GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 05:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is IIMA PGPX the right course for me? Need some pointers please!

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-05-2014
Is IIMA PGPX the right course for me? Need some pointers please! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 11:38
A little history: Believe it or not - Various reasons had kept me postponing my GMAT & MBA aspirations since 2009. I was 26years back then.
Family thought they were better off be saving money for my marriage than wasting it on a MBA. So I got married and then had a kid; Two years passed by so quick. I also worked in parallel. I could not even think of MBA until Oct 2016 because there were some financial commitments on my salary. My husband is a Business man so I am everything my kid could depend on for everything.

Now that things seem very positive, I believe I can stay away from the family for a year and pursue whatever I wanted.

A brief summary of my profile:

Years of Experience in IT: Working since 2004. That is 13 years by Dec 2017
Current Designation: Software Quality Manager with 15 - 17L a year package

Educational Background:
I have been a continuous learner to keep myself updated. I have a passion for learning new things.
3 years BSc in Mathematics from Local College - Full time - 77%
4 years MS in Software Engineering from BITS - Work Integrated Program - 7.45/10
2 years PGDIT from Symbiosis Center for Distance Learning 70%
2 years MTech in Quality Management from BITS Work Integrated Program - 8.2/10

I also have these active Industry Certifications:
- Project Management Professional from PMI
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt from KPMG
- Certified Test Manager from ISTQB
- Planning for Agile Certified Practitioner from PMI

I am now considering to do IIMA PGPX Course. One may ask why? Leaving out all the obvious benefits - branding, recognition, better opportunities, I want to be a full time student again. All the distance and work life integrated programs did teach me something that I did not know but it did not give me the fulfillment of a true learning experience. What I know today are mostly based on my curiosity, online research and wanting to know how or why is done in a specified way. The PGDIT course I did is almost waste of time. I must not have done it. It was just reading through books and attending a multiple choice questions exam online. The other courses were decent.

What I am looking for from a full time MBA is not just theories but learn something new that comes out of the teacher's experience and not by reading some definitions or theories. I value definitions and I know the basics are there but I have read enough of it in the past so adding experiences would help me a lot. Be able network with like minded people who have been in the Industry for sometime too. Be able to horn my management skills and prepare myself for a CSuite designation whenever that opportunity comes. I am not saying a PGPX will get me a C-Suite job but Growth is inevitable in IT career. So whenever I am tasked to do that role, I know for certain I am prepared for it - at-least have my foundations right. I can learn the rest later through experience.

My questions:
1. With this profile, is IIMA PGPX the only course I can apply for?
2. If not, what are the alternatives?
3. What is it like to be a PGPX student? Anyone currently studying or lately studied there? Please give me some insights on what they do they teach?
4. Is it the same Management Definition, leadership styles, Evolution theories - F.W.Taylor, Henri Fayol, Max Weber , Elton Mayo?
5. Does anyone here even think I should not consider quitting the job for PGPX at all or that it is a wasted effort because I am too old for it?

Kindly throw some insights. I am so confused right now. I just wish the +ve situation I am in right now was say 8 years ago. Time is such a b****.

PS: Please move this thread to the correct section of the forum, if I have written it under a wrong one.
Manager
Manager
D
CAT Tests
Re: Is IIMA PGPX the right course for me? Need some pointers please! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 21:40
flower07 wrote:
A little history: Believe it or not - Various reasons had kept me postponing my GMAT & MBA aspirations since 2009. I was 26years back then.
Family thought they were better off be saving money for my marriage than wasting it on a MBA. So I got married and then had a kid; Two years passed by so quick. I also worked in parallel. I could not even think of MBA until Oct 2016 because there were some financial commitments on my salary. My husband is a Business man so I am everything my kid could depend on for everything.

Now that things seem very positive, I believe I can stay away from the family for a year and pursue whatever I wanted.

A brief summary of my profile:

Years of Experience in IT: Working since 2004. That is 13 years by Dec 2017
Current Designation: Software Quality Manager with 15 - 17L a year package

Educational Background:
I have been a continuous learner to keep myself updated. I have a passion for learning new things.
3 years BSc in Mathematics from Local College - Full time - 77%
4 years MS in Software Engineering from BITS - Work Integrated Program - 7.45/10
2 years PGDIT from Symbiosis Center for Distance Learning 70%
2 years MTech in Quality Management from BITS Work Integrated Program - 8.2/10

I also have these active Industry Certifications:
- Project Management Professional from PMI
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt from KPMG
- Certified Test Manager from ISTQB
- Planning for Agile Certified Practitioner from PMI

I am now considering to do IIMA PGPX Course. One may ask why? Leaving out all the obvious benefits - branding, recognition, better opportunities, I want to be a full time student again. All the distance and work life integrated programs did teach me something that I did not know but it did not give me the fulfillment of a true learning experience. What I know today are mostly based on my curiosity, online research and wanting to know how or why is done in a specified way. The PGDIT course I did is almost waste of time. I must not have done it. It was just reading through books and attending a multiple choice questions exam online. The other courses were decent.

What I am looking for from a full time MBA is not just theories but learn something new that comes out of the teacher's experience and not by reading some definitions or theories. I value definitions and I know the basics are there but I have read enough of it in the past so adding experiences would help me a lot. Be able network with like minded people who have been in the Industry for sometime too. Be able to horn my management skills and prepare myself for a CSuite designation whenever that opportunity comes. I am not saying a PGPX will get me a C-Suite job but Growth is inevitable in IT career. So whenever I am tasked to do that role, I know for certain I am prepared for it - at-least have my foundations right. I can learn the rest later through experience.

My questions:
3. What is it like to be a PGPX student? Anyone currently studying or lately studied there? Please give me some insights on what they do they teach?
4. Is it the same Management Definition, leadership styles, Evolution theories - F.W.Taylor, Henri Fayol, Max Weber , Elton Mayo?
5. Does anyone here even think I should not consider quitting the job for PGPX at all or that it is a wasted effort because I am too old for it?

Kindly throw some insights. I am so confused right now. I just wish the +ve situation I am in right now was say 8 years ago. Time is such a b****.

PS: Please move this thread to the correct section of the forum, if I have written it under a wrong one.

Hi flower07,

Quote:
that it is a wasted effort because I am too old for it?

Your age is perfect for doing PGPX program.

Average Age for IIMA PGPX is approximately 33 years.

For more detail check:
all-batch-comparative-stats

Thanks.
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Re: Is IIMA PGPX the right course for me? Need some pointers please! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 07:49
flower07 wrote:
A little history:

My questions:

Hi Flower,

First of all, it was a delight to read that you are a woman(with a baby), planning an MBA! All the best in your endeavors!

To answer your questions:
1. You can apply to all the IIM exec education courses- all are full time residential courses.
2. ISB in India
3.I'd suggest you reach out to current students and recent alumni through LinkedIn.
4. I understand you saying that theory taught in class will be the same everywhere, right? - yes, but the MBA experience is largely based on peer to peer learning, which will be unparalleled.
5. I am a stickler for an MBA education- so I do not think its a waste of time or effort- it will widen your learning/ give you a new network and open up several opportunities for you. Go for it!

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 06:53
Posted from my mobile device
Re: Is IIMA PGPX the right course for me? Need some pointers please!   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2018, 06:53

Is IIMA PGPX the right course for me? Need some pointers please!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap