GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 09:44

Stanford R1 Interview Decisions:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Is The SECOND Section score of GMAT dependant on the 1st Section?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Is The SECOND Section score of GMAT dependant on the 1st Section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 08:54
Is the previous section's performance considered in the scoring of the second section in GMAT?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is The SECOND Section score of GMAT dependant on the 1st Section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 08:56
ayashwanth wrote:
Is the previous section's performance considered in the scoring of the second section in GMAT?

I have a simple answer - No it’s not dependent. Both the sections are mutually independent.

Good luck :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Is The SECOND Section score of GMAT dependant on the 1st Section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 09:18
It doesn't matter how you perform in one section, all sections are independently evaluated.

What to do if you are new to GMAT:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-if-you-are-new-272708.html#p2108758

GMAC official guides : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-official-guides-the-master-directory-links-240610.html#p1854935

Give me kudos if you like it , it's totally harmless :)

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 09:49
No it does not affect the scoring of the second section. However your overall score is based on the scores of both the sections.

Moreover just fyi, ideally you should have a balanced score for each section that will display equivalent proficiency with both Quant & Verbal. Generally a skewed performance is not preferred by B schools, however you may want to check your target schools requirements. Some schools prefer a higher Quant score & are lenient towards a slightly lower/average Verbal score.

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 08:07
Hi ayashwanth,

I agree with what already has been said. Each section is independent of the others.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 09:56
Hi Yashwanth,

While your performance in one section of the Test has NO bearing on how any of the other sections are administered, there are a number of factors that CAN impact your performance over the Course of the Exam. For example, the time that you begin your GMAT, which section you choose to take first, how you choose to use the two 8-minute breaks, etc. This is meant to say that there are a variety of different aspects to Test Day that you have to 'train' for (far more than just the content that is tested).

In another post, you noted that you had scored 650 on the GMAT, but you have not provided any additional information about your studies or goals. If you're thinking about retesting, then it would help if you could provide a bit more information:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for your Official GMAT (the 650)?

Goals:
5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 20:08
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking interest & noticing my posts.

I have completed my GMAT and got an unofficial score of 650.
I have faced serious issues while taking the test at the Pearson Vue center, where there were internet disconnections thrice during the exam and the sequence of events are as followed :
1) 1st Disconnection when 13min remaining in the Verbal Section(1st Section) - This was a disconnection while i was reading comprehension and the screen froze and i couldn't select my answer. Since it froze, the examiner has turned off my PC and restarted the routers and his internet connections. All this has taken around 5-8 minutes and as soon as i logged back in, i noticed that i had lost 1min 30 seconds in the CLOCK/TIMER in the test software and due to the 8min gap, i had to run through the RC again.
2) 2nd Disconnection when 1min 39 seconds were remaining in Verbal - This disconnection was as soon as i completed and submitted the 35th question. I had moved on to the 36th question and since it froze, the examiner turned the PC off immediately to try and avoid losing time. I made the examiner stand next to me when we logged back in again after 5-7 minutes after resetting the internet connection and to my bad luck, i was left with only 18 seconds for the last question which was a complex Sentence correction question where i had to just pick an answer without event looking properly.
3) 3rd Disconnection : The third disconnection was in the Quant Section after completing 6 questions. It was the same issue and followed the same pattern as above and i again lost 1 and a half minute whereas the break/time to get back online was around 10-12 minutes.
Too many issues hampering my exam and the examiners called the Pearson Vue team after the exam and what they had to say that "Students keep saying such things, but nothing of that sort happens".
They say they cannot do anything & just raised a Case through the portal. If there is something that can happen, i'll automatically receive an e-mail in 5 working days.

Hi Rich,

Below are the details regarding my preparation :

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? - Have studied for 3 months.
2) What study materials have you used so far? - Official Guide, Mock Tests from Princeton Review & Mock Tests from BYJUS. Scored an Average of 700 in the last 5 tests.
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? Quant - 44, Verbal - 35
4) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for your Official GMAT (the 650)? Not yet received.

Goals:
5) What is your goal score? - My goal score was 700
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School? - Applying to schools in Dec'19-Jan'20
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to? - NUS, SDA Bocconi, ESMT Berlin

Regards,
Yashwanth Prithviraj
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 20:15
ayashwanth wrote:
Too many issues hampering my exam and the examiners called the Pearson Vue team after the exam and what they had to say that "Students keep saying such things, but nothing of that sort happens".
They say they cannot do anything & just raised a Case through the portal. If there is something that can happen, i'll automatically receive an e-mail in 5 working days.
You should call Pearson customer support up directly (drop them an email as well).

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 21:15
AjiteshArun wrote:
ayashwanth wrote:
You should call Pearson customer support up directly (drop them an email as well).

I've sent them an email.
At the test centre they said "but you already accepted the score".
I didn't have any choice since i had to do it in 2 minutes and had no other option at that point of time than moving on with the exam rather than letting more time run out.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 09:50
Hi Yashwanth,

I'm sorry to hear about the Test Day issues that you experienced. Those issues could certainly be enough to explain why your Score dropped on Test Day. As an aside, whether you 'accept' your Score or not at the Test Facility has NOTHING to do with whether you should file a formal complaint about your Exam conditions or not (nor the validity of your complaint). From what you describe, the Testing conditions seemed unfair, but Pearson will ultimately have to make the decision whether to compensate you or not.

From the additional information you gathered, it sounds as though these Computer Lab issues have happened to other Test Takers too - so retesting at the same location would probably NOT be a good idea. If there are any other locations where you could take the GMAT, then you might want to consider scheduling your next Test at one of those locations.

Before we discuss how best to proceed, let's see what you receive back form the Pearson investigators.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 18:03
ayashwanth wrote:
I've sent them an email.
At the test centre they said "but you already accepted the score".
I didn't have any choice since i had to do it in 2 minutes and had no other option at that point of time than moving on with the exam rather than letting more time run out.
Call them. Email usually takes longer. I am reasonably confident that they'll try to remedy the situation if they can just see that you lost time on the exam.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is The SECOND Section score of GMAT dependant on the 1st Section? &nbs [#permalink] 26 Oct 2018, 18:03

Is The SECOND Section score of GMAT dependant on the 1st Section?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap