GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

JHU Carey vs UT Rotman ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
JHU Carey vs UT Rotman ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 07:39
Hello!

I got admitted to JHU Carey Flex MBA PT and UT Rotman Evening PT with 10k.

Canadian, working in Toronto
Current role: 4 years working in TECH - one of FANGs - 50%sales 50%account management
Work experience 2years as programmer
Degree: Engineering at one of the top Canadian schools
Long term Goal: lead services/sales in tech industry

Good thing about Carey is that it will give me an exposure to US academics. I am not too sure how important that is as I will most likely want to stay in Canada.
I would have to attend in person for Rotman and online for Carey. This would mean that I have to spend more time commuting for Rotman.
I am looking to gain solid education and anything that would help me to advance as a leader in the tech industry.

Tuition comes out to pretty much the same with Rotman's scholarship.

Which one would you choose?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 12:24
neurimbo wrote:
Hello!

I got admitted to JHU Carey Flex MBA PT and UT Rotman Evening PT with 10k.

Canadian, working in Toronto
Current role: 4 years working in TECH - one of FANGs - 50%sales 50%account management
Work experience 2years as programmer
Degree: Engineering at one of the top Canadian schools
Long term Goal: lead services/sales in tech industry

Good thing about Carey is that it will give me an exposure to US academics. I am not too sure how important that is as I will most likely want to stay in Canada.
I would have to attend in person for Rotman and online for Carey. This would mean that I have to spend more time commuting for Rotman.
I am looking to gain solid education and anything that would help me to advance as a leader in the tech industry.

Tuition comes out to pretty much the same with Rotman's scholarship.

Which one would you choose?

Hi neurimbo

Congrats on admission to both programs.

Now, I dont understand why would you do MBA online ?

I dont understand why would anybody do any program online, especially MBA. :)

MBA is all about networking !

That's prime asset you will gain in the program, otherwise you can read/study books on your own.

Of course MBA degree will help you to land managerial position or shift career, or both.

Since you are Canadian, and you want to stay there in Toronto, you concluded correctly that American degree doesn't carry any (specific) weight for you.

Especially since you cannot get any cultural experience by doing online MBA, there is not much for you in JHU Carey option.

Rotman is the best there is in Canada, I assume you should know this already, so why is there conundrum ?

Just because of the commute ?

Real people, real lessons, real colleagues, that is life experience.

You will form lifelong lasting friendships and business relationships with Rotman option.

JHU Carey is not anywhere near in top 100 in US alone, as per US NEWS part time rankings !

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... e-rankings

No wonder Bloomberg Businesweek has the same opinion, again no JHU Carey.

https://find-mba.com/mba-rankings/bloom ... -us-2015/2

On the other hand, Bloomberg Businesweek placed Rotman on 3. place in Canada and 22. overall in Non-US rankings for 2017.

https://find-mba.com/mba-rankings/bloom ... on-us-2017

Only two Canadian schools placed above in rankings, like University of Western Ontario - Richard Ivey School of Business (good school but not better than Rotman) and Queen's University - The Stephen J.R. Smith School of Business (certainly not better than Rotman) are in fact inferior in terms of brand and reputation, locally or globally.

If you have some specific personal reasons, like family etc., as reason why you dont want to commute, that's fine, I will not get into that, otherwise Rotman is clearly much better choice !

Hope this helps you to decide !

Good luck and keeps us posted with your final decision ;)

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
Re: JHU Carey vs UT Rotman ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 13:25
Thank you billionaire

I always wanted to gain some sort of US university exposure, but never had a good reason for it.
Honestly, I still don't have a good reason to choose JHU Carey over Rotman other than the fact that I kind of have a soft spot for US universities.
I work with Americans mostly and they don't recognize Canadian universities - not a good reason to choose Carey right...? I know..
I am raised in a family where Ivey league and reputable school is everything - again.. stupid but I really can't just get that off my mind

But you are right, Rotman is generally a better school counting in the importance of networking and school rankings.

I think I just needed reassurance that Rotman would regardless be a better choice for me, and may be just hope to do an EMBA at a more reputable school in States in the future.

Thanks again!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 12:53
neurimbo wrote:
Thank you billionaire

I always wanted to gain some sort of US university exposure, but never had a good reason for it.
Honestly, I still don't have a good reason to choose JHU Carey over Rotman other than the fact that I kind of have a soft spot for US universities.
I work with Americans mostly and they don't recognize Canadian universities - not a good reason to choose Carey right...? I know..
I am raised in a family where Ivey league and reputable school is everything - again.. stupid but I really can't just get that off my mind

But you are right, Rotman is generally a better school counting in the importance of networking and school rankings.

I think I just needed reassurance that Rotman would regardless be a better choice for me, and may be just hope to do an EMBA at a more reputable school in States in the future.

Thanks again!

Hi neurimbo

I understand your weakness for US universities.

I get where you mind set comes from.

Those Americans are just ignorant fools :)

There are also a lot excellent schools in Europe that they probably never heard of.

I understand that some of them might be your bosses and that you value their opinion at least in practical sense, but you should inform them that if there would be some kind of Canadian Ivy league list Rotman would be number 1 (UBC probably second for business education ), that's equal to Harvard, Stanford or MIT in Canadian terms.

https://www.macleans.ca/education/best- ... 8-ranking/

https://www.mbacrystalball.com/business-schools/canada

Rotman tops in every possible category,Top Business Schools, Full & Part Time MBA, Executive MBA etc.

https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... anada/2018

https://www.topmba.com/mba-programs/top ... ams-canada

Even esteemed American US News agrees :

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... s-business

Believe me JHU would not impress your American colleagues/bosses since it is not top school in US.

Also, there is really no real value in doing online degree, especially not MBA online degree.

Even if choice would be between Harvard Online MBA for instance, I would still rather suggest Rotman real thing MBA.

You should be proud to go to Rotman MBA !

After completion of Rotman MBA it is quite possible that you will change job, firm or career, keep in mind that.

Certainly you can expect to shift on upper level in corporate ladder even if you stay in same firm or industry.

So beside it is ridicules, I would not put any weight on opinion of your (american) peers or superiors, since those roles can soon easily quite change.

You are among the best in your country, and Canada is indeed great country and economy !

Also, be aware that Rotman is certainly well known in US (or Europe).

Enjoy your MBA journey ;)

Your kudos are much appreciated

JHU Carey vs UT Rotman ($) &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jun 2018, 12:53

JHU Carey vs UT Rotman ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap