GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ISB vs Mcdonough

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User
ISB vs Mcdonough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 00:25
I have received admits from both ISB and Georgetown university but I am confused about what to choose. ISB is good but it lacks the international exposure and networking opportunities that Mcdonough can provide. On the other hand, ISB is stable and gives you a job security which being an international student at Georgetown, it will be a fight and a challenge in itself. Also, I am concerned about the way of teaching in ISB which might be inclined towards Indian business environment, more focus on marks, GPA and it might not provide global exposure. While at georgetown, I will have a global exposure and a different way of learning which an Indian school might not provide.

Leaving aside financials and stuff, I want to know which will be better as a university and will help me in my career regardless of whether I settle in india or want to work outside India in the long run.

Please guide me on the same.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ISB vs Mcdonough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 00:38
Also, I have a deadline to submit deposit to ISB in 2 days. Any help or inputs will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 11:49
Out of curiosity, what did you end up going with?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 08:54
I am stuck in the same dilemma. Would love to know how you went about it.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 23:04
pdr0724 wrote:

Calling Gnpth - any tips or suggestions?

pdr0724 - do you want to be in India or US? Is one or the other a goal of yours? What industry do you want to recruit into? Do you have brands on your resume?

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Current Student
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 08:59
Top Contributor
pdr0724 wrote:

Hi pdr0724 As BB mentioned it all depends on where you want to live post MBA. ISB is really good at consulting. I agree getting into MBB is tough even though Bain and BCG recruit at the campus at MSB. If consulting is your choice and don't mind living in India for a couple more years after MBA before you get opportunities abroad. I would stick with ISB.

Also, I would recommend the Pros & Cons list for each school and then do a 360-degree comparison for both schools. Talk to Current Students and Alums before deciding.

PM me if you want to talk more about MSB.

MBA, Class of 2020,
McDonough School of Business
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2020, 14:47
Gnpth and bb
Thank you for responding. I am already in the US and have been here since the last 6 years. I am confused between settling in India vs US. However, I do want to have the flexibility to be able to work globally. I am looking to go into gen mgmt or corporate strategy kind of roles. Or, under the current situation (I am guessing more international are going to defer their admission due to the corona virus situation), do you think I should take a shot at some other schools in R3? Currently, I've been accepted into ISB, Mcdonough and waitlisted at Mccombs. Denied at Fuqua, Kellogg and Darden. I am including a brief description of my profile:

Exp: 4 years of exp in data analytics in the US
1 year internship at Novartis, India
GMAT: 710
Undergrad: BITS Pilani

Thank you for all your help!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2020, 14:59
Have you exhausted your H1B stays? What is your work permit strategy?

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2020, 15:15
I've only worked for 1 year on H1B. Currently, I am on H4 but can move back to H1B when needed.
Current Student
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
ISB vs Mcdonough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2020, 07:48
Top Contributor
pdr0724 wrote:
I've only worked for 1 year on H1B. Currently, I am on H4 but can move back to H1B when needed.

Your decision becomes a little more difficult with Family in the states. People from Data Analytics Background normally able to find Gen Mgmt roles or strategy consulting jobs at MSB. I would suggest talking to some immigration lawyer to check with switching the visa status. If it easy then go ahead. I'm not sure about the process.

For ISB - I suggest you take in everything for your decision-making process on how it is going to impact if you live in India and your family in the US. The main trouble if you choose ISB is that it is not guaranteed that you can find a job in the US immediately maybe You will in 2-3 years after graduation(chances for transfer to the US).

I'm sure there are plenty of global opportunities at ISB but not sure how it will play in your case if you want to return to the US immediately and if you want H1B. If you still have a valid H4 or chance to apply for H4 EAD renewal after graduating from ISB, then it should be easy to find a job in the US. The only drawback- you have to stay away from family for one year. I'm certain that time(be it 1 year at ISB or 2 years at MSB) will fly.

General Suggestion - Talk to Immigration Lawyers to check your situation and scenarios if you decide to stay in the US for MSB or go back to India for ISB. All the best...

EDIT - As for R3 - There is no harm in applying to schools. I believe most school application numbers might have dropped. But I guess it depends on the ISB start date as well right? R3 decision will not show up until the end of May or early June.

MBA, Class of 2020,
McDonough School of Business
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2020, 10:22
Hi Gnpth

Thank you for the detailed response. ISB has delayed the start date by 2 weeks for now. But, if the situation doesnt improve, I think they are going to postpone it further. Even if it does improve in India but not in the US, my travel to India would be difficult. In that scenario, I would have to defer my admission to the next year.

I have a couple of qns:

1. I've heard that a lot of mcdonough's students are placed in Federal jobs. Do international students face an issue with placements?

2. How is mcdonough valued in India?

3. If i do apply in R3, what would be a good list of schools for me to focus on? I was thinking Tuck and Ross. Are they an overreach? Also, what do you think of kenan flager in comparison to mcdonough. Given my interest in gen mgmt/stategy roles, can you suggest what would be the best route?

I cant thank you enough for the guidance. I really appreciate it.I got waitlisted at mccombs in R2. If i get through, I am more inclined to choose mccombs. Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: ISB vs Mcdonough   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2020, 10:22

ISB vs Mcdonough

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate