It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is A positive? 1. x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x 2. Ax^2

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 555

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

Is A positive? 1. x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x 2. Ax^2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 04:31
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

Is \(A\) positive?

1. \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is positive for all \(x\)
2. \(Ax^2 + 1\) is positive for all \(x\)

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 463

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 1

Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 07:32
I'd go for A.

S1) A = +1. SUFF.
S2) A(x^2)+1 = POS ==> A(x^2) = POS-1, thus A(x^2) could equal a positive number or zero. A could be any positive number or zero, which is not positive. INSUFF.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 1

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 555

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 10:48
how do u say 1 is suff??

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 177

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 11:41
asdert wrote:
I'd go for A.

S1) A = +1. SUFF.
S2) A(x^2)+1 = POS ==> A(x^2) = POS-1, thus A(x^2) could equal a positive number or zero. A could be any positive number or zero, which is not positive. INSUFF.


lets say X=5, and A=10
then 1) 25-10+10>0
but if x=5, and A=-10
then 25-10-10>10
same is true for A=0
so A is Insufficient

2) A can be either 0, or A>0, also insufficient
IMO both are also insufficient.

what is the OA?

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 463

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 1

Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 12:02
I solved by undisguising the quadratic, but I may be wrong:
\((x-1)(x-1) = x^2-2x+1,\) thus A = 1 = SUFF.

What's the answer?

I hate picking random numbers in problems like this because they don't always work:
\(x^2 - 2x + A\) is positive for all \(x\)

If A = -10, then result must be positive for all X. So what if X is -2?
\((-2)^2 - (-4) + (-10) =\) POSITIVE
\(4 + 4 - 10 =\)NEGATIVE
At least that's what I think.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1792

Kudos [?]: 1058 [0], given: 5

Location: New York
Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 12:33
arjtryarjtry wrote:
Is \(A\) positive?

1. \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is positive for all \(x\)
2. \(Ax^2 + 1\) is positive for all \(x\)



1) x^2 - 2x + A >0

A> -x^2+2x -- true for all values of x.

please note that here A is constant and x is variable..


Find out the possible values of "-x^2+2x"

"-x^2+2x" +ve when X=1 --(1)
"-x^2+2x" -ve when X=3 --(2)

from (1) it is clear that A>+ve so it is positive.
from (2) it is clear that A>-ve so it can positive or negative.

It has to satisfy both equations 1 and 2
A must be positive.

Suffcieint

2)
Ax^2 + 1>0

A> -1/x^2
--> Tells that for all values X A> -ve number.

So A can be +ve or -ve

Insuffcient

A is the Answer.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1058 [0], given: 5

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1402

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 13:04
x2suresh wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
1) x^2 - 2x + A >0

A> -x^2+2x -- true for all values of x.

please note that here A is constant and x is variable..


Find out the possible values of "-x^2+2x"

"-x^2+2x" +ve when X=1 --(1)
"-x^2+2x" -ve when X=3 --(2)


from (1) it is clear that A>+ve so it is positive.
from (2) it is clear that A>-ve so it can positive or negative.

It has to satisfy both equations 1 and 2
A must be positive.

Suffcieint

.


Why does it have to satisfy both equations?

x^2 -2x + A > 0 for all X

x=-1 range of x = { -2, -1 ... infinity} both +ve and -ve

x=-2 range of x = {-7, -6 .. infinity } both -ve and +ve

x= 0 A >0

x=1 A >1

X=2 A>0

X=3 A >-3 again both +ve and -ve

May be is not sufficient

My pick is E

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 162

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2008, 04:31
x2suresh wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
Is \(A\) positive?

1. \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is positive for all \(x\)
2. \(Ax^2 + 1\) is positive for all \(x\)



1) x^2 - 2x + A >0

A> -x^2+2x -- true for all values of x.

please note that here A is constant and x is variable..


Find out the possible values of "-x^2+2x"

"-x^2+2x" +ve when X=1 --(1)
"-x^2+2x" -ve when X=3 --(2)

from (1) it is clear that A>+ve so it is positive.
from (2) it is clear that A>-ve so it can positive or negative.

It has to satisfy both equations 1 and 2
A must be positive.

Suffcieint

2)
Ax^2 + 1>0

A> -1/x^2
--> Tells that for all values X A> -ve number.


So A can be +ve or -ve
Insuffcient

A is the Answer.


i dont think A can be negative
because as soon as A becomes the negative, the parabola will be inverted, and you cannot gurantee that for all values of x, \(Ax^2 + 1\) is positive for all \(x\)[/quote]

but the equation sez other wise.
i am confused !!! :cry: :oops:

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1535

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2008, 05:08
I approached the problem as below.

Stmt 1: x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x. That means this expression should be positive even for x = 0. With x = 0, the expression changes to A. And, if the expression is positive, A must be positive. Hence, sufficient.

Stmt2: Not sufficient. For a positive value as well as negative value of x, the expression can be positive.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1792

Kudos [?]: 1058 [0], given: 5

Location: New York
Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2008, 06:28
sset009 wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
Is \(A\) positive?

1. \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is positive for all \(x\)
2. \(Ax^2 + 1\) is positive for all \(x\)



1) x^2 - 2x + A >0

A> -x^2+2x -- true for all values of x.

please note that here A is constant and x is variable..


Find out the possible values of "-x^2+2x"

"-x^2+2x" +ve when X=1 --(1)
"-x^2+2x" -ve when X=3 --(2)

from (1) it is clear that A>+ve so it is positive.
from (2) it is clear that A>-ve so it can positive or negative.

It has to satisfy both equations 1 and 2
A must be positive.

Suffcieint

2)
Ax^2 + 1>0

A> -1/x^2
--> Tells that for all values X A> -ve number.


So A can be +ve or -ve
Insuffcient

A is the Answer.


i dont think A can be negative
because as soon as A becomes the negative, the parabola will be inverted, and you cannot gurantee that for all values of x, \(Ax^2 + 1\) is positive for all \(x\)


but the equation sez other wise.
i am confused !!! :cry: :oops:[/quote]

Ax^2 + 1>0

A> -1/x^2

say x=1 A>-1 means A can be -1/2 or zero or Any postive value.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1058 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 291

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: A+VE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2008, 11:46
E for me :

1 is not sufficient ;

x^2-2x + A > 0

here imagine that the value of x is +5 , then the equation becomes 25-10 +A ; now if A is -1/+1 OR -2/+2 etc doesnt make any diff. as the answer will always be
+ve ; same is the case if you take x=-5 .

2 is obv not sufficient as many people have agreed

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: A+VE   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2008, 11:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is A positive? 1. x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x 2. Ax^2

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.