GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is this a bad question? Or can you use "begun" in a non-past perfect?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Feb 2018
Posts: 14
Is this a bad question? Or can you use "begun" in a non-past perfect?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 18:47
Hello,

Can you use begun without "have" or "had"? Take a look at this question. I think the answer should E. But the correct answer, according to PR, is A.

An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.

1. to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago
2. begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment
3. begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago
4. at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago
5. that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Posts: 66
Location: United States
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: Is this a bad question? Or can you use "begun" in a non-past perfect?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 19:50
jooyoung99 wrote:
Hello,

Can you use begun without "have" or "had"? Take a look at this question. I think the answer should E. But the correct answer, according to PR, is A.

An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.

1. to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago
2. begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment
3. begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago
4. at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago
5. that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment


This usage seems to be correct because it is being used as modifier.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16847
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Is this a bad question? Or can you use "begun" in a non-past perfect?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 19:55
There is a 4-page discussion of this topic here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/an-attempt-t ... 77214.html

It does seem to raise quite a few of questions.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Feb 2018
Posts: 14
Re: Is this a bad question? Or can you use "begun" in a non-past perfect?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 19:59
davidfrank wrote:

This usage seems to be correct because it is being used as modifier.


so when "begun" is used as a modifier, it's okay to not to have it in non-past perfect?

I would've thought it should be "began". Why can't you use "began" as a modifier?
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 999
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Is this a bad question? Or can you use "begun" in a non-past perfect?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 01:36
1
jooyoung99 wrote:
so when "begun" is used as a modifier, it's okay to not to have it in non-past perfect?

I would've thought it should be "began". Why can't you use "began" as a modifier?

Hi jooyoung99, basically the different verb forms of begin are:

Simple present: Begin
Simple Past: Began
Past Participle: Begun (Adjective)

Structure of Past Perfect: have/has + Past Participle

Since Participles are Adjectives (Modifiers), begun used as a modifier is correct.

In fact, had the sentence used began, it would have meant that the sentence was using a simple past tense verb and the sentence would have been incorrect.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these verb forms, their applications and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is this a bad question? Or can you use "begun" in a non-past perfect? &nbs [#permalink] 13 Mar 2018, 01:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is this a bad question? Or can you use "begun" in a non-past perfect?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.