GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

insomnia due to math

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
insomnia due to math [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2014, 04:45
Hey everyone,

Need some advice here.

I am currently studying for GMAT and am aiming 740+ (damn you oxford). Unfortunately I only have a month to get the exam out of my way. I only study quant because my verbal is in the 80-90s all the time and my quant has never been above 70, so I set priorities.

I got the 5 guides from manhattan and basically what I do is
wake up 5-30 to 6 and study for 2-3 hours
go to work
come back and study form about 7 till 11/11.30. Then bed. Then about 20hours over the weekend.

My issues is that I now can't fall asleep. Or if I do I wake up due to my brain solving some equation (wonder where he gets them). Can someone share any advice on how to turn the brain off before sleep? I can afford like a 30-40min break before sleep and I am currently trying to read some fiction, which works to fall asleep but I still wake up easily and am tired in the mornings. Also tried wine - same effect.

Please don't write that I should stop doing that much math or that it is better to spread out GMAT over 3 months. I know all those things, I just don't have a choice - I need to nail it and my math is bad.

Any foods I should eat / avoid in the afternoon? Has someone tried mediation? And what's your take on sleeping pills - are they worth it? or bad idea? Any experience / advice would help a lot! Thanks!!
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: insomnia due to math [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2014, 11:29
imoi wrote:
Hey everyone,

Need some advice here.

I am currently studying for GMAT and am aiming 740+ (damn you oxford). Unfortunately I only have a month to get the exam out of my way. I only study quant because my verbal is in the 80-90s all the time and my quant has never been above 70, so I set priorities.

go to work
come back and study form about 7 till 11/11.30. Then bed. Then about 20hours over the weekend.

My issues is that I now can't fall asleep. Or if I do I wake up due to my brain solving some equation (wonder where he gets them). Can someone share any advice on how to turn the brain off before sleep? I can afford like a 30-40min break before sleep and I am currently trying to read some fiction, which works to fall asleep but I still wake up easily and am tired in the mornings. Also tried wine - same effect.

Please don't write that I should stop doing that much math or that it is better to spread out GMAT over 3 months. I know all those things, I just don't have a choice - I need to nail it and my math is bad.

Any foods I should eat / avoid in the afternoon? Has someone tried mediation? And what's your take on sleeping pills - are they worth it? or bad idea? Any experience / advice would help a lot! Thanks!!

CALM DOWN

You just said you are going to study 6-7 hours every day on weekdays and 20 hours on the weekends. That's not just unhealthy for your GMAT score, but for your personal life in general too. Studying for that long will only get you too exhausted to actually use your cognition in the test. Also, GMAT can be done in a month too. That does not always relate to that disproportionate number of hours on math.

Please be cautious before making such a plan.

Turning the brain off before sleeping: this is being anxious (probably from all the hours spent on numbers and math). Try and relax. Run before you go to sleep. Physical exhaustion often leads to a great sleep.

Sleeping pills/meditation/food: Dude, just do what you normally do to stay healthy. Eat good food, that cleanse your system (fruits and leafy vegetables are great choices), bananas for the potassium. Meditation is good but it does not seem to work for beginners. (Feel free to try, and it may help with the insomnia). DO NOT take sleeping pills unprescribed. See a doctor if you have to.

Also, please don't seek medical help from people who are not professionals.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2014, 02:34
souvik101990 wrote:
imoi wrote:
Hey everyone,

Need some advice here.

go to work

CALM DOWN

You just said you are going to study 6-7 hours every day on weekdays and 20 hours on the weekends. That's not just unhealthy for your GMAT score, but for your personal life in general too. Studying for that long will only get you too exhausted to actually use your cognition in the test. Also, GMAT can be done in a month too. That does not always relate to that disproportionate number of hours on math.

Please be cautious before making such a plan.

Turning the brain off before sleeping: this is being anxious (probably from all the hours spent on numbers and math). Try and relax. Run before you go to sleep. Physical exhaustion often leads to a great sleep.

Sleeping pills/meditation/food: Dude, just do what you normally do to stay healthy. Eat good food, that cleanse your system (fruits and leafy vegetables are great choices), bananas for the potassium. Meditation is good but it does not seem to work for beginners. (Feel free to try, and it may help with the insomnia). DO NOT take sleeping pills unprescribed. See a doctor if you have to.

Also, please don't seek medical help from people who are not professionals.

Just wanted to say thanks for this - I did actually set a limit of 11pm after your post and started running after. This solved sleep.

May I ask - you mention that GMAT can be done in a month. I just finished MGMAT's 5 math books, sat a practice test and am on 690. I checked the question range for quant and for first time ever they all were in the 700-800 range (usually I get a mix of 600-700 and 700-800) - something I find pleasing. Still my quant was 68%, and I guessed a lot during the test to keep up with the time so in general I am disappointed.

To summarise my math problem: I know how to solve 99% of questions, but no way can I nail it in 2min. Some questions take me 30m to review after I finish the test, how can I nail them in 2? What should I focus on to get my math above 90%? Right now I am trying everything from flash cards, to long explanations to trying more problems. Any advice at all?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2014, 07:09
Quote:
May I ask - you mention that GMAT can be done in a month. I just finished MGMAT's 5 math books, sat a practice test and am on 690. I checked the question range for quant and for first time ever they all were in the 700-800 range (usually I get a mix of 600-700 and 700-800) - something I find pleasing. Still my quant was 68%, and I guessed a lot during the test to keep up with the time so in general I am disappointed.

To summarise my math problem: I know how to solve 99% of questions, but no way can I nail it in 2min. Some questions take me 30m to review after I finish the test, how can I nail them in 2? What should I focus on to get my math above 90%? Right now I am trying everything from flash cards, to long explanations to trying more problems. Any advice at all?

Hi,
Glad that the sleep problem is solved! One done and a couple more to go. Here are my thoughts about math. Some of them may solve your problem, and others just may be extraneous information. Filter to your needs.

• Difficulty range (500-600, 600-700. 700-800) cannot be a question type: When you say something like "I miss question types of 700-800 level, you emanate a sign of ineffectiveness in concept review. Think in terms of quant topics and NOT difficulty level. When reviewing a test, figure out how many questions are you missing topic wise and then review them.
  • If you cannot solve a question in under 2-3 minutes you are doing something wrong: Sure there will be some questions which will take you 4-5 minutes on the GMAT and rightfully so, but "most" questions can be solved in less than 3 minutes. If you are unable to do so, think in terms of the problem solving approach that you are using. Are you plugging in numbers? Are you testing cases? (Extremely crucial for DS)
  • Nailing every question under 2 mins is a BIG FAT MYTH: SImple answer is YOU CANNOT. The AVERAGE time to solve a quant problem on the GMAT is 2 minutes. That means some will take less and some more. That's how average works.
  • Right now I am trying everything from flash cards, to long explanations to trying more problems.: May be you are trying TOO many things. I would suggest go through the Share GMAT experiences forum, check the quant strategies used by awesome folks with awesome scores and pick one that suits your need and style

Do these things help? More specifics will give me more ideas to help!

Souvik

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Cant Sleep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 23:01
Im 12 and the top of my class in various subjects mostly math and every night i need to do a lot of math equations before i can even shut my eyes! then i have a headache because i was doing such hard equations then i cant sleep because of my splitting headache! I need some help if anyone can help.
Cant Sleep   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2018, 23:01

insomnia due to math

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR JULY
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap