Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 20:07 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 20:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Is getting an MBA worth it? [#permalink]
refurb wrote:
However, I have a very specific background and future goals. I was on the R&D side and moved to the commercial side. I moved from a job with diminishing future prospects to an area with huge opportunities.
RF

refurb,

What industry were you doing R&D in? Just curious. I'm in life sciences, trying to move to the commercial side as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I agree. I don't feel it is completely necessary to get an MBA. It is definitely helpful if you want to apply for certain jobs and get more pay. But it is not necessary.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I definitely believe that obtaining an MBA is worth it. An MBA can help you add value to yourself to be more marketable in the job market, and also the classes offered for it can also stimulate one intellectually. In addition you can also gain some knowledge in various aspects of business, especially some possible new ways of running our business if you are an entrepreneur or a manager of a department in an organisation. Also, you can also meet other professionals, who will be part of your personal network,and this could be very beneficial in the future.

Although an MBA may be expensive to pursue, I personally believe that the benefits outweigh the demerits.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
For MBA is a chance to get out of a very closed, narrow and shrinking industry into something wider and healthier. I am not after Mc/IB/PE or whatever other 'sexy' mba jobs, no! Just back to open-field industry jobs.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
n03 wrote:
refurb wrote:
However, I have a very specific background and future goals. I was on the R&D side and moved to the commercial side. I moved from a job with diminishing future prospects to an area with huge opportunities.
RF

refurb,

What industry were you doing R&D in? Just curious. I'm in life sciences, trying to move to the commercial side as well.

Pharmaceuticals.

RF
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
refurb wrote:
n03 wrote:
refurb wrote:
RF

refurb,

Pharmaceuticals.

RF

not to sound like an ass, but you think pharmaceuticals is diminishing future prospect?!

damn, i'd like to know what you're doing these days with your MBA then!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
If not yet, then pharmaceuticals could be a diminishing future prospect. The big companies' product pipelines aren't brimming with new potential drugs. It's getting tougher to find new drugs. Meanwhile, the patents are expiring on many companies' existing drugs.

For now, however, I believe the pharma industry still pays excellent salaries ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
I'm in the pharma industry as well and looking to move from R&D to strategy. I think what RF was referring to was his perception of diminishing prospects in the R&D side of Pharma and I partly agree with that. A lot of big companies are now either outsourcing R&D to Asia or to universities and contract research organizations within the States. I have seen this first-hand and this is one reason I'm changing courses.

The Pharma industry as a whole does have a healthy future (pun intended!) IMHO, especially with Obamacare in the horizon. While it may be getting harder and harder to discover those blockbuster $1B+ drugs, there are untold number of under-served disease conditions still out there. Besides, the generics industry is exploding as someone else mentioned.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
this is not like MBA is not useful yes its useful but u need to make a strong career in MBA to make it successful..
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
94619 posts
GMAT Tutor
1895 posts