It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just back from Test centre, disappointed, something to share

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 4

Re: Just back from Test centre, disappointed, something to share [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2008, 10:56
judokan wrote:
marshpa wrote:
Believe it or not, I tried mathematically what judokan is saying and apparently found correctly. Please see the attached xlsheet. What I did, I calculated the the first score with 11 uncounted questions and second score with all counted questions, I found that 41 on practice test can turn to 34 in the real gmat, if we account 11 uncounted questions. So my analysis reveals that a testtaker is more vonurable to this counted/uncounted gimmicks if he/she is between late 30 and early 40 verbal score range. below this and after this range, surprise is less. Remember, its just my mathematical model to represent the theory that we developed on this forum.

After doing this analysis all I can say-
Maintain accuracy level among all stages in the test, and for all streams of questions.
Try to gain mid 40s in the practice test so you can beat the element of surprize.

Interesting analysis, tks marshpa!

I guess if all my questions are counted, maybe the score would be 35-37? still have room to improve.

I give myself maximum two days to think about what happened. Then I will start prepare for retake on Oct 13.

My personality - just do not like to give up.

Same here buddy, I gave GMAT on 4th sept. I am also thinking to retake in oct and nail the GMAT this time. Lets see what happens. Keep sharing your gmat progress and preparation tips like before.

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2008, 16:31
Very sorry to hear that. I am also a victim of the verbal melt down and scored a terrible 29 although I scored more than 37 even in my first GMATprep.

I also thought like judokon that uncounted questions could make the difference. If so, then the score depends on our luck.
I heard someone say that he click through the last five questions and still scored a 40.

I had no time for the last five questions and just clicked through something, but I felt I did very well in on the rest of the verbal questions. Something is really fishy. I am an Indian not a native speaker.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2008, 17:10
I'm a little confused here. Are the "experimental" questions being scored now (apparently) or are you guys are skipping or guessing on the last few questions towards the end of the verbal?

Remember folks, there is a very severe penalty for leaving *any* questions unanswered on the GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2008, 21:38
solaris1 wrote:
I'm a little confused here. Are the "experimental" questions being scored now (apparently) or are you guys are skipping or guessing on the last few questions towards the end of the verbal?

Remember folks, there is a very severe penalty for leaving *any* questions unanswered on the GMAT.

I know about the penalty. So I did guessed them. And click the last "next" with 10 seconds left

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 2

Schools: Tepper '11

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 09:54
The belief that one MUST finish every question has always been the case. You have got to pace yourself so that you can at least read the questions at the end and guess them (not blindly).

I understand the conjecture in this thread and it is certainly possible, but occam's razor dictates that the simpler answer is more likely, you ran out of time, did not get the last 3 right which you had to guess on and this is what really hurt the score.

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 2

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 11:11
Yes ... But we cannot completely rule out what judokan has said

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 12:50
Guys, to be honest, I'm not sure it's worth thinking about this. Especially since the conclusion is that you should get as many questions right as possible. Isn't that what we're all trying to do anyways? There's no point in trying to figure out the system...

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 07:14
zoinnk wrote:
Guys, to be honest, I'm not sure it's worth thinking about this. Especially since the conclusion is that you should get as many questions right as possible. Isn't that what we're all trying to do anyways? There's no point in trying to figure out the system...

Agree with you partly.

Also, it is important to remember that the GmatPrep is not reliable. Not cause of the difficulty level. We should aim at 95% hit rate in practice!

Re: Just back from Test centre, disappointed, something to share   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2008, 07:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ]