Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 12:39 It is currently 10 May 2024, 12:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Re: Job prospect after MSF ?? [#permalink]
Kudos
you will surely get a job if you do well, but as I said do not expect universities to gurantee ? Like my friend this yesr from ISB didnt get placement though last 3 or 4 years there was 100% placement.

And one more thing, most of the universites for MS in finance expect GRE and not GMAt, check it out ...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Kudos
yagnesh buddy first off congrats on clearing CFA level-1! and best of luck if you decide to pursue level-2 next year.

Regarding Masters in Finance, I would suggest that firstly you try and get an idea as to whats the difference between
'MS Finance' and 'Masters in Financial Engineering (MFE)' and which one you think suits your goals. If I may state very briefly MS Finance is more theoretical and deals with basic and advanced principles of finance/(financial economics, in some cases); MFE (also known by other abbreviations) is very mathematical and technical in nature and focuses on model-building and programming for financial products. Naturally the focus of each degree is different in terms of job placements and up until recently before the crisis, these financial engineers (quants) were in a lot of demand. Some speculate, their demand will rise again, others consider their time to be over, in any case thats a separate debate. Once you decide what you want/can do (and I use the word 'can' for the MFE because the Maths involved is not everyone's cup of tea) you will be in a much better position to decide on a degree and from where. The reason for this is that most top Universities like Princeton, Berkeley etc have quantitative finance programs, that is MFE and their placements till last year seemed awesome. Others like Vanderbilt are pure finance courses i-e MSF and their placements stats don't compare very well with MFE but then again its an apples - oranges comparison to start with. Do check out this https://media.ft.com/cms/7d22b278-3b89-11dd-9cb2-0000779fd2ac.pdf . On a separate note also check London Business School's Masters in Finance program, its requires experience and although its a mixture of quant and pure finance, its placement stats can surely waive much of your concerns about a job.
Right out of undergrad I was thinking to go for the MSF (not cut out to do MFE), but my assessment was that an MBA at a later stage would be more beneficial.
Hope that helps! :)

yagnesh wrote:
i m ready to invest my 3 yrs and $40000 if there is good chance of getting a good job after MS finance.

please guide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your response.

I believe that I will be more comfortable and can do great if go for M SC Finance or master in finance rather than MFE as i m doing CFA.

My only concern was I shouldn't be in jobless position after finishing the course. As I have mentioned above I did my Masters in Accounts and Finance from Australia from some very low level college where there was no quality of study or students, and wasted 2 yrs,lots of money ,energy, and didn't get any job. That was my biggest mistake.

I m just expecting a decent job at least after MSc Fin.

Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know how much should i get in GMAT and tofel to stronger my case for admission in good universities??

Degree : B.SC. mathematics 2004
Master In Accounting And financial management 2007 Latrobe University(Australia)
CFA Level 1
CFA Level 2 Preparing
Exp : Managing my dad's business and working as an accountant from last 1.5 yrs.

please help me out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Well buddy I can't evaluate profiles but just like anyone else I would suggest you compare yours scores with the average admission stats of each program you are considering. And when you look at the programs one by one, you will get an idea of how good their placement stats are. I'm guessing you are an international student, in which case US does have problems, thats is, it can be pretty difficult to get an H1B visa after a one year (or 10 month) masters, especially in this economic climate. (looking at the latest recovery news with skepticism). Keeping this in mind try to dig deeper in to each program's placement stats, meaning find out what percentage of international students were part of the program and what percentage of them were able to secure jobs (and also the H1B visa). The point is that many students especially Chinese/east-Asian students are able to secure jobs back home, I don't know much about others but I do know south-asians have tough time finding a job back home and when they find one its a terrible return on their investment.

On the other hand you have much better outlook from an MBA program or so the placements stats reveal. A rough but in my humble opinion a good way to check this is to look at the MBA program of a b-school which is also offering a Masters in finance degree. Take Vanderbilt or Boston College or U of Rochester, neither of them is a highly ranked b-school but they all have decent b-schools. Compare their MBA placement stats vs MSF (M.S in Finance for Rochester) and do a mental regression for the work experience advantage MBAs have and then figure out which one is good. You do the same thing for Hass MFE and you realize that their MFE placements compare very well with their MBA employment stats. I hope you get my point. hope that helps. :)

Quote:
Thanks for your response.

I believe that I will be more comfortable and can do great if go for M SC Finance or master in finance rather than MFE as i m doing CFA.

My only concern was I shouldn't be in jobless position after finishing the course. As I have mentioned above I did my Masters in Accounts and Finance from Australia from some very low level college where there was no quality of study or students, and wasted 2 yrs,lots of money ,energy, and didn't get any job. That was my biggest mistake.

I m just expecting a decent job at least after MSc Fin.

Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know how much should i get in GMAT and tofel to stronger my case for admission in good universities??

Degree : B.SC. mathematics 2004
Master In Accounting And financial management 2007 Latrobe University(Australia)
CFA Level 1
CFA Level 2 Preparing
Exp : Managing my dad's business and working as an accountant from last 1.5 yrs.

please help me out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Well spending money to earn degree from accredited online university is worth, else its wastage. Enquire about the university's accreditation in which you are planning to get enrolled. Doing degree from US based university is good and you can review the benefits n job prospects of the same from the link given below. I found this while searching for online education, have a look:

https://www.thedegreeexperts.com/online-degree.aspx

All the accredited US based universities are listed out here. Rest doing a degree from any university either US or UK doesn't gurantee you for assured job. It depends on your skill and talent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Warwick
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
great post MJ2009.
superbly put.

On a connected note, however, looking at the current market situations and as you rightly put that the demand for MFE graduates will fall, what do you think are the admissions panel thinking when you write in your essay and applications that you wish to become a quant? Are they looking for specific career goals, that explain clearly where and what you'd like to do as a result of the degree, e.g. join academia/research to explore the thriving Islamic finance industry and explore quantitative opportunities within that field?

Another related question: You mention that the math involved in quite tough and rigorous. Would you recommend that I have chances of admissions with a double major in accounting and finance from a top uk business school and have no math/programming/computer-science or related technical background? Or would you suggest that I top up my knowledge of math and programming with some part-time electives and apply a year later to boost my chances?

I'd appreciate any comments for the above questions.
thanks,
Megan
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'd just like to point out that you keep mentioning "3 years and 40,000" and that most programs are only 9-12 months. The tuition itself seems to vary substantially from mid 20K to 50K, plus living expenses.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am also perplexed regarding the issue. I have done bachelors in Engineering, GRE 1340, TOEFL 99. Have strong research background and am admitted to many to University for MS in Electrical Engg.
But, I want to make a career in Finance, so am planning to give GMAT, Clear CFA L1 in dec and L2 in June and apply for MS financial Engg.

Kindly evaluate my profile if I met these goals:
GMAT 700, TOEFL 100
CFA Level 2 cleared
Old Research in Reliability of Electrical devices
One year PG Diploma (Grad level courses) in Finance from BIIF college India

Will this combination be good enough to get admitted in top Financial engineering program ?
Is there any chance of Research Assistance or other position for CFA level 2 guys?
What can I do to increase my chances of funding, will some research in Finance with professors and publishing some research help in getting some position?
Intern
Intern
Schools:Aalto school of economics
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
hi there,

i would like to know the prospects after doing masters in finance from finland.Except Alto university as getting admission there is too tough.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts