Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6776 [186]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [68]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [29]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [28]
Send PM
Re: GMAT PREP (DS) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The integers m and p are such that 2<m<p, and m is not a factor of p. if r is the remainder when p is divided by m, is r>1?

Given: \(2<m<p\) and \(\frac{p}{m}\neq{integer}\). \(p=xm+r\). q: \(r=?\)

(1) The greatest common factor of m and p is 2 --> \(p\) and \(m\) are even (as both have 2 as a factor) --> even divided by even can give only even remainder (0, 2, 4, ...), since the remainder is not zero (as \(\frac{p}{m}\neq{integer}\)), then the remainder must be more than 1. Sufficient.

(2) The least common multiple of m and p is 30 --> if \(m=5\) and \(p=6\), then remainder=1=1 and thus the answer to the question will be NO. BUT if \(m=10\) and \(p=15\), then remainder=5>1 and thus the answer to the question will be YES. Two different answers. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [11]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: DS:GCD of numbers. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ravitejapandiri wrote:
A small doubt!Are the concepts GCD,LCM applicable to negative numbers?If so,please explain and tel me why -ve numbers are not considered in the Fact1 of the following problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------
The integers m and p are such that 2<m<p, and m is not a factor of p. if r is the remainder when p is divided by m, is r>1?

(1) the greatest common factor of m and p is 2
(2) the least common multiple of m and p is 30
--------------------------------------------------------------

I understood that Fact2 is not sufficient but am not sure about Fact1.If negative numbers are taken,then,for example, GCD(-8,6) is 2 and gives new remainder.Am I going wrong somewhere?

(1) This is sufficient. We know gcd(m,p)=2, this means both m & p are even.
Let q be the quotient and r the remainder when p is divided by m
p = q*m + r
Note that r cannot be 0, since if r=0, then m divides p and is therefore a factor of p, which we know is not true
Also note r cannot be 1, since if r=1, them q*m (even number) + 1 (odd) is an odd number, which is not possible since we know that p is even
Hence r>1.

(2) Not sufficient. eg. m=6,p=15,lcm=30, remainder=3; m=5,p=6,lcm=30, remainder=1

Ans is (A)

Note on negative numbers
I am not entirely sure what the doubt above is, but atleast in this question we are given 2<m<p, so neither can be negative.
In general when talking about division using negative numbers, there can be two values of r, and we have to decide on definition before hand, so I dont think this something the GMAT can test on. Eg, consider division of 10 by -7. 10 = 1*(-7) + (-3) & 10=2*(-7) + (4). Both -3 and 4 are well defined remainders as both satisfy the condition 0<=Abs(remainder)<Abs(divisor). I have never seen GMAT questions deal with negative divisions & remainders because of this ambiguity.

Originally posted by shrouded1 on 20 Sep 2010, 02:20.
Last edited by shrouded1 on 20 Sep 2010, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
When evaluating statement (2) LCD = 30, is there a way to get the conclusion of insufficient by looking at the prime factors of 30 rather than sub-ing in numbers?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
FQ wrote:
When evaluating statement (2) LCD = 30, is there a way to get the conclusion of insufficient by looking at the prime factors of 30 rather than sub-ing in numbers?

Its one and the same thing. You are looking for 2 factors of 30, such that one is a multiple of the other OR p=km+1 and at the same time their LCM is 30.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Re: The integers m and p are such that 2<m<p, and m is not a [#permalink]
Kudos
ravitejapandiri wrote:

(1) the greatest common factor of m and p is 2
(2) the least common multiple of m and p is 30

(1) from this statement we know that both m and n are even integers, whenever we divide even integers to each other the remainder will be 0 or more than 1. However since m and n must be greater than 2 and the greatest common factor is 2, each integer contains some distinct from each other factors. For example, 4(2*2) and 6(3*2), 6(3*2) and 8(2*2*2). So the remainder will be greater than 1 in any case. Sufficient.

(2) here we can have several integers that fit into the 2nd statement's condition and have different remainders. For example, 5 and 6, their LCM is 30 the remainder is 1; and 15 and 6, their LCM is again 30 but the remainder is greater than 1. Not sufficient.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
What would be a good numerical example to satisfy statement 1
m=8, p=14?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
What would be a good numerical example to satisfy statement 1
m=8, p=14?

Yes. Or:
m=4, and p=6.
m=4, and p=10.
m=4, and p=14.
m=4, and p=18.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(1) The greatest common factor of m and p is 2 --> \(p\) and \(m\) are even (as both have 2 as a factor) --> even divided by even can give only even remainder (0, 2, 4, ...), since the remainder is not zero (as \(\frac{p}{m}\neq{integer}\)), then the remainder must be more than 1. Sufficient.

(2) The least common multiple of m and p is 30 --> if \(m=5\) and \(p=6\), then remainder=1=1 and thus the answer to the question will be NO. BUT if \(m=10\) and \(p=15\), then remainder=5>1 and thus the answer to the question will be YES. Two different answers. Not sufficient.

I just have one doubt which seems going against my basic concepts when 15 is divided by 10, it has same result as when 3 is divided by 2, and when you divide 15 by 10, you do not take it as 3 divided by 2. The remainders of both the fractions should 1, but you are taking it otherwise.

Pl explain this part.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankit41 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I just have one doubt which seems going against my basic concepts when 15 is divided by 10, it has same result as when 3 is divided by 2, and when you divide 15 by 10, you do not take it as 3 divided by 2. The remainders of both the fractions should 1, but you are taking it otherwise.

Pl explain this part.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate? Thank you.

Both 15/10 and 3/2 is 1.5 but the remainder when 15 is divided by 10 is 5 and the remainders when 3 is divided by 2 is 1.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
ankit41 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Pl explain this part.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate? Thank you.

Both 15/10 and 3/2 is 1.5 but the remainder when 15 is divided by 10 is 5 and the remainders when 3 is divided by 2 is 1.

Why is the remainder of 15/10 is 5 and not 1? we know that 15/10 is same as 3/2. What I am doing while calculating remainders, I simplify the fraction if it can be further simplified like in the case of 15/10, I simplified the fraction to 3/2 and then I will find the remainder, it comes out to be 1 but If I donot simplify the fraction the remainder comes out to be 5.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
ankit41 wrote:
Why is the remainder of 15/10 is 5 and not 1? we know that 15/10 is same as 3/2. What I am doing while calculating remainders, I simplify the fraction if it can be further simplified like in the case of 15/10, I simplified the fraction to 3/2 and then I will find the remainder, it comes out to be 1 but If I donot simplify the fraction the remainder comes out to be 5.

Hmm. Well what you are doing is not entirely correct. When you simplify the given fractions, keep in hand the common factor which factored out from both the Numerator and the Denominator. For eg, in \(\frac{15}{10}\) we factored out 5 from both the places. Thus, the remainder of the simplified fraction, as you correctly said is 1. Just multiply this back with the common factor, i.e. in this case 5. And hence, the final remainder is 5.

You cannot just cancel out factors and expect the same remainder.

For eg, if your logic were true, we would have Remainder of \(\frac{16}{6}\) = Remainder of \(\frac{8}{3}\) which is definitely not the case.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
What if the numbers are 10 and 22
where gcf is 2
but remainder is only 1.
shouldnt it be r>1 ? when equal to and greater wont that be insufficient ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shallow9323 wrote:
What if the numbers are 10 and 22
where gcf is 2
but remainder is only 1.
shouldnt it be r>1 ? when equal to and greater wont that be insufficient ?

22 divided by 10 gives the remainder of 2, not 1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
from 1st hint what if i take m=6 and p=10 then remainder comes out to be 4 .
then answer shouldn't be (E) ?

Can someone please explain where i am going wrong ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
chauhanvibhu wrote:
from 1st hint what if i take m=6 and p=10 then remainder comes out to be 4 .
then answer shouldn't be (E) ?

Can someone please explain where i am going wrong ?

YES, the remainder comes out to be 4, But the question is asking whether the remainder is > 1 or not? 4 is > 1, so answer to the question asked is YES. Sufficient to answer still. No matter which example you take, you have to take both even values such that one is not a factor of other, and remainder will thus be either 2 or 4 or 6... always greater than 1.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64915 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM