GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 11:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 309
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Apr 2019, 09:58
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:40) correct 35% (00:55) wrong based on 51 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is x^2/y < 0 ?

(1) -2 < x < 3

(2) 1 < y < 3

Originally posted by saurabh9gupta on 07 Apr 2019, 09:07.
Last edited by saurabh9gupta on 07 Apr 2019, 09:58, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 15 Jul 2018
Posts: 108
Re: Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 10:01
Taking option B as true, we can clearly say that the expression in the problem would be positive, which gives a definite answer

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 25 Feb 2019
Posts: 335
Reviews Badge
Re: Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 10:17
Apt0810 wrote:
Taking option B as true, we can clearly say that the expression in the problem would be positive, which gives a definite answer

Posted from my mobile device


from statement 2

X can be 0 also , then

we have 0<0 which is not possible .


Could you help on this whether this reasoning is correct .
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59725
Re: Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 10:21
m1033512 wrote:
Apt0810 wrote:
Taking option B as true, we can clearly say that the expression in the problem would be positive, which gives a definite answer

Posted from my mobile device


from statement 2

X can be 0 also , then

we have 0<0 which is not possible .


Could you help on this whether this reasoning is correct .


The question asks whether x^2/y < 0.

(2) says that y is positive. Thus, x^2/y is 0, if x = 0, OR positive, if x ≠ 0. In both cases x^2/y is NOT less than 0. So, we have a definite NO answer to the question. That's why (2) is sufficient.

Hope it helps.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 25 Feb 2019
Posts: 335
Reviews Badge
Re: Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 10:32
Bunuel wrote:
m1033512 wrote:
Apt0810 wrote:
Taking option B as true, we can clearly say that the expression in the problem would be positive, which gives a definite answer

Posted from my mobile device


from statement 2

X can be 0 also , then

we have 0<0 which is not possible .


Could you help on this whether this reasoning is correct .


The question asks whether x^2/y < 0.

(2) says that y is positive. Thus, x^2/y is 0, if x = 0, OR positive, if x ≠ 0. In both cases x^2/y is NOT less than 0. So, we have a definite NO answer to the question. That's why (2) is sufficient.

Hope it helps.



Got it , Thanks :)

even if it is 0, we can say it is not less than 0
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1702
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 10:52
saurabh9gupta wrote:
Is x^2/y < 0 ?

(1) -2 < x < 3

(2) 1 < y < 3


\(x^2\) will always be non negative OR

\(x^2 >= 0\) always.

So now everything comes down to the value of "y"

Statement 1 : \(2 < x < 3\)

No info about "y".

If "y" is negative, answer to the question is YES i.e, \(\frac{x^2}{y} < 0\)

but if "y" is positive, answer to the question is NO i.e, \(x^/y\) not less than "0"

NOT SUFFICIENT


Statement 2 : \(1 < y < 3\)

This shows that \(y > 0\) always.

Therefore, answer to the question is definite NO. SUFFICIENT

\(\frac{x^2}{y} < 0\)

_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 5483
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 10:55
saurabh9gupta wrote:
Is x^2/y < 0 ?

(1) -2 < x < 3

(2) 1 < y < 3


#1
x would be +ve ; y is not clear
insufficient
#2
y wil be +ve and x whether - pr + no difference it makes
IMO B
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2019, 10:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is x^2/y < 0 ? (1) -2 < x < 3 (2) 1 < y < 3

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne