GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.

Jess: To be a woman in this century is far better than to be a woman i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Jess: To be a woman in this century is far better than to be a woman i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 10:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:23) correct 48% (01:34) wrong based on 156 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Jess: To be a woman in this century is far better than to be a woman in centuries past. Life expectancy for women has - for the first time - surpassed that for men and while only around 20℅ of college students in the late 1800s were women, today, almost 60℅ of college students are women.

Sam: However, women educated in the top-ranked colleges in the country earn only about 70℅ of what their male counterparts earn. Also, studies show that even today, in a number of industries, women are refused top management positions simply because they are women.

Which of the following is Jess most likely to say in response to Sam?

A. Women today are healthier and live longer than women in the 1800s, who primarily died because of child birth.
B. There are more women at the entry-level jobs of most industries than there are men.
C. Women today are better able to juggle professional and personal lives and a number of them are proving to be successful single mothers.
D. The proportion of women in the judicial and legislative branches of the country is at its highest and the country elected its first woman president recently.
E. Women are allowed more freedom today and are not likely to be sacrificed at the altar of marriage or in a witch hunt.

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
Jess: To be a woman in this century is far better than to be a woman i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 12:27
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Jess: To be a woman in this century is far better than to be a woman in centuries past. Life expectancy for women has - for the first time - surpassed that for men and while only around 20℅ of college students in the late 1800s were women, today, almost 60℅ of college students are women.

Sam: However, women educated in the top-ranked colleges in the country earn only about 70℅ of what their male counterparts earn. Also, studies show that even today, in a number of industries, women are refused top management positions simply because they are women.

A. Women today are healthier and live longer than women in the 1800s, who primarily died because of child birth.
B. There are more women at the entry-level jobs of most industries than there are men.
C. Women today are better able to juggle professional and personal lives and a number of them are proving to be successful single mothers.
D. The proportion of women in the judicial and legislative branches of the country is at its highest and the country elected its first woman president recently.
E. Women are allowed more freedom today and are not likely to be sacrificed at the altar of marriage or in a witch hunt.

IMO

Jess stated a few facts , which Sam countered with his own
now Jess has to throw something to prove he is right or state a few more facts to counter Sam.

This particular sentence from Sam stands out for me
in a number of industries, women are refused top management positions simply because they are women.

Almost all the answer choices start off pretty well , but end with something we are probably not looking for
such as in A
died because of child birth.
in C
proving to be successful single mothers
and in E
altar of marriage or in a witch hunt

D for me is the best response
The proportion of women in the judicial and legislative branches of the country is at its highest and the country elected its first woman president recently.

Directly counters Sam's
women are refused top management positions simply because they are women
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Jess: To be a woman in this century is far better than to be a woman i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 08:54
CounterSniper wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

IMO

Jess stated a few facts , which Sam countered with his own
now Jess has to throw something to prove he is right or state a few more facts to counter Sam.

This particular sentence from Sam stands out for me
in a number of industries, women are refused top management positions simply because they are women.

Almost all the answer choices start off pretty well , but end with something we are probably not looking for
such as in A
died because of child birth.
in C
proving to be successful single mothers
and in E
altar of marriage or in a witch hunt

D for me is the best response
The proportion of women in the judicial and legislative branches of the country is at its highest and the country elected its first woman president recently.

Directly counters Sam's
women are refused top management positions simply because they are women
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Jess: To be a woman in this century is far better than to be a woman i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 04:17
What's wrong with B, please help!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 04:24
Rajat_92 wrote:

Sam puts an argument that even after educating from top-ranked colleges, women earns only 70% of their male counterparts. Also, that the women are not offered top ranked positions.

To counter this argument, the correct answer choice will be the one which says that women are actually offered top ranked positions which is answer choice D.

Answer choice B states that women are offered entry level positions, which agrees in argument with Sam and thus is not the favourable answer choice

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS :-)

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 04:45
Rajat_92 wrote:

We are looking for something , which will counter - top management positions
Talking only about entry level will not help Jess's cause
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Jess: To be a woman in this century is far better than to be a woman i &nbs [#permalink] 19 Aug 2018, 04:45

Jess: To be a woman in this century is far better than to be a woman i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap