GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1192
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Apr 2018, 01:57
15
66
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:36) correct 68% (03:21) wrong based on 1157 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is A positive?

(1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x
(2) Ax^2 + 1 is positive for all x

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Originally posted by noboru on 15 Jul 2010, 12:42.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Apr 2018, 01:57, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 14:40
20
15
noboru wrote:
Is A positive?

x^2-2x+A is positive for all x
Ax^2+1 is positive for all x


OA is A


Is \(A>0\)?

(1) \(x^2-2x+A\) is positive for all \(x\):

Quadratic expression \(x^2-2x+A\) is a function of of upward parabola (it's upward as coefficient of \(x^2\) is positive). We are told that this expression is positive for all \(x\) --> \(x^2-2x+A>0\), which means that this parabola is "above" X-axis OR in other words parabola has no intersections with X-axis OR equation \(x^2-2x+A=0\) has no real roots.

Quadratic equation to has no real roots discriminant must be negative --> \(D=2^2-4A=4-4A<0\) --> \(1-A<0\) --> \(A>1\).

Sufficient.

(2) \(Ax^2+1\) is positive for all \(x\):

\(Ax^2+1>0\) --> when \(A\geq0\) this expression is positive for all \(x\). So \(A\) can be zero too.

Not sufficient.

Answer: A.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 50
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 05:21
1
Hi,

I dont get it sorry... I mean I understand your equations Bunuel, but I tried first with picking numbers:

If I pick -0.5 for x --> x^2-2x+A>0 will hold for A > -1.25

...

Where is my mistake??
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 08:01
17
5
AndreG wrote:
Hi,

I dont get it sorry... I mean I understand your equations Bunuel, but I tried first with picking numbers:

If I pick -0.5 for x --> x^2-2x+A>0 will hold for A > -1.25

...

Where is my mistake??


The point here is that \(x^2-2x+A>0\) for all \(x-es\).

Let's do this in another way:

We have \((x^2-2x)+A>0\) for all \(x-es\). The sum of 2 quantities (\(x^2-2x\) and \(A\)) is positive for all \(x-es\). So for the least value of \(x^2-2x\), \(A\) must make the whole expression positive.

So what is the least value of \(x^2-2x\)? The least value of quadratic expression \(ax^2+bx+c\) is when \(x=-\frac{b}{2a}\), so in our case the least value of \(x^2-2x\) is when \(x=-\frac{-2}{2}=1\) --> \(x^2-2x=-1\) --> \(-1+A>0\) --> \(A>1\).

OR:

\(x^2-2x+A>0\) --> \(x^2-2x+1+A-1>0\) --> \((x-1)^2+A-1>0\) --> least value of \((x-1)^2\) is zero thus \(A-1\) must be positive (\(0+A-1>0\))--> \(A-1>0\) --> \(A>1\).

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 50
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 08:26
Wow u rock man! :-)
That was very clear!

I especially like the +1 -1 trick

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 281
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 09:36
1
Hi Bunuel,

I really liked approached here but I still have some confusion,

Say for e.g if try to pick the numbers say x = -3

Then the equation in the first statement becomes

\(x^2 - 2x + A = 9 +6 +A = 15 + A >0\)

So now if we see A can have -ve and +ve values, isnt it ?

I am confused with this.

Please explain, whats wrong with this one.

Cheers
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 09:49
nitishmahajan wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I really liked approached here but I still have some confusion,

Say for e.g if try to pick the numbers say x = -3

Then the equation in the first statement becomes

\(x^2 - 2x + A = 9 +6 +A = 15 + A >0\)

So now if we see A can have -ve and +ve values, isnt it ?

I am confused with this.

Please explain, whats wrong with this one.

Cheers


Not every question can be solved by number picking.

For all \(x-es\) means that no matter what \(x\) you pick \(x^2 - 2x + A\) must be positive. So it must be positive even for the lowest value of \(x^2 - 2x\) which is -1 --> so \(-1+A\) must be positive hence A must be more than 1.

Now again: if A>1 then for any \(x\) expression \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is positive.

But if A=-15 (or any other number less than 1) we can find some \(x-es\) for which expression \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is not positive, so theese values of A (values of \(A\leq{1}\)) are not valid.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 281
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 09:56
Bunuel wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I really liked approached here but I still have some confusion,

Say for e.g if try to pick the numbers say x = -3

Then the equation in the first statement becomes

\(x^2 - 2x + A = 9 +6 +A = 15 + A >0\)

So now if we see A can have -ve and +ve values, isnt it ?

I am confused with this.

Please explain, whats wrong with this one.

Cheers


Not every question can be solved by number picking.

For all \(x-es\) means that no matter what \(x\) you pick \(x^2 - 2x + A\) must be positive. So it must be positive even for the lowest value of \(x^2 - 2x\) which is -1 --> so \(-1+A\) must be positive hence A must be more than 1.

Now again: if A>1 then for any \(x\) expression \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is positive.

But if A=-15 (or any other number less than 1) we can find some \(x-es\) for which expression \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is not positive, so theese values of A (values of \(A\leq{1}\)) are not valid.

Hope it's clear.


Thanks for the reply Bunuel,

I understood the approach but the fact which is baffling me is that say the equation after subsituting value of x=-3 i.e 15+ A > 0 now we can have a value of A=-3 or may be -4 etc and still have the value of the equation in statement 1 as +ve

Am I thinking too much or just lacking some thing basic concept.

I appreciate your patience. :)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 10:16
1
1
nitishmahajan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I really liked approached here but I still have some confusion,

Say for e.g if try to pick the numbers say x = -3

Then the equation in the first statement becomes

\(x^2 - 2x + A = 9 +6 +A = 15 + A >0\)

So now if we see A can have -ve and +ve values, isnt it ?

I am confused with this.

Please explain, whats wrong with this one.

Cheers


Not every question can be solved by number picking.

For all \(x-es\) means that no matter what \(x\) you pick \(x^2 - 2x + A\) must be positive. So it must be positive even for the lowest value of \(x^2 - 2x\) which is -1 --> so \(-1+A\) must be positive hence A must be more than 1.

Now again: if A>1 then for any \(x\) expression \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is positive.

But if A=-15 (or any other number less than 1) we can find some \(x-es\) for which expression \(x^2 - 2x + A\) is not positive, so theese values of A (values of \(A\leq{1}\)) are not valid.

Hope it's clear.


Thanks for the reply Bunuel,

I understood the approach but the fact which is baffling me is that say the equation after subsituting value of x=-3 i.e 15+ A > 0 now we can have a value of A=-3 or may be -4 etc and still have the value of the equation in statement 1 as +ve

Am I thinking too much or just lacking some thing basic concept.

I appreciate your patience. :)


I think you just don't understand one thing in statement (1): \(x^2-2x+A>0\) FOR ALL \(x-es\).

You say that if \(x=-3\) then \(A\) can be for example -10 (or any number more than -15) and \(x^2-2x+A\) will be positive, \(but\) if \(x=1\) does \(A=-10\) makes \(x^2-2x+A\) positive? NO!

So you should find such value of \(A\) (such range) for which \(x^2-2x+A\) is positive no matter what value of \(x\) you'll plug. And the way how to find this range is shown in my previous posts.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8288
Location: Pune, India
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2012, 10:42
2
2
rongali wrote:
Is A positive?

1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X
2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

given answer as A...but i thought it should be E..
source: hard problems from gmatclub tests number properties I


1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X

For all values of X,\(X^2-2X+A > 0\)
This means, for X = 0, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = 1, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = -2, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\) etc etc etc

Let's put X = 0. \(0^2-2*0+A > 0\) should hold. Therefore, A > 0 should hold.
Sufficient.

2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

For all X, \(AX^2 + 1 > 0\)
Here, A could be positive or A could be 0 (since, when A = 0, we get 1 > 0 which holds no matter what the value of X.)
Since A can be 0, we cannot say whether A is positive. Not Sufficient.

Answer A
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 37
Location: Sydney
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2012, 03:55
Bunuel wrote:
noboru wrote:
Is A positive?

x^2-2x+A is positive for all x
Ax^2+1 is positive for all x


OA is A


(2) \(Ax^2+1\) is positive for all \(x\):

\(Ax^2+1>0\) --> when \(A\geq0\) this expression is positive for all \(x\). So \(A\) can be zero too.

Not sufficient.

Answer: A.


Why didn't you use the discriminant formula to assess statement 2?

I tried the discriminant rule and got a>0. I had 0-4a<0 which turns to a>0.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Diana
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2012, 03:59
dianamao wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
noboru wrote:
Is A positive?

x^2-2x+A is positive for all x
Ax^2+1 is positive for all x


OA is A


(2) \(Ax^2+1\) is positive for all \(x\):

\(Ax^2+1>0\) --> when \(A\geq0\) this expression is positive for all \(x\). So \(A\) can be zero too.

Not sufficient.

Answer: A.


Why didn't you use the discriminant formula to assess statement 2?

I tried the discriminant rule and got a>0. I had 0-4a<0 which turns to a>0.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Diana


You are right: if we use the same approach for (2) then we'll get A>0 BUT if A=0 then Ax^2+1 won't be a quadratic function anymore. So this approach will work only if A doesn't equal to zero, but we can not eliminate this case and if A=0 then Ax^2+1=1 is also always positive. Hence Ax^2+1 is positive for A>0 (if we use quadratic function approach) as well as for A=0, so for \(A\geq0\).

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 32
Location: United States
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2012, 16:51
best way to deal this problem is to bet on A more than X..
it wud b yes if A>0 Or No ,if A<0 ....
then first assume A>0 , then check whether statement 1 & 2 is true or not for all value of X....
then assume A<0 ,then check whether statement 1 & 2 is true or not for all value of X....
_________________

KUMAR GAURAB
GET MAD ABOUT TEST

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 281
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2013, 00:51
Bunuel wrote:
Quadratic expression \(x^2-2x+A\) is a function of of upward parabola (it's upward as coefficient of \(x^2\) is positive). We are told that this expression is positive for all \(x\) --> \(x^2-2x+A>0\), which means that this parabola is "above" X-axis OR in other words parabola has no intersections with X-axis OR equation \(x^2-2x+A=0\) has no real roots.



Hi Bunuel,
How did you infer that the parabola would be above X axis by looking at the equation?? Pls explain.
Regards,
H
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2013, 04:30
imhimanshu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Quadratic expression \(x^2-2x+A\) is a function of of upward parabola (it's upward as coefficient of \(x^2\) is positive). We are told that this expression is positive for all \(x\) --> \(x^2-2x+A>0\), which means that this parabola is "above" X-axis OR in other words parabola has no intersections with X-axis OR equation \(x^2-2x+A=0\) has no real roots.



Hi Bunuel,
How did you infer that the parabola would be above X axis by looking at the equation?? Pls explain.
Regards,
H


We have \(x^2-2x+A>0\) and told that this expression is positive for all x, which means that the parabola is above X-axis (otherwise it wouldn't be positive for all x).
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8288
Location: Pune, India
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2013, 20:44
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rongali wrote:
Is A positive?

1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X
2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

given answer as A...but i thought it should be E..
source: hard problems from gmatclub tests number properties I


1) X^2-2X+A is positive for all X

For all values of X,\(X^2-2X+A > 0\)
This means, for X = 0, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = 1, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\); for X = -2, \(X^2-2X+A > 0\) etc etc etc

Let's put X = 0. \(0^2-2*0+A > 0\) should hold. Therefore, A > 0 should hold.
Sufficient.

2) AX^2 + 1 is positive for all X

For all X, \(AX^2 + 1 > 0\)
Here, A could be positive or A could be 0 (since, when A = 0, we get 1 > 0 which holds no matter what the value of X.)
Since A can be 0, we cannot say whether A is positive. Not Sufficient.

Answer A

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
I still did not understand your solution :(

x^2-2x+A>0
if we take the value 3 for example ,
9-6+A>0
3+A>0
which gives
A>(-)3
so A can assume -2,-1,0 and so on and we still get the overall value as +ve.
Can you help me understand what i am missing ?


Given that x^2-2x+A is always positive. No matter what the value of x, the value of A is such that this expression is always positive.
Whether x = ...-2, 0, 1, 4, 100..., the expression will always be positive.
So let's put a few values of x.

Put x = -2
(-2)^2-2(-2)+A > 0
A > -8

Put x = 0
0^2 - 2*0 + A > 0
A > 0

Put x = 1
1^2 - 2*1 + A > 0
A > 1

Put x = 3
3^2 - 2*3 + A > 0
A > -3

and so on...
So we see that A must be greater than -8, it should also be greater than -3, it should also be greater than 0 and it should also be greater than 1. So what values do you think A can take? Values which are greater than all these values i.e. values like 8, 10 etc. In any case, we are asked whether A is positive and we know that it must be greater than 1. Hence, we know that A must be positive. Sufficient.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 04:46
Dear Brunel

Please explain last line ....

We have (x^2-2x)+A>0 for all x-es. The sum of 2 quantities (x^2-2x and A) is positive for all x-es. So for the least value of x^2-2x, A must make the whole expression positive.

So what is the least value of x^2-2x? The least value of quadratic expression ax^2+bx+c is when x=-\frac{b}{2a}, so in our case the least value of x^2-2x is when x=-\frac{-2}{2}=1 --> x^2-2x=-1 --> -1+A>0 --> A>1. ....Want to know how +1 changes to -1 .....please explain
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 04:56
archit wrote:
Dear Brunel

Please explain last line ....

We have (x^2-2x)+A>0 for all x-es. The sum of 2 quantities (x^2-2x and A) is positive for all x-es. So for the least value of x^2-2x, A must make the whole expression positive.

So what is the least value of x^2-2x? The least value of quadratic expression ax^2+bx+c is when x=-\frac{b}{2a}, so in our case the least value of x^2-2x is when x=-\frac{-2}{2}=1 --> x^2-2x=-1 --> -1+A>0 --> A>1. ....Want to know how +1 changes to -1 .....please explain


You mean to know how we get A>1 from -1+A>0?

Add 1 to both sides of -1+A>0 --> A>1.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 11 Sep 2013
Posts: 162
Concentration: Finance, Finance
CAT Tests
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2013, 15:00
there are many hard data sufficiency questions? To get over 700 in GMAT at least how many hard data sufficiency questions do we have to answer? I have a lot of problems with hard and tricky DS questions. I always go close to the answer but finally make mistake in hard DS by not noticing one or two things. Can anyone help me please?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8288
Location: Pune, India
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2013, 21:31
Raihanuddin wrote:
there are many hard data sufficiency questions? To get over 700 in GMAT at least how many hard data sufficiency questions do we have to answer? I have a lot of problems with hard and tricky DS questions. I always go close to the answer but finally make mistake in hard DS by not noticing one or two things. Can anyone help me please?


Half or more than half of the Quant section consists of DS questions. To get over 700, you need to be able to handle 700 level questions of DS as well. DS questions have a lot of traps and it pays to be aware of them. You can check out the Veritas DS book. It has excellent discussions on DS traps, common error areas and strategies. It's a must have if you are facing problems in DS but are relatively comfortable in PS because then you have DS format issues and need a book which addresses those specifically.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1 &nbs [#permalink] 22 Oct 2013, 21:31

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 32 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is A positive? (1) x^2 - 2x + A is positive for all x (2) Ax^2 + 1

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.