It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan CAT: 680 to Manhattan CAT: 640 in one week

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Kaplan CAT: 680 to Manhattan CAT: 640 in one week [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 15:35
I just started taking practice CATs and I can't help but feel a bit disappointed in the 40 pt drop from last weekend to this weekend. Anyone else experience similar scores? I plan on taking the exam in about 2 months, so I have plenty of time to bolster my score, but I'm having a hard time determining where I stand after these two scores.

Thanks in advance!

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Kaplan CAT: 680 to Manhattan CAT: 640 in one week [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 20:12
Hi mcdo,

These two CAT Scores are closer to one another than you might realize. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, these 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed roughly the same each time (about 660 +/- a few points).

With 2 months of study time, you could significantly improve on these results, but before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Kaplan CAT: 680 to Manhattan CAT: 640 in one week [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 09:01
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi mcdo,

These two CAT Scores are closer to one another than you might realize. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, these 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed roughly the same each time (about 660 +/- a few points).

With 2 months of study time, you could significantly improve on these results, but before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

I appreciate the reply, Rich.

1) I've been studying for about 2 months so far. I work full time, so this consists of an hour or two in the evenings along with longer days on the weekends.
2) So far, I've gone through the 2017 Official GMAT Guide problems and the Manhattan Prep materials.
3) Kaplan: Q40 V44 - 680
Manhattan #1: Q41 V:36 - 640

4) Goal score is at least ~720
5) I'll be taking the GMAT on December 2nd most likely
6) Planning to apply in Early January 2018
7) Planning to apply to UCLA and USC

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Kaplan CAT: 680 to Manhattan CAT: 640 in one week [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 15:03
Hi mcdo,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so you should plan to take one of those CATs next.

Your Score Goal is absolutely achievable in the timeframe that you've described - and to that end I would suggest that you focus on the Quant section. Many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program, so raising that score will help you in a couple of different ways. The study materials that you've used so far have been 'book heavy', but many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Thus, you might want to invest in some new, non-book resources that will keep you focused on the Tactics, patterns and little 'secrets' to the GMAT.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Kaplan CAT: 680 to Manhattan CAT: 640 in one week   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2017, 15:03

Kaplan CAT: 680 to Manhattan CAT: 640 in one week

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap