Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 19:50 It is currently 12 May 2024, 19:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg 2011
Send PM
Re: Is Recession Really boosting up the applications? [#permalink]
A few weeks ago I was at a reception for Cornell and I asked the AD about applications. He remarked that while the number of applications is up, the competition isn't. His point was that a lot of the increase is folks (yes, many of whom have been laid off in the banking sector) who are rushing apps out the door, not taking the time to fully study for the gmat, and as a result are easier to ding. Maybe he was just trying to reassure folks, but it was an interesting take.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Read this article on BW: https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... op+stories

Some schools are considering increasing class size. Unfortunately, it didn't specifically mention many school. The only elite school mentioned was Tuck, and Tuck plan to keep the class size unchanged.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
cs11 wrote:
A few weeks ago I was at a reception for Cornell and I asked the AD about applications. He remarked that while the number of applications is up, the competition isn't. His point was that a lot of the increase is folks (yes, many of whom have been laid off in the banking sector) who are rushing apps out the door, not taking the time to fully study for the gmat, and as a result are easier to ding. Maybe he was just trying to reassure folks, but it was an interesting take.

When I visited Kellogg the Admissions Officer doing the info session made a similar comment that while application pool increased for the Fall 2008 entering class, they didn't see a huge increase in quality applications and the class stats aren't much different than for the Fall 2007 entering class.

Also, in response to the BW article, several people in the Admissions Office at Kellogg said they have absolutely no plans to increase class size.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
In my humble opinion it does not really matter that much how good is the economy at the moment of graduation (in the short run).

We will all end up working for many many years in the future, prolly even up to 30-35 years or more and its definetely better option to be paid as an MBA versus BA or stuck up with a job that u dont like.

Even though if u graduate in the peak of a recession u will catch something, maybe not very well paying but what the heck, just to survive for a year or to till the market goes up again and raises bonuses and salaries.

The thing is that in times of bad economy a lot of ppl who really dont have anything else to do will end up applying to the bschools and thus take some spots from ppl who really wanted it.

That kinda sucks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
cs11 wrote:

Was that reception before or after the R2 deadline at Cornell? Just curious because after R1 Cornell said apps were up 10% but after the R2 deadline the Cornell adcom on BW stated that apps were "roughly tracking" last year. I'm just wondering if the cornell adcom you spoke with may not have had the most updated numbers yet because I think cornell apps were flat. Of course the general statement that laid off applicants put in weaker apps is still stands (hopefully).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
On the Chicago chat this morning, Rose said that applications were up in R1 (but didn't give an exact %), but that they didn't see a noticable increase in the quality. She said the AdCom can do a pretty good job at weeding out applications that were put together at the last minute and those that were the result of serious thought and reflection.

Also, one of the other AdCom said they are not currently discussing any increases to class size. So it seems that despite the BW article there really aren't any elite schools seriously considering a bigger class this year.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2