Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
Right you are, but I don't think they are that clear... most of them say by invitation only... but I hear of you guys all getting interviews before hearing back about the apps...

Perhaps all my schools are by invitation only and I am just thinking too much. And also I wanted to confirm the term "by invitation only"... that means you DON'T have to request one right?

Then is it possible to get an admit without an interview?
:?

Cornell, Chicago are invitation only. UCLA I believe is not but "strongly suggested", but im not sure.

It makes sense that you get an interview before you hear back about the apps - your interview part of your application process.

So the timeline works like this (generally)

Apply
Wait a few weeks, hope for an interview invite
If you get one, go to the interview
Wait a few more weeks and hope for an accept

I know of no school that accepts without an interview. There may be one or two candidate exceptions due to circumstances, but all schools I've ever looked at report that 100% of admitted students had an interview, so without one you are dead.

GSB goes so far as to set a cutoff date for interviews - if you dotn get an invite by X, you've been denied. Those that make it past X, get to wait one more month to date Y, for a decision. Cornell just invites you, up to the last few days before the decision date. HBS does the same.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for clearing this up... I guess what confuses me is this:
When you submit by a certain deadline, they say that you will get a decision by date Y. And then they say Interviews are by invite only.

The time between the deadline and date Y is quite short (2 months?) how do they interview everyone they want and make decisions?

I actually asked the adcom at Stern, and their response was that sometimes your "decision" is actually an invite for interview.

So I guess they are kinda lying when they say that you are guaranteed a decision by date Y. What they really mean is, you will hear back something by date Y. And the real admit decision comes back at some unknown date X...

I sure hope I don't have to fly to NYC on a moment's notice at Christmas time! :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe that the schools garantee you will hear one of the following: ding, admint, interview.

I know that UNC requires an interview and you are supposed to schedule it yourself. NYU is by invite only, they decide not you. Don't worry, if you get an invite than you will most likely have flexibility as to when to come for an interview. I never heard of a school expecting you to show up on a moment's notice
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]