Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
And there is the SR chipset and LED screen on the new 15" MBP. Which, through the school, I can get at $1700 for the lower spec machine.

I think I am sold.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
3underscore wrote:
And there is the SR chipset and LED screen on the new 15" MBP. Which, through the school, I can get at $1700 for the lower spec machine.

I think I am sold.

Ahh, just when I was talking myself down to the macbook, you had to do this:) Back to my original question: are you pretty comfortable with the size? Do you plan to take notes in class with it?

Quote:
alternately, i saw apple just started a new promo. if you buy a computer using an education discount from them, they will give you a free ipod nano or $200 off a regular ipod..

Yeah, and they also give you a free printer (or $100 off a printer). So with the $1-200 edu discount, the free nano, and the free printer, that's a pretty decent deal.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
By the way, I saw my buddy's lenovo x60 last night. It has a 12" screen (not a widescreen), a full keyboard, and no optical drive (I think you plug in in separately through a usb port). I think it weighs maybe 3 pounds. The sucker is awesome. Almost enough to make me think about getting a windows laptop…
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just got a 15" Macbook Pro and am quite happy with the size & portability. I plan on using it to take notes in class (using OneNote via Parallel's Coherence mode). I previously used a 12" tablet PC and frankly was always a bit unhappy with the lack of screen real estate.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I just got a 15" Macbook Pro and am quite happy with the size & portability. I plan on using it to take notes in class (using OneNote via Parallel's Coherence mode). I previously used a 12" tablet PC and frankly was always a bit unhappy with the lack of screen real estate.

Very interesting. Good to hear that you don't forsee any issues with taking it to class everyday.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of OneNote, and I searched high and low for a similar mac product, but couldn't find anything that looked quite as good. Don't you think it will be a pain to always keep Parallels open? When you run something in Parallels, does it save to only the "PC side", or will it save in your general documents folder?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I doubt I would use a computer in lectures. I am a pen + paper person for notes. I have never been in a business where meetings would be anything other than a pen and paper thing, so I haven't ever learned that approach and doubt I would just for lectures.

I might write them up, but knowing me I would just have a ring-bind hardback book for each course and about ten different colour pens (I have a very refined format for notes on study that I still use).

The 15" is 0.2lb heavier. The fact that it is a little bigger is nothing - once again, little bigger than an A4 binder.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
swgotz wrote:

How about connectivity with Projectors. I heard (atleast some Bootcamp users) had issues with Windows on MAc to work with projectors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also tried to find a native Mac Onenote replacement but nothing came close to the features. Other than the Parallels Desktop icon on the launcher, in Coherence mode it really appears like I'm running OneNote natively in OS X. I bumped up my RAM to 3gb so as of now I'm not seeing any performance issues.

By default documents are saved to the PC side, however if you turn on file sharing, then you can save items to your Documents folder in OS X. I'm pretty sure you could change the default location of your Windows My Documents folder and have everything saved and easily available on the Mac side.

Haven't tried using a projector yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've ordered a 15.4" Widescreen T61 from Lenovo with a 1680×1050 WSXGA+ resolution. Frankly the real estate is a major consideration for me; I want as much place to on the screen as I can. I've worked on Toshiba 12" tablets and I really don't like the tiny screen for excel or for anything else. When deciding I had seen both 14.1" and 15.4" and the weight difference was around .23 kgs. I love the extra width on a 15.4", so went ahead and ordered that one. I think it's still under 6.0 lbs, and I guess I would get used to the extra weight pretty quickly. A nice bagpack should also help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: Is a 15" laptop too big for school? [#permalink]
naturallight wrote:
Hi,
What size laptops is everyone buying for school next year? Are a lot of people going for the 12" no-optical-drive size or the more standard 14" size?

I'm switching to Apple, and I'm torn between the 13" black Macbook and the 15" Macbook Pro. I'm leaning towards the Pro, because it's pretty much the same weight as the Macbook, and I think it's a much better value. And compared to my 14" Compaq, the Pro is only an inch wider in each direction. And hey, what's an inch?

But then part of me thinks it's crazy to try to take notes in class with a 15" computer. Ugh, I wish Apple made a 12" Pro.

We can't say that 15-inch laptop would be "too" big but yes it's big for school and college as you always need to carry it at classes. So, the ideal i.e. not too small and portable laptop size for college is 13-inch. You won't find it's display size as too small and will be easy to carry it at school or college.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is a 15" laptop too big for school? [#permalink]
   1   2