GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 11:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
CAT Tests
It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 18:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:12) correct 58% (01:43) wrong based on 267 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

A. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to

B. all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and

C. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and

D. the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and

E. the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them, and
Intern
Intern
B
Re: It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 20:24
can someone explain why B is incorrect and does C not create parallelism issue?
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Mar 2018, 08:24
olivierprost wrote:
It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

A. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to

B. all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and

C. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and

D. the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and

E. the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them, and

abhimahna egmat
IMO option D changes the meaning of the original sentence.
Need to know whether option D has any parallelism error?

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

Originally posted by itisSheldon on 25 Mar 2018, 01:12.
Last edited by itisSheldon on 31 Mar 2018, 08:24, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 05:48
olivierprost wrote:

need expert's thoughts as to why D is incorrect and C is more correct.

pls guide.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 20:11
D does not have any paralellism error, but it changes the meaning of the sentence. In answers D, E the wording is "the only thing that has to be done is", but there are more than one activities mentioned.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 20:52
l01os wrote:
D does not have any paralellism error, but it changes the meaning of the sentence. In answers D, E the wording is "the only thing that has to be done is", but there are more than one activities mentioned.

Doesn't " all one has to do " imply the same? The main verb begins before all the action words . So it is understood that the main verb implies for every action verb that follows. I don't think your reasoning is quite right.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 03:04
For Answer C, "is leave them alone", why not "is leaving them alone" or "is to leave them alone", strange for "be + verb"
2 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 22:46
I can see lots of open questions are going on here. Time for me to chime in. :)

This question reinforces the fact that one should focus alot on understanding the meaning of the sentence.

The meaning of the sentence is the current over simplified view is to leave them alone while they are feeding and then corral and drive them to the market. Or I can say corral and drive should happen after they are done with feeding.

Now, let's see what you all are saying. :)

itisSheldon wrote:
IMO option D changes the meaning of the original sentence.
Need to know whether option D has any parallelism error?

Hey itisSheldon ,

Yes, D is changing the meaning of the sentence. The sequencing is not maintained in D. It implies leaving them alone, corralling and driving are happening at the same time. Do you see the importance of "then"?

Tapesh03 wrote:
can someone explain why B is incorrect and does C not create parallelism issue?

Hey Tapesh03 ,

B is incorrect for the same reasons mentioned above for D. Also, B has another issue. B says leave them alone to feed themselves. Meaning the purpose of leaving them is to feed. While the original meaning is while they are feeding, don't dare to disturb them. Do you see how using the infinitive "to feed" changes the meaning?

GMAT215 wrote:
need expert's thoughts as to why D is incorrect and C is more correct.
pls guide.

Hey GMAT215 ,

D is incorrect for reasons explained above. Remember "the statement C is more correct" is absolutely incorrect on GMAT. An option is either 100% correct or 100% wrong. :)

AdityaHongunti wrote:
Doesn't " all one has to do " imply the same? The main verb begins before all the action words . So it is understood that the main verb implies for every action verb that follows. I don't think your reasoning is quite right.

Hey AdityaHongunti ,
I agree somewhat to l01os 's explanation. When I am saying "only thing", I can't list out multiple things in the list. "All one has to" opens the doors for multiple things. That could be another reason to reject option D and E.

colinlin1 wrote:
For Answer C, "is leave them alone", why not "is leaving them alone" or "is to leave them alone", strange for "be + verb"

Hey colinlin1 ,

We are given a general fact/information here on what is the view. So, there is not need of using present continuous tense. Usually, facts are presented in Simple tense.

Let me know if anyone of you has any question. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 00:12
Quote:
Hey itisSheldon ,

Yes, D is changing the meaning of the sentence. The sequencing is not maintained in D. It implies leaving them alone, corralling and driving are happening at the same time. Do you see the importance of "then"?

abhimahna
I totally agree with you on this.
Need to know whether option D is grammatically correct? And what if option D is the original part of the sentence. Will it be the correct answer?

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 00:20
itisSheldon wrote:
I totally agree with you on this.
Need to know whether option D is grammatically correct? And what if option D is the original part of the sentence. Will it be the correct answer?

Hey itisSheldon ,

No, grammatically also it is wrong for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. ("Only one thing" and "It implies leaving them alone, corralling and driving are happening at the same time.")

Also, had this been the original sentence, I would have rejected it because logically it is giving an incorrect meaning.

Remember: The rule is original meaning of the sentence MUST be maintained if you have an option that is both logically and grammatically correct.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 07:44
I go with C for the following reason:

Leave them alone while they feed themselves..... 1st action AND (coral them and drive them) .... 2nd Action Done together when time is ripe Answer should be C. by meaning logical analysis is correct.
I think the strength of question can be increased 10 fold by introducing an option.
All one has to do with cattle is Leave them alone while they feed themselves, Coral them and Drive them to market when time is ripe

Hope this helps you guys.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 00:34
olito wrote:

Imo C

C is correct as it has correct meaning. The main confusion about is the use of two and. The main parallelism is between leave and drive. This one accounts for one and.

Now we have and in leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them. This is also correct as this clause internally maintains parallel and sequence.

This is classic case of parallelism in nested sentences.

D is not correct as the sequence is not right.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 05:53
D: The only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and drive them to market when the time is ripe

Here, it is illogical to equate a PASSIVE ACTION (to be done) with an ACTIVE ACTION ([to] leave them alone).
In addition, it is nonsensical to define a SERIES of actions performed at various times -- while the cattle feed themselves, when the time is ripe -- as THE ONLY THING that has to be done.
Further, it is questionable whether ANY action may rightly be considered a thing.
Eliminate D.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 07:58
Top Contributor
In C, to take corralling (done for two to three years) and driving to the markets ( for a day or two) as the same function for the sake of parallelism is peculiar.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 21:03
GMATGuruNY wrote:
D: The only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and drive them to market when the time is ripe

Here, it is illogical to equate a PASSIVE ACTION (to be done) with an ACTIVE ACTION ([to] leave them alone).
In addition, it is nonsensical to define a SERIES of actions performed at various times -- while the cattle feed themselves, when the time is ripe -- as THE ONLY THING that has to be done.
Further, it is questionable whether ANY action may rightly be considered a thing.
Eliminate D.

Dear GMATGuruNY

Do you find the OA correct in this question? How can it be 'is leave'? I think it is 'to leave'? Also, I think the language somehow colloquial.

Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 05:10
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate D.

Dear GMATGuruNY

Do you find the OA correct in this question? How can it be 'is leave'? I think it is 'to leave'? Also, I think the language somehow colloquial.

Thanks

OA: all one has to do with cattle is [to] leave them alone
Here, the to in brackets is implied because of the usage of the green to in the preceding clause.

This SC is included in Paper Test 37, an official test published by GMAC.
The paper tests are quite old and were written not by Pearson (the current administer of the GMAT) but by ETS (the former administer).
For this reason, some SCs in the paper tests -- including this SC -- do not seem reflective of the modern GMAT.
I recommend that you disregard this SC.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.

SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 07:33
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate D.

Dear GMATGuruNY

Thanks

OA: all one has to do with cattle is [to] leave them alone
Here, the to in brackets is implied because of the usage of the green to in the preceding clause.

This SC is included in Paper Test 37, an official test published by GMAC.
The paper tests are quite old and were written not by Pearson (the current administer of the GMAT) but by ETS (the former administer).
For this reason, some SCs in the paper tests -- including this SC -- do not seem reflective of the modern GMAT.
I recommend that you disregard this SC.

Thanks for your reply.

Regardless of the 'to' in the OA, How does OA maintain parallelism? i.e. How 'and' in both places maintain the parallelism?

Thanks
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 08:17
Mo2men wrote:

Regardless of the 'to' in the OA, How does OA maintain parallelism? i.e. How 'and' in both places maintain the parallelism?

C. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and drive them to market when the time is right.

Thanks

The green and serves to convey that the two connected actions (corral and drive) are both modified by the following adverb (when the time is right).
The red and serves to link the action performed while they feed (one has to leave them) to the two actions performed when the time is right (one has to corral them and drive them).

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY

Re: It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2018, 08:17

It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap