It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jack Welch MBA (Merged)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Jack Welch MBA (Merged) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2009, 07:00
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124562232014535347.html

Requirements:
Min GPA of 2.8.
GMAT not reqd.

Ivy League professors are being interviewed for Faculty positions.

Is Jack expecting that there would be surge in online education due to the slump in the economy?

Quote:
Boston research firm EduVentures Inc. estimates that 11% of the roughly 18.5 million U.S. college students took most of their classes online in the fall of 2008, up from 1% a decade ago.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 17

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Jack Welch MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2009, 03:05
Quote:
Chancellor's accrediting body, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, put the school on probation in November, citing concerns about its reputation, student turnover and resource allocation.

Hopefully they get this settled before taking tuition. I think the challenge with online MBAs - or any online degree I guess - is that while you can learn the subject matter the same as you would in a classroom, you lose the relationship-building and networking aspect of school. So while this may be good for someone who just wants to learn management, I don't think it would even come close to comparing to a FT/PT/EMBA program in terms of a career accelerator.

Then again, at only about $20,000 in cost, you're also paying far less than you would for a FT/PT/EMBA program.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 91

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-22-2013
GPA: 3.57
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Jack Welch Management Institute [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2009, 09:10
Jack Welch just started his online MBA in coordination with Chancellor University. They don't have GMAT as a requirement, however they prefer candidates with a BA in finance or related w/ >2.8 GPA. If the major is different then they want those students to do 5 bridge courses. More info at http://www.jwmi.com/admissions.html and [url]http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/jun2009/bs20090622_962094.htm
[/url]

Any take on this?

New to GMAT Club? Start here

Kindle Flashcards - Quant (Official Gmat Club, miguemick's Quant topics), and Verbal (Official Gmat Club) - in Kindle (azw3) format

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 91

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 6

Re: Jack Welch MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2009, 21:47
Jerz wrote:
Quote:
Chancellor's accrediting body, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, put the school on probation in November, citing concerns about its reputation, student turnover and resource allocation.

Hopefully they get this settled before taking tuition. I think the challenge with online MBAs - or any online degree I guess - is that while you can learn the subject matter the same as you would in a classroom, you lose the relationship-building and networking aspect of school. So while this may be good for someone who just wants to learn management, I don't think it would even come close to comparing to a FT/PT/EMBA program in terms of a career accelerator.

Then again, at only about $20,000 in cost, you're also paying far less than you would for a FT/PT/EMBA program.

I agree completely. The main reasons I am going for an MBA are the recruiting process and the networking. Doing an online MBA for 20k almost defeats the purpose, and IMO you're basically throwing money down the drain.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 6

Re: Jack Welch MBA   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2009, 21:47

Jack Welch MBA (Merged)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap