GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
INSEAD profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 08:57
Hello everybody,

I am inclined to apply to INSEAD this year for the September'19 intake batch. I would love to get your comments on my profile and how should I position it in the INSEAD essays, below are the details -

Indian male, an engineer by education, 28y now - 29y at the time of admission (if admitted)
Education - Top IITs - GPA 8+ (out of 10) - translates to 3.9 (out of 4)
Work -
2y FinTech consulting across SE Asia
2y my own FinTech startup - raised money from US, executed in India
1.5y strategy team of a bulge bracket Financial Markets bank
1.5y (present role) working for a VC firm managing consumer internet & fintech investments - plan to work here till (and if) I get an admit

Goal -
Long term : VC investment (early & growth stage investments)
Short term: not sure, either Business Owner (work for a big firm in business owning roles) or VC

I am not sure (and would love your advice) of the following -
1. Should I claim myself as a FinTech guy or would that become too specific (read: less diversified) in the Insead app?
2. In my short term goal, should I mention investment role or execution role? I am concerned because -
2.1. Investment role would raise the questions on the need for MBA as I am already in an investment role and such firms do not recruit from campus
2.2. Typically, people do not move from Investment to Operation role, I would have to explain this stand if I mention that as a short term goal

Would love your views on fine-tuning the story to maximize my chance. Thanks.

Also, on a separate note, would love to know which other schools should I think about?
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: INSEAD profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 10:10
Hi

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Below are my answers to your questions:

1. Should I claim myself as a FinTech guy or would that become too specific (read: less diversified) in the Insead app? You have four (4) years of FinTech experience, so undervaluing that experience is not wise (and admissions committee's will notice that quickly). Instead, think about how your experiences have shaped you and how they have moved you toward VC and an MBA.
2. In my short term goal, should I mention investment role or execution role? I am concerned because -
2.1. Investment role would raise the questions on the need for MBA as I am already in an investment role and such firms do not recruit from campus
2.2. Typically, people do not move from Investment to Operation role, I would have to explain this stand if I mention that as a short term goal You will have to define your career goals, short-term and long-term, clearly. Additionally, you will have to express why you require an MBA. What will an MBA offer that you cannot get on your own, or it will take a long time to get on your own? Why do you require an MBA altogether? Why now? And why do you need an MBA from INSEAD? You should be truthful and clearly define what you hope to accomplish with an MBA. Figuring that out is a process that will require some reflection on your end; it's never clear-cut.

As to school selection, that too is a process. You can reference this article https://siaadmissions.com/sia-blog/six-tips-for-drafting-a-list-of-your-top-10-b-schools to help you put together your list of schools.

If you are interested in continuing the conversation, please reach out to coordinate a free 30-minute consultation (contact details in signature). We can discuss the above questions as well as the opportunity to work together.

Good luck!

DoItRight46 wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am inclined to apply to INSEAD this year for the September'19 intake batch. I would love to get your comments on my profile and how should I position it in the INSEAD essays, below are the details -

Indian male, an engineer by education, 28y now - 29y at the time of admission (if admitted)
Work -
1.5y (present role) working for a VC firm managing consumer internet & fintech investments - plan to work here till (and if) I get an admit

Goal -
Short term: not sure, either Business Owner (work for a big firm in business owning roles) or VC

1. Should I claim myself as a FinTech guy or would that become too specific (read: less diversified) in the Insead app?
2.2. Typically, people do not move from Investment to Operation role, I would have to explain this stand if I mention that as a short term goal

Also, on a separate note, would love to know which other schools should I think about?

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
B
Re: INSEAD profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 23:37
DoItRight46 wrote:
Hello everybody,

Work -

Goal -

First things first, you need to introspect and figure out as to why you would want to do an MBA and what would you want to do post MBA?

You do have a great profile and if you are able to bring out your true self in your application, you do have a strong chance.
*You should definitely leverage your Fintech experience and highlight the same in your profile primarily because the majority of your experience is in the said domain. Does that affect your 'diversity points'? Depends on how you portray it. There could be many applicants who would have FinTech background but not many would have went on to establish there own Fintech firm.
*Continuing in 'Investment role' post MBA should not raise any concern as long as you are able to justify the need for MBA. It could be the people skills, network or a specific set of courses that would help you better do your current job and rise up in the hierarchy.
*Majority of Insead graduate change geography and/or work stream. So, that should not be an issue at all as long as your motivation to do an MBA, short term and long term goal are coherent.

http://aidmit.com/

INSEAD CLASS OF 19J

Founder, Aidmit.com
We help you secure MBA Admit

GMAT Club Bot
Re: INSEAD profile evaluation &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 23:37

INSEAD profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap