I have been a longtime stalker of this forum and this is my first post. I have witnessed how responsive, helpful and insightful the people of this forum are and I am hoping that you can be of assistance to me, too.

I recently applied to INSEAD (R3) for the January 2015 intake. I received a response from the Admissions Committee earlier this week. I was disappointed but I was also encouraged by the message. I was essentially told that I had been unsuccessful at this time because my GMAT quant score did not match the overall quality of my application. I have been asked to redo the GMAT and improve my quant score. If I can do this, I am "strongly encouraged" to reapply. I understand that INSEAD generally does not welcome reapplicants and so this is clearly a positive message.

My dilemma is whether to go ahead and redo the GMAT. I have a slight case of GMAT fatigue. I have already sat the test three times and have struggled mightily with the quant (I am a lawyer by training, enough said). I knew my quant score was very low and was taking a gamble (which has not paid off) by throwing my application into the ring. Are there people out there who have been in a similar position as me? Are there any recommendations you would make in terms of how I can go about improving my quant score? (e.g. quant resources, techniques, odd practices, anything at all). Prior to my third resit, and in an attempt to bolster my quant score, I did a Kaplan course (including several hours of Kaplan private tutoring) and I can honestly say that it was the biggest waste of money. With the benefit of hindsight, I would not enrol on another GMAT course. So if I do proceed with retaking the GMAT, it will be through sheer self-study. Having said that, I am loathe to put myself through the excruciating GMAT process again (made even more excruciating by the long hours I regularly put in at work) if I am not going to see any real improvement in my quant score.

Any feedback, thoughts, questions, etc very much welcome.

Thank you.

Lets be honest here you are no amateur, you know what you need to prove to INSEAD, the course requires a certain rigor in terms of Quantitative ability and you have to prove that you have it. Stacy has given additional ways in which you can show your Quantitative ability http://www.stacyblackman.com/2014/02/10 ... dmissions/ . That being said, What was your score in Quant, if you are not looking at courses, GMATclub is the best place to improve your Quant ability if you involve yourself in the community. Start following this guy members/member-73391.html In my first attempt I was able to score 49 just by practicing OG, reading through MGMAT guides and solving MOCKs and analyzing, of course being an Indian I have a natural aptitude for Quant(Not from IT though :)).

There are other threads which you need to look at such as how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q44-to-q50-141670.html depending on the kind of Quant score you have.

You are one of the few people who know what they need to do to get in, most of the ding profiles have no idea why they didn't get in so you already have an upper hand there, rest is up to you. Do you wanna say I am a lawyer and I don't have time to study Quant or I will take time and do what's required.

Sorry for being so blunt but I have a strong feeling that you are almost there!!!!!!

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Student for Life ( Oxford MBA)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V44
GMAT 2: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.9
INSEAD Jan 2015 Applicant Asked to Reapply - Advice Appreciated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2014, 17:41
What was your GMAT score and split? I am looking at INSEAD and I am also worried about my lowish quant score.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Re: INSEAD Jan 2015 Applicant Asked to Reapply - Advice Appreciated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 02:52
I have given my GMAT a couple of times, always scored a 49 or 50 in quant and absolutely sucked in verbal, check your inbox , I'm giving you access to a course I bought for $250. It has video lessons, questions and notes. Start with this, do the OG thoroughly and manhattan tests. You will be good!
All the best :)

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 132

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 03:48
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Farharn - I appreciate your forthrightness and I totally agree with you; I just need to buckle down and put everything into improving my quant score. You are right that I at least have the benefit of knowing what has let down my application and I need to use that to my advantage.

Powermad, I scored in the 90th percentile for verbal and the 40th percentile (I wasn't exaggerating when I said my score was very low) for the quant. I don't think your quant score could have been as low as mine.

Aanya9, thanks again!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 132

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 05:41
womanonamission wrote:
Thanks Farharn - I appreciate your forthrightness and I totally agree with you; I just need to buckle down and put everything into improving my quant score. You are right that I at least have the benefit of knowing what has let down my application and I need to use that to my advantage.

Powermad, I scored in the 90th percentile for verbal and the 40th percentile (I wasn't exaggerating when I said my score was very low) for the quant. I don't think your quant score could have been as low as mine.

Aanya9, thanks again!

Wow!!!! you must be having a great profile to be considered at 40th percentile. Back to the basics if you have that kind of score for Quant.gmat-math-book-87417.html GMATclub has all the resources for Quant. Stalk some more and you will know what I am talking about.

Good luck and hoping to see you at INSEAD some day :-D

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Student for Life ( Oxford MBA)

Re: INSEAD Jan 2015 Applicant Asked to Reapply - Advice Appreciated   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2014, 05:41