Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Kaplan score enigma [#permalink]
mohater wrote:
f22raptor wrote:
A month back, I took Kaplan 7 online test and scored 620 (Quant correct 68% and Verbal correct 56%). Very disappointed with the score, I put in a month to go through the Kaplan and OG12 study material again. I took Kaplan 6 test yesterday and scored 630 ((Quant correct 84%% and Verbal correct 65%). Again not a good score BUT what I fail to understand is that although my % correct answers in Quant increased from 68% to 84% (first wrong answer was Q15) and marginal increase in Verbal correct % , but that is not reflected in my overall score (I think!!). My overall score increased by only 10 points. Can someone explain what could be the reason??

See the below on strike rate.

f22raptor wrote:
Also, I used the score calculator on GMATClub. For a 630Kaplan score, the GMATclub score calculator estimats a GMAT score of 710. Is this calculator realistic??

Thanks

Kaplan exam used to grade more aggressively than the real thing (many people noted this). Per our Kaplan rep, this has since changed.

f22raptor wrote:
I though I will tag one more Q - to get 700, how may Q can one afford to get wrong (appx)?

There is no strike rate for getting a 700. You could miss 40% of the problems and score 700, you could miss 40% of the problems and score 500. The GMAT is adaptive and strike rate alone is meaningless. You must combine strike rate with difficulty.

thanks for your reply. I bought the Kaplan online course in April 10. Any idea whether I will be scored under the old Kaplan scoring regime or the new one?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
f22raptor wrote:

thanks for your reply. I bought the Kaplan online course in April 10. Any idea whether I will be scored under the old Kaplan scoring regime or the new one?
HI f22raptor,

The 'old' scoring regime that students had issues with were discontinued years ago--unless you're working off of a book from 2007 or earlier, you can use Kaplan scores as an accurate gauge. However, at Kaplan, we are constantly striving to make our algorithms as test-like as possible. An even newer algorithm for scoring was instituted in the past few months, and I believe you may have missed them. But don't worry two much; the most recent change was relatively minor and unlikely to have significantly impacted your scores.
GMAT Club Bot