GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 09:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kaplan test vs actual GMAt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Kaplan test vs actual GMAt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 02:51
From experience, is the kaplan test(CD practice test) almost the same as the real thing?Just took 3 Kaplan CD tests which all scored below 600! It's really terrifying cause I've been acing most of the tests on the OG book. Surprisingly I got such a low score on kaplan!
Anyone encountered the same thing?
Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: INSEAD Class of July '10
Re: Kaplan test vs actual GMAt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 03:42
Kaplan scoring is NOT accurate. You get a much lower score than you would have on the real test for the same perf. I guess it is a result of their "if you score less on the test than on your initial test after a course at Kapln, you get your money back". I personnally scored between 50 to 80 points less on the Kaplan CATs than on the real test.

I actually found that Kaplan CATs were:
- easier on the quant part than the actual GMAT
- harder on the verbal part than the actual GMAT
- scored more severly than the actual GMAT

I really think that the most accurate source is GMATPrep: have you taken one of these tests?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 18:55
Thanks OSKI. That's really comforting. I freaked out the moment i saw my score, couldn't get myself to review anymore. but with your post, I'm now more motivated to get back on track. I'll try the gmat prep later. Thanks
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 19:21
From months of reading the posts in this forum, I can tell you that a Kaplan score is virtually 80 or 90 points less than what your real score would be on the GMAT day. Your score would be somewhere in the upper 600s or low 700s. As the previous poster recommended, GMATPrep is the best tool to assess you preparedness.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2008, 21:08
I would definitely take the GMATPrep tests instead, but are you reviewing mistakes between tests or just taking one after another? (You mentioned you "just took" 3 Kaplan tests.) Make sure you take time to review between tests, then work on those weaknesses with the Official Guide and strategy books.

The Princeton Review tests are pretty good, much more accurate than Kaplan, so I would plan to take those too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 21:40
Took a Kaplan practice test on a Monday in August...scored 580.

Took the GMAT the following Saturday...scored a 710.

Moral of the story: Don't trust the Kaplan tests.

Also, the set up and the content of their verbal questions "feel different" than the real thing. Sorry I can't explain better than that.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 22:38
Leverandon wrote:

Also, the set up and the content of their verbal questions "feel different" than the real thing. Sorry I can't explain better than that.

Thx leverandon. Really comforting to know. Took the kaplan online test and got 650, and then took the kaplan CD test, and got 550 and 580. Was so depressed, couldn't get myself to study again! which other tests did you take aside from kaplan?what did you get in your gmatprep?
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2008, 14:25
Am I the only one out there that is experiencing the opposite? I scored 770 on Kaplan test, but I only scored 660 on the real one. I can't even explain why.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2008, 19:12
Don’t Hate the Player, Hate the Game

Kaplan test will tell you that you still need to learn a lot.

GMAT Prep will tell you it is okay not to know everything.

And what would you say ?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 10:47
I never scored 700+ in Kaplan tests but scored 740+ in MGMAT/GMATPrep tests and 760 in final exam.

I would recommend not taking Kaplan tests as they throw you off and hardly give you much of a constructive feedback on your studies. Take the Manhattan online tests and GMATPrep tests instead.

I took my GMAT last week. Here is my "experience" post if you are interested.
8-t70141

All the best.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 11:13
Kaplan score is not the real reflective score or indicator of your performance. Just do not go with the score rather try to learn all those concepts taught in the answer explanation.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 11:59
Let's say this I scored 770 in Kaplan, 730 in MGMAT, and 760 in GMATprep, but a 660 in the real exam. I don't know what to believe anymore.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 14:29
Eileen, if you were scoring that highly on practice tests but only got a 660 on the real thing, then I would say nerves might have gotten to you. Did you feel really different when you were taking the test? Did it feel like it was going well?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 03:33
Wow eileen. that's a one of a kind experience. Could it be that the score you just indicated (for your GMAT Prep and Kaplan) is the result for your 2nd or 3rd try already? You might have subconsciously taken note of the right answers?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 07:05
redbeanaddict wrote:
Leverandon wrote:

Thx leverandon. Really comforting to know. Took the kaplan online test and got 650, and then took the kaplan CD test, and got 550 and 580. Was so depressed, couldn't get myself to study again! which other tests did you take aside from kaplan?what did you get in your gmatprep?
Thanks

I took both of the free online ones from the official mba.com site. On the first one I scored a 640. I studied for a month (using real questions in the Official Guide to the GMAT). Then I scored a 700. I took the test two weeks later (after a bit more studying) and got a 710.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 15:25
nevergiveup wrote:
Am I the only one out there that is experiencing the opposite? I scored 770 on Kaplan test, but I only scored 660 on the real one. I can't even explain why.

I scored 710 in the Kaplan test today; however, I´ve had more wrong answers than usual.
I´ve scored 3 700 and 1 710 in the GMAT PREP, so I think it should be around that score.
I felt the exam was much harder than the GMAT PREP, but I could make more mistakekd without affecting my score significantly.
Re: Kaplan test vs actual GMAt &nbs [#permalink] 10 Apr 2018, 15:25

Kaplan test vs actual GMAt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap