GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 17:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

INSEAD vs LBS

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 13
CAT Tests
INSEAD vs LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 01:29
Hello,
I've trying to make up my mind regarding the most suitable school in my case, and would really appreciate your advice on the matter.
In a nutshell about myself :
*I'm 25, will be almost 27 in the beginning of the MBA studies.
*Software developer with around 3 years of exp. Prior military exp in operational and tech fields.
*Have a B.Sc in computer science.
*Speak fluently 3 languages, and another language at around B1 level.
*Non-EU, and non-us citizen. This is something of a big concern to me, as I'm not sure whether this might hinder me from getting a job in Europe or anywhere else, even after graduating from schools like LBS/INSEAD.(?)

Geography : I'm not sure where exactly I want to end up working/living, but USA hangs quite low in my preference list(NYC does sound interesting, but I assume visa issues might be a deal-breaker here. Please correct me if I'm wrong).
I want to keep the following options open : London, Melbourne/Sydney, Germany, Zurich. Also, I'm open to *temporarily* move to cities such as Singapore/Seoul for a first post-MBA job.

Career goals : Not sure about the specific role I want to pursuit. Part of my desire to study in a top school, is the possibility to be exposed to other various possible career paths, that I'm not aware of at this moment.
I'm assuming the "natural" path would be Product Management, especially at FAANG companies.
In general though, I want to something where I could deal with the "business" things, if that makes sense. Preferably international. And something with an impact on a more larger scale.

Other considerations :
The total cost of this whole journey is critical to me, as I would have to take a loan in the sum of almost the entire total cost.
As INSEAD is a short program(I am aiming for the January intake, because of the internship option), it makes much more sense to me financially, in comparison to LBS. It's just much cheaper with all the tuition+living expenses, and I can start my career much earlier in contrast to a 2-year program.
I also like how diverse it is both student-wise and geographically(Studying in Singapore and in Europe sounds like an amazing experience).
LBS on the other hand is in London, maybe it would be much easier to find a job and get a visa there than coming from INSEAD, in case I would want to stay in London.
It also frightens me a bit that INSEAD is primarily associated with consulting. Makes me wonder about its reputation in other fields..

* I'm also considering slightly "cheaper" options, such as Judge/Said, and maybe even top US programs like Kellogg(they have 1 year and 2 year programs), though that would even more expensive than LBS I'm assuming, and I'm not sure it's worth it. In any case, I'm not sure how their job placements are in the Tech industry in comparison to LBS/INSEAD. However, as I said earlier, I might change my mind about Tech in general. and take a different direction. *I'm open to changes*, and want to keep open as many options as possible.

Evaluating the costs, the citizenship/visa issues, the general post-mba goals, are there any advices?

Thank you very much.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 77
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Re: INSEAD vs LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 06:27
Was in a similar situation as you, and am probably biased.

Leaving US aside, I would like to frame it over career prospects, as all locations you are interested in are achievable through both schools. Would say slight advantage outside of UK for INSEAD, slight advantage in UK for LBS.

If you're looking for FAANG, I would go to INSEAD. All of them come to both schools, so a 1 year program makes much more sense economically. Also, INSEAD's tech scene is well developed in my opinion and a fair amount of guys leave virtually anywhere around the globe for tech jobs.

If you're looking for smaller startups, I think LBS has a slight temporary advantage, which is that the tier 4 visa allows you to work for a year in the UK. After that, you will have to search for bigger companies, or companies that sponsor, making INSEAD and LBS the same in terms of visa. Getting a tier 1 tech star visa (by this superficial view at your profile it might be achievable for you) would make both schools equal, thus making INSEAD a better choice in terms of ROI.

Regarding breadth of opportunities, I can only speak for INSEAD, and while I do agree that a lot of INSEAD grads go to consulting, it is more linked to students' choice rather than offer. 300/350 companies go to INSEAD to recruit each year, so you'll have your shot at any industry.

Lastly, there is the UK vs France/Singapore dilemma. I know what I chose and can tell you it is amazing, but it would be worth considering if you are serious about recruiting in Australia.

Hope it helps, all the best, congrats for both admits and good luck!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 13
CAT Tests
Re: INSEAD vs LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 13:00
rtbs15 wrote:
Was in a similar situation as you, and am probably biased.

Leaving US aside, I would like to frame it over career prospects, as all locations you are interested in are achievable through both schools. Would say slight advantage outside of UK for INSEAD, slight advantage in UK for LBS.

If you're looking for FAANG, I would go to INSEAD. All of them come to both schools, so a 1 year program makes much more sense economically. Also, INSEAD's tech scene is well developed in my opinion and a fair amount of guys leave virtually anywhere around the globe for tech jobs.

If you're looking for smaller startups, I think LBS has a slight temporary advantage, which is that the tier 4 visa allows you to work for a year in the UK. After that, you will have to search for bigger companies, or companies that sponsor, making INSEAD and LBS the same in terms of visa. Getting a tier 1 tech star visa (by this superficial view at your profile it might be achievable for you) would make both schools equal, thus making INSEAD a better choice in terms of ROI.

Regarding breadth of opportunities, I can only speak for INSEAD, and while I do agree that a lot of INSEAD grads go to consulting, it is more linked to students' choice rather than offer. 300/350 companies go to INSEAD to recruit each year, so you'll have your shot at any industry.

Lastly, there is the UK vs France/Singapore dilemma. I know what I chose and can tell you it is amazing, but it would be worth considering if you are serious about recruiting in Australia.

Hope it helps, all the best, congrats for both admits and good luck!


Thank you very much for the help.
Would you say that it would be wise to try to get admitted to programs like Cambridge Judge/Oxford Said instead? it's cheaper, and has a tremendous brand recognition(at least its undergrad school..). But could it really compete with LBS/INSEAD and get me to my goals..

Regarding your last statement, about Australia recruiting, may I ask you to elaborate a bit on the difference between insead/lbs in terms of alumni network/how mba is viewed there in general/prestige/etc.? For some reason, I can find very little info about post-mba in Australia...
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2014
Posts: 77
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Re: INSEAD vs LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 01:16
1
Somnium wrote:
Thank you very much for the help.
Would you say that it would be wise to try to get admitted to programs like Cambridge Judge/Oxford Said instead? it's cheaper, and has a tremendous brand recognition(at least its undergrad school..). But could it really compete with LBS/INSEAD and get me to my goals..

Regarding your last statement, about Australia recruiting, may I ask you to elaborate a bit on the difference between insead/lbs in terms of alumni network/how mba is viewed there in general/prestige/etc.? For some reason, I can find very little info about post-mba in Australia...


I just don't understand what would you get out of it. You are alread admitted at both top european bschools by miles. Why downgrade?

If it is a money issue, I'd say the MBA is a significant investment and 20/30k won't make a difference when you look back 10 years after finishing. The career services are more developed, the programs have world recognition, and you will be surrounded by a higher caliber of students. HAving said this, I think Judge and Said would be able to deliver value in FAANG, but the main difference is that second tier of companies if you don't make it, as well as caliber of candidates that will be in your classes, groups, and practicing with you during recruiting season.

Regarding Australia, I'd recommend you to go speak to MBA grads there. I know it is a very small market with a lot of supply. On the other hand, I do know that a lot of Australian offices go to INSEAD's SGP campus, I just don't know how many people they are looking to hire.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 13
CAT Tests
Re: INSEAD vs LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 01:46
rtbs15 wrote:
Somnium wrote:
Thank you very much for the help.
Would you say that it would be wise to try to get admitted to programs like Cambridge Judge/Oxford Said instead? it's cheaper, and has a tremendous brand recognition(at least its undergrad school..). But could it really compete with LBS/INSEAD and get me to my goals..

Regarding your last statement, about Australia recruiting, may I ask you to elaborate a bit on the difference between insead/lbs in terms of alumni network/how mba is viewed there in general/prestige/etc.? For some reason, I can find very little info about post-mba in Australia...


I just don't understand what would you get out of it. You are alread admitted at both top european bschools by miles. Why downgrade?

If it is a money issue, I'd say the MBA is a significant investment and 20/30k won't make a difference when you look back 10 years after finishing. The career services are more developed, the programs have world recognition, and you will be surrounded by a higher caliber of students. HAving said this, I think Judge and Said would be able to deliver value in FAANG, but the main difference is that second tier of companies if you don't make it, as well as caliber of candidates that will be in your classes, groups, and practicing with you during recruiting season.

Regarding Australia, I'd recommend you to go speak to MBA grads there. I know it is a very small market with a lot of supply. On the other hand, I do know that a lot of Australian offices go to INSEAD's SGP campus, I just don't know how many people they are looking to hire.


Thank you again for the advice and the help!
Re: INSEAD vs LBS &nbs [#permalink] 31 Aug 2018, 01:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

INSEAD vs LBS

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.