It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2015
Posts: 11

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 1

Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 23:35
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:01) correct 28% (00:55) wrong based on 82 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0?

(1) x < 4
(2) x > -3
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5229

Kudos [?]: 5883 [0], given: 118

Re: Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 00:16
fattty wrote:
Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0?

(1) x < 4
(2) x > -3



Hi,
as usual , lets see the inequality and get some info out of it..
\(3x^2 - 2 > 0\)..
or \(x^2>\frac{2}{3}\)..
Now this to be true, x can not lie between \(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and \(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\)

Lets see the statements now..
(1) x < 4
this range includes both x in between \(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and \(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and x outside it... insuff

(2) x > -3
again this range includes both x in between \(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and \(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and x outside it... insuff

combined.. the above point still remains.. insuff

E
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5883 [0], given: 118

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Dec 2015
Posts: 186

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 99

Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.88
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Reviews Badge
Re: Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 04:10
chetan2u wrote:
fattty wrote:
Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0?

(1) x < 4
(2) x > -3



Hi,
as usual , lets see the inequality and get some info out of it..
\(3x^2 - 2 > 0\)..
or \(x^2>\frac{2}{3}\)..
Now this to be true, x can not lie between \(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and \(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\)

Lets see the statements now..
(1) x < 4
this range includes both x in between \(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and \(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and x outside it... insuff

(2) x > -3
again this range includes both x in between \(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and \(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and x outside it... insuff

combined.. the above point still remains.. insuff

E


hi! I've just put 2 conditions -

Statement 1 - x < 4

x could = -1 and answer would be yes
or
x = 0 and answer is no

These numbers work for statement 2 as well, thus E.

Is that logic right?

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 99

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5229

Kudos [?]: 5883 [0], given: 118

Re: Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 04:15
lpetroski wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
fattty wrote:
Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0?

(1) x < 4
(2) x > -3



Hi,
as usual , lets see the inequality and get some info out of it..
\(3x^2 - 2 > 0\)..
or \(x^2>\frac{2}{3}\)..
Now this to be true, x can not lie between \(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and \(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\)

Lets see the statements now..
(1) x < 4
this range includes both x in between \(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and \(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and x outside it... insuff

(2) x > -3
again this range includes both x in between \(\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and \(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\) and x outside it... insuff

combined.. the above point still remains.. insuff

E


hi! I've just put 2 conditions -

Statement 1 - x < 4

x could = -1 and answer would be yes
or
x = 0 and answer is no

These numbers work for statement 2 as well, thus E.


Is that logic right?



Hi,
you are correct..
if you pick up two numbers in the range , each giving different answers yes and no....
the outcome will be that the statement is not sufficient..
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5883 [0], given: 118

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 15526

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 05:34
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 0

Re: Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0?   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2017, 05:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is 3x^2 - 2 > 0?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.