GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Just finished today and got 740 (51Q & 38V) in my first attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Reviews Badge
Just finished today and got 740 (51Q & 38V) in my first attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 19:28
I just came home from the testing center and here I am for the review. I took the test this afternoon and got 740 (51Q & 38V). The first thing I want to do is to write a review about my preparation, as a way to say “Thank you” to the GmatClub, which I own a lot to. I will try to be as concise as I can :grin:
Let’s start.
Total learning time: 5 months (I would say I learn at a pretty decent pace, no rush at all)
For the Quant session:
First, I have to say that my college graduation was 5 years ago. Just to imagine how long I’ve left school. When I started to learn about the test, I almost forgot all the mathematical knowledge that I’d learned in my high school. I decided that I should give myself at least a month to go over all the math concepts, especially the Number Properties, Sequence, and Combination & Permutation. While going over the concepts, I trained myself with very basic exercises. I came over a good deal of free exercise collection on the Internet (big thank to many unknown collectors) that I think would be helpful for many of you who might happen to forget so many things as I did. I think the most important thing at this stage is to give yourself plenty good time to slowly insert the knowledge into your brain. Don’t be upset even if you take quite a long time just to figure out a very simple question! At this stage, remember: NO RUSH.
The second thing I have to say is that I didn’t take any mock test before the exam. The only things I took were the 2 free sample tests given by the GMAC, the first one 5 months ago (which I score 700) and the second just 2 weeks before my test date (which I score 720). After the first one, I knew that I had to work out more on my Data Sufficiency. The Problem Solving, however, is quite easy to deal with.
The third thing is that I highly recommend you guys to stay with the official sources. Even though I didn’t buy any online tutorial course, I was quite confident to say that I went over almost all downloadable sources of math questions, and you know, nothing comes close to the questions from the real creator of the exam. I even signed up for GmatClub and Mahattan question banks, but I would suggest that you not try these questions unless you’re at your upper-mediate math level. I don’t recommend Mahattan math questions; however I think GmatClub did a great job with its extremely hard questions. But always remember: the actual exam is indeed much easier than you might think!
And the last thing I want to say is, I don’t know how grateful I am for the help of Bunuel. I mean, even though I knew the Quant section would not be too hard for me, I still tried to learn from every question and explanation from Bunuel. I even had a collection of difficult questions, the explanations of which are mostly from Bunuel. As my upcoming major requires lots of mathematical knowledge, I really enjoy these learning experiences. Bunuel, I have to say that you inspire me to be the best version of me in Math. ?
That might be enough for Quant section. If you have any question regarding this part, please feel free to PM me.
For the Verbal section:
I have to say is that, I don’t even know whether I did good on this section @@ I’m serious. I even laughed at myself when I finished my exam and looked at the screen. I can’t believe that I passed this section with 38. There’s a strange feeling for this section, because I would say that the actual questions are more challenging than I thought. I admitted that I was wrong when I had decided not to buy any official exam pack from GMAC (anyone can tell me how they resemble the real test?). I searched here and there and only did some official questions from 2007 & 2008 exam pack. But somehow I think that is not enough for a foreigner like me.
For the RC part, I think this one is the most frustrating. Even though I’m not a bad reader (I scored 30/30 in my first attempt on the TOELF test), I find the RC part is quite, what can I say, annoying. To be honest, I don’t like the wording of the creator. So I went over all RC questions in the 2018 official guide and in the 2007 & 2008 exam packs just to make myself familiar with the wording of the passages and questions. This strategy was also applied when I took my TOELF test. Let’s think simply: the more exercises you do, the more you become familiar with the “style” of the exam creator. For those who learn English as a secondary language as I do, the complicated wording of GMAC is “dangerous”, because I have to scan here and there and then read the question and answer again and again before picking up the answer. There’s no definite recommendation for this part. Just want to say that you should try to do as many official reading passages as possible.
For the SC, I would say that I hate it, too (I know, too many hates are not good @@). Please just pardon my feeling. However, I believe just as the RC part, the SC requires practice and practice. I don’t have much to say because I got stuck quite a bit with SC today. The problems that I encounter are still tricky and, what can I say, unexpected. For a non-native speaker like me, I was quite satisfied with how I performed today because I know it’s not easy to spot even a subtle mistake. But please do not be discouraged by my review. SC is not my strength, but it might be yours. Just focus on what you do best.
For the CR, I think today questions are quite more difficult on the sources (again, I think I didn’t try enough good practice sources) that I learned. However, I noticed that the GmatClub offers really good CR questions in their CAT tests. It is one of my biggest mistakes for not trying as many of such questions as possible while I was still reviewing for the test.
In overall, I was quite pleased with this result. I don’t have much to say except my dearest wish for many forum members, who are selfless in their help. There’s one thing I know for sure is that I’ve learned a lot from GmatClub. Without the forum, I’m not even sure whether I can make it today. Let’s continue to do this forever! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
P.S: as I just finished my test, I cannot provide the verify link today. So I attached my unofficial score for your ref.
Attachments

Inkedgmat_LI.jpg
Inkedgmat_LI.jpg [ 891.06 KiB | Viewed 752 times ]

SC Moderator
G
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
CAT Tests
Re: Just finished today and got 740 (51Q & 38V) in my first attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 22:47
Many Congratulations elainetianfong, and all the best for your upcoming ventures !! :-) :thumbup:

The few, the fearless !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: Just finished today and got 740 (51Q & 38V) in my first attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 12:20
Congratulations!! Awesome score indeed!

Q51 is just super elite!!

Loved your debrief, its just as real as it gets. A V38 is just amazing, with the limited resources that you used for Verbal

Good tip for RC, to stick to official passages.

Thanks,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Re: Just finished today and got 740 (51Q & 38V) in my first attempt &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jun 2018, 12:20

Just finished today and got 740 (51Q & 38V) in my first attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap