Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Re: Is it inappropriate to mention this in an essay? [#permalink]
Michmax3 wrote:
I want to make reference to a quote I live my life by that really sums up who I am as a person and my outlook on the future. It is something I believe in so strongly that I have a tattoo of it (in a non-visible place and my only one). Is it inappropriate to mention that I have this as a tattoo? Not basing a whole essay on it, but as an intro to segway into the quote and then proceed to give examples of things I've done that embody this philosophy? I want to convey the importance and convice I didn't just chose a random quote for my essay, but I don't want to come across as unprofessional.

I think it's fine to mention it, but I agree with asimov that you shouldn't dwell on it being non-visible and your only one -- that comes across as defensive to me, which seems contrary to the importance this quote holds for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q41  V42
Send PM
minime2 wrote:
Depends on the essay. If it is Booth's third essay...go ahead and write about it...I would say...take it a step further and paste a pic of the tattoo and then write about it...apparently there are "no wrong answers" to that essay!!

For the others... I dont know...B school does not seem to be a tattoo kind of place...well it might just be...your call...I wasn't of much help there i guess :lol:

Actually Booth essay #2 lol, the quote is directly related to challenging yourself so I thought it a good introduction.

Agreed on not sounding defensive, just don't want to convey the picture of someone with an unprofessional look. I'll have to work on the wording a bit. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT MENTION BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHO MIGHT BE READING ON THE OTHER END.

Sorry for putting in caplocks. I just thought I had to scream to be heard in all the replies that are encouraging you to do this. You can mention the importance of the quote but saying you have a tattoo of the quote is not going to get you brownie points from admissions officers. Worse, it may turn a person, who may not have favorable view of tattoos, off. Mental picture of a tatted person is not the image you want to create. All you need is a recommender to say something like "you are unconventional" ; and a well meaning statement can be taken a different way in light of tattoo. So, stay on the safe side, and don't discuss it.

Tattoos are unprofessional and do not belong on/in a business school application. I remember, specifically, Eddie of Chicago Booth adcom saying at Chicago Booth Live that he didn't want to see applicants in their bathing suits (some people include such pictures in their ppt presentation); so, I would not put a picture of a tattoo either.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q41  V42
Send PM
bschbound wrote:
I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT MENTION BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHO MIGHT BE READING ON THE OTHER END.

Sorry for putting in caplocks. I just thought I had to scream to be heard in all the replies that are encouraging you to do this. You can mention the importance of the quote but saying you have a tattoo of the quote is not going to get you brownie points from admissions officers. Worse, it may turn a person, who may not have favorable view of tattoos, off. Mental picture of a tatted person is not the image you want to create. All you need is a recommender to say something like "you are unconventional" ; and a well meaning statement can be taken a different way in light of tattoo. So, stay on the safe side, and don't discuss it.

Tattoos are unprofessional and do not belong on/in a business school application. I remember, specifically, Eddie of Chicago Booth adcom saying at Chicago Booth Live that he didn't want to see applicants in their bathing suits (some people include such pictures in their ppt presentation); so, I would not put a picture of a tattoo either.

Yeah after thinking about it some and reading interviews with adcoms etc, I've actually decided against it. Figured it's not worth even possibly coming across as unprofessional. I appreciate your comment, validates what I was thinking at least. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:
Yeah after thinking about it some and reading interviews with adcoms etc, I've actually decided against it. Figured it's not worth even possibly coming across as unprofessional. I appreciate your comment, validates what I was thinking at least. Thanks!

And just in case you waver at some point in the future, let me add my voice to the mix. I agree that writing about a tattoo is strategically unwise. You just don't know who might read it and how they might judge you.

And what would it add anyway? Does having the quote tattooed on your body prove its importance to you? No way. How many people have quotes, names of ex-girlfriends, or Chinese characters tattooed to their body? Many. How many of those tattoos are of deep significance? Probably few.

I think you can do a better job of proving the importance of the quote through thought-provoking analysis of both the quote and its relationship to your life.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I see you have Haas on your list of schools. For what it's worth, I do recall reading a blog post somewhere about one guy's visit experience to Haas and he was saying how laid back and relaxed the students seemed and he mentioned one specific Haas student who had piercings and tattoos and i THINK wearing a tanktop

This is only from memory but I do recall it was very similar to that

That said, as progressive as I am, or like to think I am, I don't think it's really worth the risk for you to mention your tattoo. As the fellow poster said you really have no idea who reads this and ultimately these are people with their own value and look on things so might not be so keen on the tattoo

On the other hand they might have a monthly subscription to "Ink Stink" tattoo magazine or something, in which case you score

But odds are that isn't the case. So even though I encourage risk taking in somethings, in this particular one I don't think you have such an upside, again like a fellow poster said, best case is that it doesn't necessarily show that much commitment, for you personally you know it does and why you got it, but a lof of people get tattoos on a whim or when intoxicated

Whichever way you go, go all out, if you decide to mention it give it it's full

Cheers
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
mentioning a tattoo wont make anything more believable. Giving examples of how you have lived that quote is more credible.

Yes, asimov's idea is good. Booth's PPT does leave a lot of room for creativity.
GMAT Club Bot