GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 01:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is it possible? Rather, is it probable?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Is it possible? Rather, is it probable?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 07:06
Is getting a 750 from a 660 probable in three weeks?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is it possible? Rather, is it probable?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 08:51
To be honest, a 90 points jump is very difficult in mere three weeks of time.
However, I would still not say that it's impossible. What are you Practice Test scores?

If test takers continue to have a score plateau around the 700 score, a phenomenon that is very likely for most test takers, then it is very challenging for them to reach 750 in just three weeks. I would highly recommend to focus on your weaknesses, keeping in mind that test becomes increasing difficult after the 700 level.

All the best.
Senior PS Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 10:49
Hey there Vig17,

It is highly improbable to jump from 660 to 750 in three weeks unless you put in a ton load of hours. And even if you did stick to a grueling 10 hour a day schedule some things take time - like the intuition for SC questions and the pattern recognition required in PS/DS.

So what you need to introspect is why were you at 660? Is it the lowest score ever ( and you usually get mid 700s in mocks) in which case a 750 in three weeks could be a breeze or is 660 the best you could have done (till now) in which case three weeks seems to me as setting unrealistic goals to reach your target of 750.

What is the hurry? Are you trying for R2? (In which case as it is three weeks would be a bit too late as most schools begin R2 process in around a week)

If the hurry is not R2 then I would suggest you go through a proper planned study of a minimum of 10 weeks without keeping a strict deadline in mind to check where you stand and plan the GMAT accordingly to reach your target of 750. :-)

Best of luck!

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 10:50
HI Vig17,

To answer your question, jumping from a 660 to 750 in just 3 weeks is unlikely. That being said, I’m happy to provide some further advice but would first like to know more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) Have you previously taken the GMAT? If so, please provide your score breakdown.

2) How many practice GMATs have you taken? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

3) Please describe how you have been studying. For many hours a day and for how many months? What resources have you been using?

4) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

5) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

6) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

Once I learn a bit more about you, I can provide some detailed advice.

You may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Is it possible? Rather, is it probable?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 10:53
DisciplinedPrep
Gladiator59
ScottTargetTestPrep

I got a Q49,V30.
My mocks ranged from 660-700, with Q49-51 and V29-35. I knew Verbal was always a problem, and I did work on it using OG and the GMATclub question bank. It didn't seem to work.

Should I take up the E-gmat Verbal Online course? Would that help me bump my score up?

I am not working presently, so I have some time to spare for GMAT.

I am looking to apply to IIM Ahmedabad, which has a deadline on Feb 28, so that's why I'm in a hurry :/

Thanks for your time :)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 11:55
Hi Vig17,

In another one of your posts, you were asking about practice CATs, so I want to start there. The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, but retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills. Seeing even a few 'repeat' questions can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all be better than they normally would be). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you use the CAT correctly).

A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. Raising a 660 to the point that you could consistently score 750+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) For the upcoming application deadline you listed, what is the minimum Score that you would apply with?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 19:13
Hi Vig17,

Thank you for the reply. First off, it appears that your study plan is centered on doing practice questions. While engaging in practice is a necessary part of improving your GMAT skills, such practice is only beneficial after you have studied the topics on which those questions are based. Thus, consider adjusting your study plan such that it allows for linear learning. Specifically, consider using a resource that allows you FIRST to learn the concepts and strategies related to GMAT verbal and SECOND to practice with a large number of realistic questions. Furthermore, since your verbal score is 30, it’s clear that you lack some fundamental skills necessary for a good verbal score, so ensure that your study plan allows you to learn the foundations of GMAT verbal prior to moving on to more advanced topics.

Regarding verbal courses, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best verbal courses. If you’d like further advice on how to improve your verbal skills, feel free to reach back out. You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 23:21
Vig17 wrote:
I am looking to apply to IIM Ahmedabad, which has a deadline on Feb 28

Hi Vig17, for which program of IIM-A is this?

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 09:38
Vig17 wrote:
Is getting a 750 from a 660 probable in three weeks?

Concentrate on your weak areas, Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice. 6-8 CATs are enough for practice the real tests. Make your Stamina for sitting 3 hours in the test and don't study more than 2 hours in one sit and 4 hours per day.

Good Luck
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is it possible? Rather, is it probable?   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2019, 09:38

Is it possible? Rather, is it probable?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep