GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

K is a data set containing five real numbers. If A is the arithmetic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Other)
K is a data set containing five real numbers. If A is the arithmetic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 09:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:57) correct 61% (02:13) wrong based on 59 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

K is a data set containing five real numbers. If A is the arithmetic mean of K, and B is the median of K, is |A − B| ≤ 2?
1) The range of K is 4
2) The elements of K are distinct positive integers

If you feel the post helped you then do send me the kudos (damn theya re more valuable than $)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: K is a data set containing five real numbers. If A is the arithmetic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 20:04
Plug and play. Try random digits:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Mean = median = 3.
1, 1, 1. 4. 5. Mean = 12/5. Median = 1.

In both cases, the magnitude between A and B is ≤ 2. A is sufficient.

Can reject B as it says distinct and second example above proves it is not necessary.

If this helped, please give kudos!

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Re: K is a data set containing five real numbers. If A is the arithmetic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 20:40
Here is my take on this question:

By asking this |A − B| ≤ 2? the question is actually asking whether the mean and the median differ by at most 2?

Statement 1
If the set K is spread across just 4 numbers the values of mean and median would lie between these four numbers. Hence the difference between the two would never be more than 2 or -2 (depending on which one of them is greater, this is why the question had a modulus in it, I think). Sufficient to answer the question.

Statement 2
If the elements are distinct and positive the median and mean may not necesarily be close to each other. Not everytime at least. Not sufficient.

Hence Answer should be A.
Raksat wrote:
K is a data set containing five real numbers. If A is the arithmetic mean of K, and B is the median of K, is |A − B| ≤ 2?
1) The range of K is 4

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 21:27
Raksat wrote:
1) The range of K is 4

|A − B| ≤ 2 means the difference between the mean and median is NOT greater than 2.

1) The range of K is 4
what can be the max difference between the two when median is least possible
so let the least number and also the median be x, so numbers will be x,x,x,x+5,x+5.
the two largest are x+5 so that the SUM and thus the average is largest
so
    a) Median = x
    b) average = \(\frac{x+x+x+x+5+x+5}{5}=\frac{5x+10}{5}=x+2\)
difference = (x+2)-(x)=2
thus ans is YEs
sufficient

1,2,3,100,101..... ans NO
1,2,3,4,5........ ans YES
Insuff

A

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

GMAT Club Bot
Re: K is a data set containing five real numbers. If A is the arithmetic &nbs [#permalink] 07 Aug 2018, 21:27

K is a data set containing five real numbers. If A is the arithmetic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap