GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 09:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is it bad that I am so slow?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Is it bad that I am so slow?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 00:20
Hello guys!

I am currently prepping "serious" (before I just stumbled through the Manhattan Books every other day) for the GMAT since around 1 1/2 weeks.
My background is a University studies in Economics / Business, I will finish it next year with my BsC.

In Uni I am one of the top performers, have great grades and (I am not American though, just what the calculators say) ~3.9 GPA

With the GMAT though I have to say that some problems make me struggle really hard at the moment and sometimes make me depressed.

For example this morning I wanted to solve some Quant Questions and one of them was a "machine / rate / output per hour" text-problem which I could not solve. I then looked the question up at gmatclub and saw that it was rated as easy .. which immediately made me think that I am just too dumb to achieve a 700+ if I don't even get these questions right.

*short mental breakdown* :cry:

As soon as I got myself together again I reviewed the questions and looked up a few different and now that I understood the rate / time relation I solved them fairly easy.

The main problem right now for me is the time -> the next quant question I took was a similar problem just a bit trickier and this time they wanted to know "how many machines ..." instead of "ouput per hour ..."

So I sat there and thought quite some time (think like 5-7 minutes I dunno) to come up with a suitable solution, I had the eureka moment at the end and came to the right solution but it frustrated me again because the solution was basically very simple and it took me that long to arrive there.

Have you guys immediately solved questions WITH time aspect or did you give yourself some weeks of just plain understanding / solving without time constraints before really pushing it under time pressure?
I am not sure which approach I should follow.

This might seem like I don't really have a plan but well I do, I have an error log, write everything down, have a time schedule and am pretty organized. I just have those breakdowns here and there where I am seriously questioning my competence.

It's also very hard for me to push in much hours, in Uni I can learn 8-9 hours during finals / exam phase, with the GMAT I did ~6 hours yesterday and after 3-4 hours it wasn't just possible to solve harder problems anymore.. So I used that time working on a spreadsheet and a cleaner error log.

Thank you guys for any input
Manager
G
CAT Tests
Is it bad that I am so slow?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 00:27
chrtpmdr wrote:
Hello guys!

I am currently prepping "serious" (before I just stumbled through the Manhattan Books every other day) for the GMAT since around 1 1/2 weeks.
My background is a University studies in Economics / Business, I will finish it next year with my BsC.

In Uni I am one of the top performers, have great grades and (I am not American though, just what the calculators say) ~3.9 GPA

With the GMAT though I have to say that some problems make me struggle really hard at the moment and sometimes make me depressed.

For example this morning I wanted to solve some Quant Questions and one of them was a "machine / rate / output per hour" text-problem which I could not solve. I then looked the question up at gmatclub and saw that it was rated as easy .. which immediately made me think that I am just too dumb to achieve a 700+ if I don't even get these questions right.

As soon as I got myself together again I reviewed the questions and looked up a few different and now that I understood the rate / time relation I solved them fairly easy.

The main problem right now for me is the time -> the next quant question I took was a similar problem just a bit trickier and this time they wanted to know "how many machines ..." instead of "ouput per hour ..."

So I sat there and thought quite some time (think like 5-7 minutes I dunno) to come up with a suitable solution, I had the eureka moment at the end and came to the right solution but it frustrated me again because the solution was basically very simple and it took me that long to arrive there.

Have you guys immediately solved questions WITH time aspect or did you give yourself some weeks of just plain understanding / solving without time constraints before really pushing it under time pressure?

This might seem like I don't really have a plan but well I do, I have an error log, write everything down, have a time schedule and am pretty organized. I just have those breakdowns here and there where I am seriously questioning my competence.

It's also very hard for me to push in much hours, in Uni I can learn 8-9 hours during finals / exam phase, with the GMAT I did ~6 hours yesterday and after 3-4 hours it wasn't just possible to solve harder problems anymore.. So I used that time working on a spreadsheet and a cleaner error log.

Most people, regardless of their training, will not know how to quickly and accurately solve GMAT quantitative problems. You would need to become familiar with its special elements of question types and methods of solving.

The GMAT does not really test your mathematical abilities. It instead tests logical abilities.

Many testtakers start with low practice scores and do end up scoring well on the actual exam. You will need several months to do well on the exam. GL!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Is it bad that I am so slow?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 00:48
Hovkial wrote:
chrtpmdr wrote:
Hello guys!

Most people, regardless of their training, will not know how to quickly and accurately solve GMAT quantitative problems. You would need to become familiar with its special elements of question types and methods of solving.

The GMAT does not really test your mathematical abilities. It instead tests logical abilities.

Many testtakers start with low practice scores and do end up scoring well on the actual exam. You will need several months to do well on the exam. GL!

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks, yes I thought about that.
Given that I have no real time constraint and I started really early with prepping I think I should stretch my studies more out.

One of my milestone was to achieve a +700 before Christmas this year.. Usually Uni is very slow and not much work to do until January where it will be very harsh.

Do you think it is better then to quit the "hardcore approach" I follow now (with around 6-7 hours per day) and switch more to a smoother approach with ~3 hours per day without frustration and sole focus on improving + understanding problems?

I think I have got the mindset from Uni where it is "more time spend = good grade" I don't think that balls to the wall approach will work on the GMAT though
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 20:30
Hi chrtpmdr,

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so since you have been studying for just 1.5 weeks, you should not expect to have mastered any aspects of the Exam yet (and there are likely a variety of concepts that you have not even trained for yet). At this point, your focus should be on learning the content and Tactics needed to score at a high level; 'speed' and pacing will come with as you gain more experience. Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials are you currently using?
2) Have you taken any practice CATs/mocks - and how have you scored on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 00:07
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi chrtpmdr,

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so since you have been studying for just 1.5 weeks, you should not expect to have mastered any aspects of the Exam yet (and there are likely a variety of concepts that you have not even trained for yet). At this point, your focus should be on learning the content and Tactics needed to score at a high level; 'speed' and pacing will come with as you gain more experience. Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials are you currently using?
2) Have you taken any practice CATs/mocks - and how have you scored on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hey Rich,

I am using the OG Guides + all Manhattan Guides currently. I have not done a Mock test yet .. I practice some OG questions everyday but I could imagine that my Mock result could be very bad .. That's why I put it later on the calendar.

I plan to do it next week though! The thing is, with many questions I am at a point where I have a grasp behind the concept and can actually calculate a solution but still tick of the wrong answer (mostly Datasufficiency) and ofc especially in Geometry there are a lot of question that just blow my mind, I have a business background and the only thing we used so far where triangles in microeconomics (a*b/2).
Going from there to calculating the circumfence of a pentagon enscribed in a circle given the area of a circle is a huge difference.

The schools I plan to apply for are for now the HSG St. Gallen, and the RSM (Rotterdam).

Target would be + 700 although I can't really measure what I am capable for at the moment. I think above 700 is realistic, anything above 730 would be a dream but I think the chances are low to score > 730

I do believe though that I am capable for anything between 680-720, that would be the goal. With the HSQ I need at least 700 though, so 680 would be a bit of a disappointment :D
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 12:17
Hi chrtpmdr,

While it is understandable that you might not know how to handle every subject that you might see on a practice CAT, you really MUST take that initial diagnostic CAT soon. Many Test Takers are unhappy with their initial practice scores, but you really shouldn't be. It's just a measure of your skills right now - and we need to know your skills, strengths and weaknesses so that we can make sure that you are following a Study Plan that properly addresses your needs.

Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 18:12
Hi chrtpmdr,

Honestly, if you have been studying for only 1.5 weeks, I'm not surprised that you are struggling with certain GMAT quant questions, so there is nothing to be alarmed about at this point. I think that the larger concern is HOW you are studying GMAT quant. Looking at your study routine, I see that you are following a plan that I call “practice first and figure the rest out later.” In other words, you are doing practice problems before understanding the concepts on which those problems are based, and thus you are trying to learn solely from reading solutions to problems. Following such a plan will lead to disorganized studying and ultimately hold you back from improving your quant skills. To truly improve in GMAT quant, follow a study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT quant topic and then practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery.

If you’d like more specific advice on how to improve your quant skills, feel free to reach out. Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about How to Increase Your GMAT Quant Score.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is it bad that I am so slow?   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2019, 18:12

Is it bad that I am so slow?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k