GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 May 2018, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IS TOEFL COMPULSORY?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
IS TOEFL COMPULSORY?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 10:45
I’ve just been told that after taking my GMAT, I have to take the Test of English. Is that compulsory??

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: IS TOEFL COMPULSORY? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 10:53
Hey Estheroma ,

It is actually not and it really depends on your undergraduate university instruction medium as well as the school you are applying to.

Most of the schools give waiver if your undergraduate language of instruction was English.

But there are a few schools such as UCLA, USC, that require TOEFL(if you are international) to be taken no matter what.

Let me know in case of further queries. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place

!NEW! Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 11:02
Oh okay, thanks for replying. I’m actually interested in a few schools but I’ll make some research and get back to you

Posted from my mobile device
Top Contributor
Board of Directors
G
IS TOEFL COMPULSORY? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 12:21
Top Contributor
Actually, if you are a foreign student TOEFL is always mandatory.

Probably only Harvard BS does not require it. Because is implied if you are accepted into Harvard, then is impossible you do NOT have a proficiency English at a top level.

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 01:41
carcass wrote:

Probably only Harvard BS does not require it. Because is implied if you are accepted into Harvard, then is impossible you do NOT have a proficiency English at a top level.

Regards

I don’t think that is 100 percent true carcass.

Only a handful of schools (mostly Californian) schools make it mandatory to submit the TOEFl.
I have applied to three schools so far without a toefl score.

Schools have offer waiver if the medium of instruction at your undergraduate was in English.
Which actually is the case almost everytime.

NOTE-> TOEFL is recommended as schools such as USC, vandy make it a compulsion.
So take it just to be sure that you can apply without anything thwarting your application.

Best
Stone cold

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Top Contributor
Board of Directors
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 03:30
Top Contributor
Sorry. I appreciate your feedback, real handful. But I went through the admission criteria of hundred of Schools from south-east Asia, US, Canada, Latin America and Europe. Believe me: TOEFL is always one of the criteria of the admission process.

If it is used for the acceptance of over 25.000,00 BS' in the entire world, especially in the US because the TOEFL is an invention of the American school system, why then is it not compulsory ??

Once again, hundred of admission requirements ask for the TOEFL.

The fact that you have not submitted it in your application could not be being representative of the entire scenario; more or less a survey is NOT representative of the entire population objected of the same.

regards.

Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 07:39
carcass wrote:
Sorry. I appreciate your feedback, real handful. But I went through the admission criteria of hundred of Schools from south-east Asia, US, Canada, Latin America and Europe. Believe me: TOEFL is always one of the criteria of the admission process.

If it is used for the acceptance of over 25.000,00 BS' in the entire world, especially in the US because the TOEFL is an invention of the American school system, why then is it not compulsory ??

The fact that you have not submitted it in your application could not be being representative of the entire scenario; more or less a survey is NOT representative of the entire population objected of the same.

regards.

Hi carcass ,

I applied to 10 schools this year and none of them asked me to submit TOEFL score because my undergraduate was from English Medium University.

All the schools I applied to were under top 25.

I agree with stonecold and this has been my personal experience/research. Most of the schools waive TOEFL off except a few such as UCLA or USC.

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 10:34
carcass wrote:

Regards
Okay thank you. I will take the exams after my TOEFL

Sent from my iPhone
Top Contributor
Board of Directors
G
IS TOEFL COMPULSORY? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 11:13
Top Contributor
abhimahna wrote:
carcass wrote:

regards.

Hi carcass ,

I applied to 10 schools this year and none of them asked me to submit TOEFL score because my undergraduate was from English Medium University.

All the schools I applied to were under top 25.

I agree with stonecold and this has been my personal experience/research. Most of the schools waive TOEFL off except a few such as UCLA or USC.

Sorry guys, otherwise we do have a misunderstanding. TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. Of course, you have an education such as you have mentioned

Quote:
was from English Medium University
the exam could be waived. If I come from Naples and I wanna study at Princeton, for sure I have to have the TOEFL :roll:

US

Attachment:
shot8.jpg
shot8.jpg [ 169.73 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]

Canada

Attachment:
shot9.jpg
shot9.jpg [ 152.41 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]

UK

Attachment:
shot10.jpg
shot10.jpg [ 159.99 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
Estheroma wrote:
Okay thank you. I will take the exams after my TOEFL

Sent from my iPhone

Hey Estheroma ,

Make sure you research the schools requirements before actually appearing for the same.

It is NOT required by most of the schools. Read comments in the above posts.

Thank you!

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 11:11
Not required:
MIT Sloan – a TOEFL is not required to apply to the MBA program. We measure this during personal interviews. This is our best gauge of English ability. We will also use the verbal sections of the GMAT or GRE to evaluate English language ability.

Yale – the TOEFL, PTE Academic, or IELTS exam is not required for international applicants.

Duke Fuqua – English as a Second Language test scores are not required, but we encourage you to include valid scores that you may have available.

RSM – We don’t require TOEFL, IELTS or PTE scores initially, but the admissions committee may request them at any point during the admissions process.

IMD – You don’t need to take the TOEFL. If we are interested in your application you will be invited for an on-campus assessment day, which will give us the opportunity to evaluate your level of English for ourselves.

The following programs require the TOEFL but don’t set a minimum score for admission:

Wharton
LBS
Kellogg
Columbia
Tuck
NYU Stern
Darden

The following programs require the TOEFL but have a relatively low minimum score for admission:

Berkeley Haas – IBT 90 or CBT 230 or PBT 570.
UCLA Anderson – IBT 87 or CBT 220 or PBT 560.
BYU Marriott – IBT 94 or CBT 240 or PBT 590.
Arizona State Carey – IBT 80 or PBT 550.
Boston University – IBT 95 or PBT 600 (recommended).
UC Irvine Merage – IBT 80 or PBT 600.

本当のライバルは昨日までの自分

Re: IS TOEFL COMPULSORY?   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2018, 11:11

IS TOEFL COMPULSORY?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: carcass, subhashghosh

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap