GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Waiting for Decisions
Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 41
Location: India
Sahil: Bansal
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2013, 21:50
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rongali wrote:
Is A positive?

1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X
2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

given answer as A...but i thought it should be E..
source: hard problems from gmatclub tests number properties I


1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X

For all values of X,\(X^2-2X+A > 0\)
This means, for X = 0, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = 1, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = -2, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\) etc etc etc

Let's put X = 0. \(0^2-2*0+A > 0\) should hold. Therefore, A > 0 should hold.
Sufficient.

2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

For all X, \(AX^2 + 1 > 0\)
Here, A could be positive or A could be 0 (since, when A = 0, we get 1 > 0 which holds no matter what the value of X.)
Since A can be 0, we cannot say whether A is positive. Not Sufficient.

Answer A



Hi Karishma,

For option A, i took, X=10

then for x^2-2x+A>0, A can be positive , negative or eve zero.

100-20+A>0


how could you decide if A is positive??
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8102
Location: Pune, India
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2013, 21:57
bsahil wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rongali wrote:
Is A positive?

1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X
2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

given answer as A...but i thought it should be E..
source: hard problems from gmatclub tests number properties I


1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X

For all values of X,\(X^2-2X+A > 0\)
This means, for X = 0, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = 1, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = -2, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\) etc etc etc

Let's put X = 0. \(0^2-2*0+A > 0\) should hold. Therefore, A > 0 should hold.
Sufficient.

2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

For all X, \(AX^2 + 1 > 0\)
Here, A could be positive or A could be 0 (since, when A = 0, we get 1 > 0 which holds no matter what the value of X.)
Since A can be 0, we cannot say whether A is positive. Not Sufficient.

Answer A



Hi Karishma,

For option A, i took, X=10

then for x^2-2x+A>0, A can be positive , negative or eve zero.

100-20+A>0


how could you decide if A is positive??


X = 10 is fine but it doesn't help. We know that this inequality holds for all x. We need to plug in a value for x which tells us something about A. If we put x = 0, we are left with just A and that will tell us something about A. Just plugging in any value may not work; you have to look for a smart value.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Waiting for Decisions
Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 41
Location: India
Sahil: Bansal
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2013, 23:23
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

X = 10 is fine but it doesn't help. We know that this inequality holds for all x. We need to plug in a value for x which tells us something about A. If we put x = 0, we are left with just A and that will tell us something about A. Just plugging in any value may not work; you have to look for a smart value.


So for this question, no other value of x(except x=0,2) gives us any information about A. hence we take only that value which gives us explicit and fixed result for A. Am I correct??
Similarly we would do in other similar questions as well...??
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8102
Location: Pune, India
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2013, 23:39
bsahil wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

X = 10 is fine but it doesn't help. We know that this inequality holds for all x. We need to plug in a value for x which tells us something about A. If we put x = 0, we are left with just A and that will tell us something about A. Just plugging in any value may not work; you have to look for a smart value.


So for this question, no other value of x(except x=0,2) gives us any information about A. hence we take only that value which gives us explicit and fixed result for A. Am I correct??
Similarly we would do in other similar questions as well...??


No, look, we know that \(x^2 - 2x + A > 0\) for all x. For every value of x, this inequality should be satisfied.

Put x = 0, you get A > 0
Put x = 1, you get \(1 - 2 + A > 0 i.e. A > 1\)
Put x = 10, you get A > -80

Now the point is that A should take a value such that all these conditions are satisfied. Say A can be 5. If A is 5, it is > 0, > 1 and > -80.

When I look at \(x^2 - 2x + A > 0\) given x can take any value, the first value that pops in my head to get a sense of A is x = 0. That provides exactly what I need. Had the question been whether A > 2, x = 0 would not have helped. I would have had to search a little for a pattern to see how the value of x changes. This question is made in a way that x = 0 helps immediately. Anyway, it is a good idea to try the value 0 in many circumstances. It simplifies things immensely and usually helps you eliminate a couple of options at least.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 1
GMAT Date: 11-07-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Health Care)
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2013, 21:24
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rongali wrote:
Is A positive?

1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X
2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

given answer as A...but i thought it should be E..
source: hard problems from gmatclub tests number properties I


1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X

For all values of X,\(X^2-2X+A > 0\)
This means, for X = 0, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = 1, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = -2, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\) etc etc etc

Let's put X = 0. \(0^2-2*0+A > 0\) should hold. Therefore, A > 0 should hold.
Sufficient.

2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

For all X, \(AX^2 + 1 > 0\)
Here, A could be positive or A could be 0 (since, when A = 0, we get 1 > 0 which holds no matter what the value of X.)
Since A can be 0, we cannot say whether A is positive. Not Sufficient.

Answer A



if we put x=-3 in 1, then A can have -1 or -2 value also ??
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8102
Location: Pune, India
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2013, 21:56
1
ratanpandit wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rongali wrote:
Is A positive?

1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X
2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

given answer as A...but i thought it should be E..
source: hard problems from gmatclub tests number properties I


1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X

For all values of X,\(X^2-2X+A > 0\)
This means, for X = 0, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = 1, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = -2, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\) etc etc etc

Let's put X = 0. \(0^2-2*0+A > 0\) should hold. Therefore, A > 0 should hold.
Sufficient.

2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

For all X, \(AX^2 + 1 > 0\)
Here, A could be positive or A could be 0 (since, when A = 0, we get 1 > 0 which holds no matter what the value of X.)
Since A can be 0, we cannot say whether A is positive. Not Sufficient.

Answer A



if we put x=-3 in 1, then A can have -1 or -2 value also ??


No, A can never have a value of -1 or -2. It must be greater than 1.
If we put x = -3, we get
X^2-2X+A > 0
A > -15
So this tells us that A must be greater than -15. Putting other values of x such as 0, 1, 2 etc tell us that A must be greater than 0 and A must be greater than 1 etc. Since this inequality holds for ALL values of x, A must be greater than 1 because a value greater than 1 will automatically be greater than -15 as well as 0. If we take a value of A such as -14, it will be greater than -15 but not greater than 0 or 1 hence the inequality will not hold for ALL value of x.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2643
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 06:50
samichange wrote:


Hi Bunnel

How do we solve (2) using the discriminant method?

thanks


I have a different take as to why statement 2 is not sufficient

y = -2x^1+1 will give you y >0 (=0.5) for x = 0.5. Thus Bunuel 's explanation that A\(\geq\) 0 for y>0 for all x is not the complete explanation, IMHO.

Additionally, for A\(\geq\)0, y >0 for all x>0. Thus you get 2 different answers for "is A>0" based on these 2 cases and hence statement 2 is not sufficient.

samichange, using the discriminant method is not the best method for this statement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 317
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 07:03
Engr2012 wrote:
samichange wrote:


Hi Bunnel

How do we solve (2) using the discriminant method?

thanks


I have a different take as to why statement 2 is not sufficient

y = -2x^1+1 will give you y >0 (=0.5) for x = 0.5. Thus Bunuel 's explanation that A\(\geq\) 0 for y>0 for all x is not the complete explanation, IMHO.

Additionally, for A\(\geq\)0, y >0 for all x>0. Thus you get 2 different answers for "is A>0" based on these 2 cases and hence statement 2 is not sufficient.

samichange, using the discriminant method is not the best method for this statement.


Hi

Thanks for your analysis but what I understood is the following-

Consider x =0 and then whatever be the value of a ( + , - or 0 ), it does not matter because y = 0 + 1 ---> y > 0 and hence B is insufficient as a can assume any value.
_________________

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2643
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 07:07
1
samichange wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
samichange wrote:


Hi Bunnel

How do we solve (2) using the discriminant method?

thanks


I have a different take as to why statement 2 is not sufficient

y = -2x^1+1 will give you y >0 (=0.5) for x = 0.5. Thus Bunuel 's explanation that A\(\geq\) 0 for y>0 for all x is not the complete explanation, IMHO.

Additionally, for A\(\geq\)0, y >0 for all x>0. Thus you get 2 different answers for "is A>0" based on these 2 cases and hence statement 2 is not sufficient.

samichange, using the discriminant method is not the best method for this statement.


Hi

Thanks for your analysis but what I understood is the following-

Consider x =0 and then whatever be the value of a ( + , - or 0 ), it does not matter because y = 0 + 1 ---> y > 0 and hence B is insufficient as a can assume any value.


Yes, you are correct about your explanation of why B is not sufficient and why discriminant method is not the wisest choice for this statement. Statement 1 was straightforward with the discriminant method as it would have remained a quadratic equation no matter what the value of A was but statement 2 will give an equation of a line if A = 0.
Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 5600
GMAT 1: 800 Q59 V59
GPA: 3.82
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 07:04
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

Is A positive?

(1) x^2-2x+A is positive for all x
(2) Ax^2+1 is positive for all x

There is one variable (A) and 2 equations are given by the conditions, so there is high chance (D) will become the answer.
For condition 1, from y=ax^2+bx+c, if D(discriminant)=b^2-4ac<0, y>0 works for all a>0.
From y=x^2-2x+A, D=(-2)^2-4*1*A<0, 4<4A, 1<A, which answers the question 'yes', makes the condition sufficient.
condition 2 answers the question 'yes' for A=1, but 'no' for A=0, making the condition insufficient.
The answer therefore becomes (A).

For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Since D is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5938
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 07:11
noboru wrote:
Is A positive?

(1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x
(2) Ax^2 + 1 is positive for all x


1)\(x^2-2x+A\) is positive for all x
This becomes x^2-2x+A>0
Most if the above solutions talk of Quadratic equation but equation are of form ax^2-2x+A=0 and it is easy to get confused in discriminant etc..
So a simplified way of looking at this..
\(x^2-2x+A>0\) for all values of x....
So least value of (x^2-2x)+A>0

So what is least value ...
It is at x=1, x^2-2x=1^2-1*2=-1
So -1+A>0...A>1
Hence sufficient..
2) Ax^2+1>0
Ax^2>-1...
x^2 is always positive for all values so A can take both negative and positive values..
Insufficient

A
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html


GMAT online Tutor

Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2018, 07:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.