It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

is 610 good enough for IIM-A/B/C and ISB?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
is 610 good enough for IIM-A/B/C and ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 08:53
Hi Everyone,

I took my exam yesterday and scored a disappointing 610/800. I am contemplating to take the exam again in December but would like to know if my score is good enough to get me into ISB or IIMs. I have extremely strong academic records and plus i have some outstanding achievements during my 5 year work experience. I took part in some extra curricular activities but nothing to boast about. I can manage recommendations from Directors of my current org.

My question is should i apply now or should i take the exam again? In case, if I am not selected for the interview, will I be able to apply again during the same academic cycle?

any suggestion is welcome :)

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

Re: is 610 good enough for IIM-A/B/C and ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 12:42
warriorguy wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I took my exam yesterday and scored a disappointing 610/800. I am contemplating to take the exam again in December but would like to know if my score is good enough to get me into ISB or IIMs. I have extremely strong academic records and plus i have some outstanding achievements during my 5 year work experience. I took part in some extra curricular activities but nothing to boast about. I can manage recommendations from Directors of my current org.

My question is should i apply now or should i take the exam again? In case, if I am not selected for the interview, will I be able to apply again during the same academic cycle?

any suggestion is welcome :)

A lot depends on what your profile says. There are cases where people do get through with a low score, but they are very less in number.
If you want to increase your chances and even strengthen your profile, I would recommend a retake as the schools that you have mentioned are incredibly competitive and you should do anything you can to improve your candidacy.

Coming to your studies:

1. What is your score split in V and Q
2. Did you complete the OG and the Verbal Review?
3. Did you take full length mock CATs?
4. Which course material did you follow?

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.

In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: is 610 good enough for IIM-A/B/C and ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 14:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I am an ISB alum from the CO14 and an active member of the alumni cell helping with admission activities. From my experience of reading through applications and an understanding of the profiles of my classmates, I would like to call upon the fact that the admission committee looks much beyond a GMAT score while evaluating your candidature and considers other elements of your profile including - professional experience, career trajectory, extra curricular activities, leadership experiences, recommendations and most importantly how you portrayed yourself in the essays in terms of your value add to the school and your goals.

Having said that, if you feel you have narrowed down which area of the GMAT paper you need to work on and improve, and also have the bandwidth to prepare (taking into consideration your work load), I will suggest you to go for the exam again and aim at scoring a 650 plus. Anything in excess with a stellar application (essays + recommendations) will put you in a competitive shape for ISB, but for the exec programs at IIM A/B/C you will need to hit a 700 or more.

Please reach out to me at +91-9701215544 in case you have any other specific questions.

Wish you all the very best for your applications.

Cheers
Arijit

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: is 610 good enough for IIM-A/B/C and ISB?   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2016, 14:26

is 610 good enough for IIM-A/B/C and ISB?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap