It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math???

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 29

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 22:08
i've heard the rumor that gmat 's going to be harder !!!

is it true ??anyone can share about it?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1863

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2008, 12:00
If anything can be said from the score the last few months, the verbal is the hardest part of the GMAT. The verbal also appears to be weighted heavier. This is my own opinion from my own scores for the 2 times I took it.

650 {Q66%, V84%} Overall 82%
720 {Q79%, V95%} Overall 95%

It seems the overall score percentile is closer to my verbal score percentile.

paeagain wrote:
i've heard the rumor that gmat 's going to be harder !!!

is it true ??anyone can share about it?

Thanks

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 87

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Schools: UCLA Anderson '12
Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 10:35
My friend was killing the GMATprep practices on math (high 40's-50) and felt the real test was much harder. She still scored a 44, so it might just be her perception or nervousness.

jallenmorris - that's a great score you improved to. I scored a 670 on my first attempt last year and am looking to break into the 700's also. I'm curious to know, what did you use to study the 2nd time around and what was your regiment?

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1863

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2008, 10:48
The first time around I just used a few Kaplan books and didn't even really look at them very closely. I didn't read any of them straight through. It may not have been taking it blind, but maybe taking it legally blind.

Second time around, I used this forum, Powerscore CR BIble, MGMAT SC Guide, OG11 (all 3 books), GMATPrep 1 & 2. and a few other CAT's but I forget the names of them. I studied on my lunch breaks, and at night. Total time spent studying was about 200 hours or so from late April to late July. I put in about 25 hours a week. It was nuts, but it paid off.

duuuma wrote:
My friend was killing the GMATprep practices on math (high 40's-50) and felt the real test was much harder. She still scored a 44, so it might just be her perception or nervousness.

jallenmorris - that's a great score you improved to. I scored a 670 on my first attempt last year and am looking to break into the 700's also. I'm curious to know, what did you use to study the 2nd time around and what was your regiment?

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2008
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2008, 12:07
I always thought it had to do with the idea that ppl tend to do better on the math than the verbal part, so for example, 5 q's wrong on math might get you a lower percentile than 5 q's wrong on the verbal.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1028

Kudos [?]: 737 [0], given: 1

Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2008, 03:51
shurashura wrote:
I always thought it had to do with the idea that ppl tend to do better on the math than the verbal part, so for example, 5 q's wrong on math might get you a lower percentile than 5 q's wrong on the verbal.


i think it is the other way round for percentiles ... each verbal question seems to carry more weight than a quant question ....
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 737 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 86

Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge
Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2008, 08:24
amitdgr wrote:
shurashura wrote:
I always thought it had to do with the idea that ppl tend to do better on the math than the verbal part, so for example, 5 q's wrong on math might get you a lower percentile than 5 q's wrong on the verbal.


i think it is the other way round for percentiles ... each verbal question seems to carry more weight than a quant question ....


I've seen similar results GMATPrep. Of course the difficulty of the question and proximity of wrong answers to one another will skew the results, but here's the results of one GMATPrep:

Quant 47 (missed 10 -> 73.0% correct)
Verbal 34 (missed 12 -> 70.7% correct)

Based on this non-scientific analysis of one exam, I would submit that Verbal questions are weighted more heavily than Quant questions. However, many other factors may have contributed to these results.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 86

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2008
Posts: 11

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2008, 14:42
Yep looks like Verbal is comparatively heavily weighted than Quant. Also a lower raw verbal score puts you in a higher percentile as compared to the raw quant score.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1863

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 05:54
I think that it's because lots of people think the most important thing with b-school is being able to crunch the numbers, but it does no one any good to crunch the numbers if that person cannot communicate the results to anyone else in an effective manner. Verbal skills will always outweigh raw techincal ability in math or science. You can save the economy or cure cancer with technical science and math, but you can get elected president with great verbal skills. (Obama)

maruti81 wrote:
Yep looks like Verbal is comparatively heavily weighted than Quant. Also a lower raw verbal score puts you in a higher percentile as compared to the raw quant score.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1028

Kudos [?]: 737 [0], given: 1

Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 06:48
jallenmorris wrote:
but you can get elected president with great verbal skills. (Obama)


:lol:

He is definitely one of the best orators in the trade ....
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 737 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1863

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 07:04
I agree that he's an amazing orator, but in my opinion, the substance is lacking. (Sorry I'm hi-jackign the thread)

amitdgr wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
but you can get elected president with great verbal skills. (Obama)


:lol:

He is definitely one of the best orators in the trade ....

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 32

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 86

Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge
Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 16:12
jallenmorris wrote:
I agree that he's an amazing orator, but in my opinion, the substance is lacking. (Sorry I'm hi-jackign the thread)

amitdgr wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
but you can get elected president with great verbal skills. (Obama)


:lol:

He is definitely one of the best orators in the trade ....


While we're at it: I agree.

If you haven't seen this yet, Arnold's speech is hillarious. At 1:40 Arnold makes fun of Obama's physique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWZuhGb6ux4
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 86

Re: Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math???   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2008, 16:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is it true that GMAT is Harder on Math???

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.