GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 22:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is OG hard or is it hard just for me?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Is OG hard or is it hard just for me?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 05:18
Hi all.

I recently started to study GMAT with OG for my first resource.(I went to a prep every weekend for 3 months, it was not very helpful as the prep was focusing on tips but not on basic knowledge at all.)
Then I found out the PS questions are very difficult for me despite I quite well understand basic mass theories. I don't know why I feel the questions are so hard to solve since I must have faced these kinds of questions back in highschool and I was quite well on math.

My verbal score was 16 when I took mock-test, so now I guess maybe this is because I am lack of logical mindset that is required for MBA.. aside from being good enough to do work.
It'a been a 3 full months since I started this unique journey, the fact there are overwhelmingly too much to improve in a month or two months(to apply 2nd rounds) makes me feel so nervous and tired.

Could anyone advise me how to transfrom my brain into logical one, to get a different perspectives and approach GMAT questions?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Is OG hard or is it hard just for me?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 06:23
Hi and welcome to GMAT Club.

You saying you have been studying with OG for 3 months or that you took a course/class 3 months ago? You mentioned some kind of tips. Where did they come from?

In general, the official guide is arranged from easier to harder questions. It’s not an absolute ranking but usually the early questions will be generally easy and the leader questions in each section will be harder. In general, the official guide is arranged from easier to harder questions. It’s not an absolute ranking but usually the early questions will be generally easy and the leader questions in each section will be harder.

Are you having trouble with both quant and verbal? It’s kind of hard to recommend anything if everything needs to be fixed so it probably would be helpful if you could identify a particular area unless it really is everything...

G

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 12:07
koko100 wrote:
Hi all.

I recently started to study GMAT with OG for my first resource.(I went to a prep every weekend for 3 months, it was not very helpful as the prep was focusing on tips but not on basic knowledge at all.)
Then I found out the PS questions are very difficult for me despite I quite well understand basic mass theories. I don't know why I feel the questions are so hard to solve since I must have faced these kinds of questions back in highschool and I was quite well on math.

My verbal score was 16 when I took mock-test, so now I guess maybe this is because I am lack of logical mindset that is required for MBA.. aside from being good enough to do work.
It'a been a 3 full months since I started this unique journey, the fact there are overwhelmingly too much to improve in a month or two months(to apply 2nd rounds) makes me feel so nervous and tired.

Could anyone advise me how to transfrom my brain into logical one, to get a different perspectives and approach GMAT questions?

Hello, koko100. Welcome to the community. It is important not to conflate the GMAT™ with being prepared to earn an MBA. I have worked with plenty of students who may have done well in school but could not cut it when it came to standardized tests. (That is usually why they end up working with a tutor like me in the first place.) In terms of how to progress with regard to GMAT™ prep, try looking up the questions on this site that you have missed from the OG. I cannot sing enough praise for the depth and breadth of the community responses, both from experts and regular test-takers. For Quant, you may need something succinct that goes through each topic, whether that means finding the right book, thoroughly reading the corresponding chapter in the OG, or undertaking an online prep course (several of which are quite affordable for one-month access). For Verbal, you might consider a similar strategy, breaking down the section into its sub-categories of CR, RC, and SC and then further compartmentalizing information to target your weakest areas. Be honest with yourself, and organize the information to keep track of your progress.

Think of the hard work you are willing to put in to earn a place in an MBA program. The GMAT™ is just one component of the larger picture. And when you have a community such as this one to bounce ideas off of, with practice, diligence, and time, you will start to get the ball rolling toward success. Take things one day at a time.

Good luck.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 22:43
bb
I was so in panic so my writing was not clear enough for you guys. I spend 3 months for attending weekend GMAT classes at local prep school, apparently I didn't get any from there. I didn't have time to look at OG because the prep school gave me lots of homeworks mainly on Verbal. I memorized all the useful tricks(or tips) there, that can't be useful as I don't have strong foundation and understanding of this exam.
So I am now staring over, I am very dedicated and investing min 4 hours everyday afterwork, no holidays. (I've been studying like this for 3 months, so I think the problem is how I studied)

As non-native English speaker,I know my verbal needs to be improved a lot but the quant is far below level from what I used to study in highschool.
I just found out I don't have strength in both sections even after 3 months, this fact makes me disappointed.

Thanks for your comments

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 12:55
Hi koko100,

While the OG books are great sources for practice questions, but they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. To that end, you might want to work on the OG a little later on in your studies.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 05:23
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi koko100,

While the OG books are great sources for practice questions, but they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. To that end, you might want to work on the OG a little later on in your studies.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:

Rich

Thanks for your comment, I will answer them below.

- 4 hours a day / 30 hours a week approx.
- I only took one entire test, scored 400(Quant 31, Verbal 16), November 9th.
- My goal is +700, ideally 750
- July 2nd, 2020. It will be my second test.
- 2020 intake, within 3rd round
- Ideally UCLA, USC, NYU.

I know it's hard yet I cannot give up +700 score for some reasons, so any of your advise will be very helpful for me to reset the way of my study.
Thanks!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 19:31
Hi koko100,

To start, the 750+ score is approximately the 98th percentile - meaning that 98% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT). Thankfully, NO Business School requires a score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" are not the same thing. Raising a 400 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Since you have taken just 1 practice CAT Test so far - and that was over 3 weeks ago, I suggest that you plan to take another one sometime soon (perhaps this coming weekend). Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how best to proceed.

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 19:08
Hi Koko100,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. The good news is that you’ve given yourself plenty of time to study (up to 8 months), so as long as you work hard and follow a linear and structured study plan, you CAN improve your GMAT score. Regarding how to move forward, would you like some general advice on how to improve your quant and verbal skills? Also, you may find it helpful to read the following articles:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

How to Learn More, Learn Faster, and Retain More Knowledge While Preparing for the GMAT

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is OG hard or is it hard just for me?   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2019, 19:08

Is OG hard or is it hard just for me?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep